Gaia GPS: Adding Google Earth Imagery

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
The Google Earth Mobile App also doesn't have integration with all of the other layers and waypoints that you'd have stored in a GPS app like Gaia. Personally, I love GE on my laptop for digital scouting, but don't like the mobile version. Much prefer an app like Gaia, OnX, Basemap.

wapitibob

WKR
Yeeeuup, ge pro on the laptop at home and in camp then onx/basemap in the field. The only thing google earth needs service for is sat imagery.

littlefish

Lil-Rokslider
When I do this all of the GE layers are blurry to the point of them being unusable. Is this still a viable option people are using?

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
When I do this all of the GE layers are blurry to the point of them being unusable. Is this still a viable option people are using?

Yes. Mine works fine, was using it this morning in fact.

You do need to make sure you have decent signal if you're using it in the field as GE downloads at a low res first, and progressively more detailed as you zoom in.

After loading (which usually takes a couple seconds) quality is no different than GE desktop.

littlefish

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Mine works fine, was using it this morning in fact.

You do need to make sure you have decent signal if you're using it in the field as GE downloads at a low res first, and progressively more detailed as you zoom in.

After loading (which usually takes a couple seconds) quality is no different than GE desktop.
I'm on the desktop and it's blurry.

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
Gaia just added 3D on Android phones. This is a GE screen shot. Works pretty well.
9f9bbb39af8d26b9aaf116b1a3e5264d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
Settings, experimental features, enable 3D. I think this is only for Android. I can't find it on my work phone that is an IPhone.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
I have an Android phone (Samsung S10). When I go to Settings, there is no Experimental Features option. In Settings, I have:

Account
Units
Map Controls
Map Downloads
Power Saving
Storage
Other

Strange.

Johnboy

WKR
For those of you hunting the north slope in Alaska, this map source has changed my life:

All other aerial imagery I've found sucks scrote compared to this.

I stumbled around until I figured out how to import a .kmz file (created in Google Earth Pro) to which I'd added the aerial's from the above source. Now using the 3D feature @maverick referenced, I can virtual-scout my float-hunt river in ways I never thought possible, right from the comfort of my home 3000 miles away. Unreal -- no pun intended.

JesseC

FNG
3d is only available on android as an experimental feature for now. They're working on extending the functionality to iOS.

Thank you for the tip on adding the google data source! Worked like a charm for me! Updated sattelite imagery was one of my chief complaints!