Gaia GPS: Adding Google Earth Imagery

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
i will drop another trick- go into toprut and do a map request of the units you want to map. download the zip file download and unzip. go in gaia and add a layer and browse to the location you saved the unzipped kmz file. add it to your layers. now you have all national forest, blm, state and private lands, unit boundaries all roads and topo layers along with some other stuff.

i will drop another trick- go into toprut and do a map request of the units you want to map. download the zip file download and unzip. go in gaia and add a layer and browse to the location you saved the unzipped kmz file. add it to your layers. now you have all national forest, blm, state and private lands, unit boundaries all roads and topo layers along with some other stuff.
That’s pretty cool it has the functionality, but why would you need it? They have in-house layers with all that stuff.

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
That’s pretty cool it has the functionality, but why would you need it? They have in-house layers with all that stuff.
it does but i like the feature where all i do is click on my layer unit 15 or 7 or five etc and i have everything right there as in fires, maps and boundaries and it centers map to that choice-i dont have to turn on any other layer as it turns them all on, just another little thing i really like about Gaia

CTXhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping this because I just discovered this. WOW imagery is excellent! Highly recommend for all Gaia users.

This stopped working for me today.
Anyone else had this live for a few years - now no longer able to view this layer?
I’ve had it setup for 2-3 years, it is still working.

Make sure you are zoomed in some. Google earth layer doesn’t work if you are zoomed way out.

Intersting.
Yeah - I've been using this a lot since this thread started. Noticed yesterday that my google earth layer had stopped displaying and my attempts to re-add it are not yielding results.
Notice how I have preview toggled.
Even as an added and active layer - same result.

Anyone else have feedback on this working/not working?

Got a ticket in with Gaia.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 7.34.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 7.34.52 AM.png
    108 KB · Views: 19

corncob

WKR
I just got a new phone and am not able to re-download my previous cached files OR re-download using the same maps. I have one Google Earth map that still works, but unfortunately I had it set to 4-22 zoom range and now that Gaia changed it so you can't explicitly set the download level the files for that are too huge to download. My other Google layers don't work (show as all black) and since I can't "edit" the working one I can't see what the config differences are.

corncob

WKR
Alright, I got it sorted. You have to use the Import File function and create a JSON file. There's some web examples using trailbehind.gibhub.io/TilejsonTester that I'll try to find again. I had already closed them and almost given up before I got it working.

bozo

FNG
Quit working for me and my son also. Both iPhones.
Works fine on desk top gaiagps.com, but black on our phones.
Tried deleting and re-installing to no avail...

Has Gaia &/or Google Earth decided to nix this?

Quit working for me and my son also. Both iPhones.
Works fine on desk top gaiagps.com, but black on our phones.
Tried deleting and re-installing to no avail...

Has Gaia &/or Google Earth decided to nix this?
Hey Bozo,

I had to submit a service ticket with Gaia, and it took about a week to get resolved.
No back and forth with them, and no details on what they did to resolve the issue - but the map layer works for me now.

bozo

FNG
Hey Bozo,

I had to submit a service ticket with Gaia, and it took about a week to get resolved.
No back and forth with them, and no details on what they did to resolve the issue - but the map layer works for me now.
Thanks I did last week. Gaia CSR did reply that they have “created a bug report and will update me”.

As an update, I have Google Earth back now.
It was only a bug.
All is well.

peace out,
bozo
did you have to reinstall the app on the phone? i have removed the layer and tried adding it back in. while i can see the places where the google imagery is still in the cache, any new locations i try to zoom in on, will not pull the data. I can see it pulling the images when i use the desktop version, just not the mobile version.

For those with black Google Map layers -- I believe this is a data loading issue. Might be related to individual phone storage capacity?

Mine has shown the black screen upon App start since I downloaded Gaia ~2 years ago. Waiting a minute or closing/reopening the app always fixes the problem for me.

No idea what the issue is beyond my speculation.

bozo

FNG
did you have to reinstall the app on the phone? i have removed the layer and tried adding it back in. while i can see the places where the google imagery is still in the cache, any new locations i try to zoom in on, will not pull the data. I can see it pulling the images when i use the desktop version, just not the mobile version.