Gaia Automatically Creating Public Profile

Once upon a time, Gaia was far and away the best mapping app I had used. OnX was glitchy as hell and they wanted a ridiculous premium for the same data. Once upon a time, Gaia was like $40 a year and you got the same data as the $150/year OnX sub.

Since Outside took over, they've started to go downhill. The app isn't as glitch-free as it used to be. The price has also gone up - I think its around $90 a year now. Now they're making tracks and stuff public by default? While I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the staff at goHunt and OnX use our "private" data for their own purposes, at least it isn't a public thing.

For what its worth, I'll probably opt to not renew my Gaia subscription next year in favor of goHunt.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
How can you say outside and Gaia are going downhill when they’re publishing brave and relevant stories like this😂

I actually had forgotten I tried Gaia last year until the f’ng auto renew when through a couple months ago. Definitely going to make sure it doesn’t renew now that they freely want to share my data.

There are still a lot of things I like about the app over competitors, but they are increasingly becoming less and less attractive. Their customer service also sucks. I submitted an issue like 5 days ago and still haven’t got a response. This may be my last year.

Will probably use this winter to start testing replacements again.

OP
P
Once upon a time, Gaia was far and away the best mapping app I had used. OnX was glitchy as hell and they wanted a ridiculous premium for the same data. Once upon a time, Gaia was like $40 a year and you got the same data as the $150/year OnX sub.

Since Outside took over, they've started to go downhill. The app isn't as glitch-free as it used to be. The price has also gone up - I think its around $90 a year now. Now they're making tracks and stuff public by default? While I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the staff at goHunt and OnX use our "private" data for their own purposes, at least it isn't a public thing.

For what its worth, I'll probably opt to not renew my Gaia subscription next year in favor of goHunt.
Yeah its a shame i feel the same way. It was simple with a good user interface and enough hunting related overlays to be very useful. Now not so much. I canceled out of principle at the last price hike