Game Meat in Cooler Help

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Everyone,

Ive seen this discussed a lot but can't seem to find a straight answer.

After 8 seasons I finally got my first Buck here in SoCal. Got him dressed and in game bags and to Cooler with some ice. Brought that cooler to my work and put it in a Walk-In Cooler at 35F. That was Sunday night. Monday mid day I drained the bloody water and threw another 35lbs of ice on it. I want to make sure I don't ruin the meat, but I wont be able to process it till Friday.

Will it be good in the cooler with ice on it inside the walk-in till friday? Should I remove it from the game bags and put it directly on or in the ice? Any kind of process I should follow to make sure I don't ruin the meat?

I was planning to remove the meat from the game bags today at lunch, pat them dry, and place them on top of the ice, and add more ice to it. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

Ive seen this discussed a lot but can't seem to find a straight answer.

After 8 seasons I finally got my first Buck here in SoCal. Got him dressed and in game bags and to Cooler with some ice. Brought that cooler to my work and put it in a Walk-In Cooler at 35F. That was Sunday night. Monday mid day I drained the bloody water and threw another 35lbs of ice on it. I want to make sure I don't ruin the meat, but I wont be able to process it till Friday.

Will it be good in the cooler with ice on it inside the walk-in till friday? Should I remove it from the game bags and put it directly on or in the ice? Any kind of process I should follow to make sure I don't ruin the meat?

I was planning to remove the meat from the game bags today at lunch, pat them dry, and place them on top of the ice, and add more ice to it. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks!
If they are in a walk in at 35, why not take them out of your cooler and hang them in the walk in cooler? It'll be fine in the walk in set at 35 until Friday.

Yep, keep it out of the water. I wet age mine.

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If they are in a walk in at 35, why not take them out of your cooler and hang them in the walk in cooler? It'll be fine in the walk in set at 35 until Friday?
Thats not a bad idea, the walk in doesnt have anything to hang from, only some racks. Might see if I can find a way to jerry rig a hanging rack or maybe just put the game bags on the rack flat and lay them on top?

OP
A

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, keep it out of the water. I wet age mine.

So keep it in the cooler with ice but not touching the ice to wet age it?

So keep it in the cooler with ice but not touching the ice to wet age it?
This is not technically wet aging. A true wet age would be to vac seal a piece and forget about it in the back of the fridge for a week or two (or more).

You're just trying to let the meat rest/relax until you can take care of it. Cold and dry is your goal at this point. If you can't find a place to hang it or put it on racks, you're better off just leaving it in a dry cooler with the lid open. If you're walk-in is at 35°, having ice in the cooler is pointless.

Meat kept at a cold refrigerator temperature will last about 2 weeks, i.e., 14 days. I keep mine deboned in an ice chest in a ice slush and salt. I change the water and add ice and salt daily until the blood isn't bad, then typically add spices. Depending on my time and mood, I might have it in different ice chests so I can get different deep flavorings from the spices. Generally I start butchering, packaging and freezing the deboned meat about day 7 and complete it in 2 to 3 days. The salt water ice soak helps in tenderness; ice alone just keeps it cold. However, it is possible to put to much salt in the water.

Congrats on filling your tag!

Last edited:

The Guide

WKR
When I have to put meat in a cooler with ice I leave the ice in the bags it came in. This allows for you to lay the meat on the ice without touching the water. The water drains down into the bottom of the cooler so you can drain it. In August my wife and kids killed 4 deer on a damage hunt. It was 95 during the day and didn't get below 70 at night. I skinned and boned the 4 deer and kept the boned out quarters in 2 coolers with a ton of bagged ice. The key was getting the meat off the bone and chilled on ice quickly.

I worked on processing the meat over a week in the evenings and it was some of the best quality meat we've had and the least amount of waste due to dry out in a long time. Ended up with 30# brats, 25# garlic sausage, #60 of steaks, and 6 quarts of seasoned canned venison for quick meals.

I would get your meat out of the game bags and off the bone ASAP.

Jay