Geovid Pro 42mm FOV

parshal

WKR
Something seems amiss with the published FOV info for the Geovid Pro's. I have the 8x32 and am considering to 42's when they come out. FOV is fairly important to me. Here's what I found.

8x32 - 405'
8x42 - 390'
10x32 - 345'
10x42 - 312'
8x56 - 387'

How can the 8x32's have more FOV than the 42 and the 56? And, the 10x42 at 312', that's tiny in comparison to the others. This has to be a misprint.

For comparison to other top tier glass.

EL Range - 359'
Zeiss Victory RF - 344'

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Where did you find that data? I thought it was 342 ft at 1K yards. if you want me to check with the rep to confirm let me know. I'll see if I have a pair here and can pull the data from the instructions.

nobody

WKR
Best way to describe it is by thinking about looking through a toilet paper tube vs. a paper towel tube vs. a wrapping paper tube. They're all about the same diameter of tube, but the extra length of the paper towel tube and the wrapping paper tube further occlude your vision, like blinders on a horse. It's a common misconception that a larger objective lens means a wider field of view, but that's not accurate. And it's because typically a 50 or 56mm objective lens bino is longer than it's 42mm counterpart.

What you're seeing is accurate. As a general rule, typically the binocular with the widest field of view in any lineup is going to be the 8x32, all other things equal. This is true of any company or any lineup. Major downside is the poor low light performance. So you'll have a tradeoff to get to the widest field of view, that being low light performance and magnification.

The only bino I can think of where the 50 has a wider field of view than the 42 is in Vortex's Viper HD line. Otherwise, this standard holds up true across lines of optics, no matter the brand.

You also can't compare Leica's 42mm Trinovids to their Ultravid 50's either, so this also only truly holds true when staying within a particular "family" of optics (Trinovid, Ultravid, Viper, Razor, BX4, BX5, ETC.)

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's 342' a 1000 yd it's 312 for those wearing glasses.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230327-115100_Write on PDF.jpg
    Screenshot_20230327-115100_Write on PDF.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20230327-115015_Write on PDF.jpg
    Screenshot_20230327-115015_Write on PDF.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 32

fatbacks

WKR
Was looking at the different field of views as well. Seems odd that my Geovid HD-B 10x42's have a FOV 374' compared to the new Pro's have a 342' FOV. Also, there are few different FOV's listed on different parts of the internet.

Curious to see what people think when they get them in their hands.

fatbacks

WKR
I spoke To Leica USA about this yesterday. The guy I spoke to there said he has an inquiry into Germany right now to clarify this. Seems even Leica HQ here in the US still has some differing specs on these

Did you happen to ask them if they had started shipping them out yet?
I spoke To Leica USA about this yesterday. The guy I spoke to there said he has an inquiry into Germany right now to clarify this. Seems even Leica HQ here in the US still has some differing specs on these

Anyone gotten the 10x42 Geovid pro yet? Mine are either today or tomorrow, depending on the waiting on the shipper to update if they went out today.

Vortex podcast has a pretty good explanation of this concept. Short stubby binos can have huge FOV's but it comes at a cost elsewhere. The big downside I've seen in 32's is shallower DOF vs 42's.

hookah

FNG
Anyone gotten the 10x42 Geovid pro yet? Mine are either today or tomorrow, depending on the waiting on the shipper to update if they went out today.
Hi there, I see you have purchased the 10x42 Geovid pros, can I ask you what you think of them, Pro's and cons ? I am also thinking of getting some but would like to see some real time feed back from hunters in the field.

Hi there, I see you have purchased the 10x42 Geovid pros, can I ask you what you think of them, Pro's and cons ? I am also thinking of getting some but would like to see some real time feed back from hunters in the field.
I really like mine! I have setup several rifles and bullet profiles in the app, and have not had any issues getting them sync’d to the unit and get accurate data from it. The glass is fantastic and I feel it is at the same level as my Swarovski EL glass. I would buy it again for sure.

One thing you should know (if you don’t’ t already)…. The applied ballistics app and calculations are based on the actual FPS your rifle is shooting. There are databases full of bullet data and they get you very close, but I found that my rifle gained speed and it is a good idea to shoot through a chrono from time to time to make sure you are using the correct data. It is very easy to do, and fast to validate on a range and makes sure you are going to have the right data when that shot presents itself. I am mostly a bow hunter, but getting more into the rifles and like having the ability to tinker and work up to exactly what I needed. Hope this helps you.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildmeadows