Anything I can do? Hunter Harassment?

NYSKIER

WKR
Hi Roksliders,

I've lived in my house in some suburban woodlots of anywhere from 4 acres to 10 acres for the past 6 years. During this time I've hunted and successfully taken deer on the combined 7/8ish acres I can hunt. I had been lucky that all the deer I took died on property that I had access to go on. Three years ago I got new access on a neighboring parcel so I asked the guy who had the property next to it if I could retrieve my deer should it die there. He said no to that and no to getting his number and said I would need a warden to get a deer should it die there (I happened to have to do this that year) Immediately after asking this he began to construct a 100 plus yard wall out of fallen debris in the woods to cut off the woodlot funnel. This year he completed it and it has completely stopped what used to be a consistent spot. I have yet to see a deer up there I used to see double digits and there is no sign/rubs in the traditional spots. Please keep in mind this wall is in the woods and does nothing for his property at all. Is this a form of harassment/is there anything I can do.

Fordguy

WKR
It depends on the state. Some states have statutes that prevent the construction of "fences" with the sole intent of change or disrupting wildlife movement. Some states allow the construction of a fence or barricade but have other requirements to allow for wildlife passage.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Sounds pretty normal here in WI. It’s either that or mow the lot line and place a tower stand.
Normal for people to construct crazy stick walls? The guy doesn't even hunt. I don't know what he does for a line of work but he fills his sketchy van full of sticks and drive into the woods to add on

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Wait till the dude leaves his house and take down a small portion of the fence towards the rear. Just a little here and there. after a year or two you'll see more deer
I hope so, don't think he's going anywhere he's got a few youngish kids unfortunately. Told me they were interested in archery told him I'd help them out and have a whole shop in my house....said I'm good thanks

slowr1der

FNG
This doesn't sound like hunter harassment at all. He should be free to do as he wishes on his property. As long as his fence isn't on someone else's land. Just as you are free to hunt on yours.
Wait till the dude leaves his house and take down a small portion of the fence towards the rear. Just a little here and there. after a year or two you'll see more deer
Destroying a fence on someone else's property sounds like a good way to get arrested.

While it hasn't had anything to do with hunting, I've had to deal with neighbors that think they can use my property as their own. So I understand the guy wanting to make sure that doesn't happen.

Fordguy

WKR
This doesn't sound like hunter harassment at all. He should be free to do as he wishes on his property. As long as his fence isn't on someone else's land. Just as you are free to hunt on yours.
Not so. Several states have laws regarding the fencing of property to change wildlife travel.
For example, in Michigan unless you high fence your property in its entirety and remove all deer, you need a section every 400 yards that is no more than 4' (might be 4'6") tall to allow for deer travel. The crossing areas must be visually unobstructed. You're also not allowed to fence below the highbwater line of any stream or drainage.
Other states have more or less restrictive laws regarding fence construction for the purpose of restricting wildlife movement. The land is yours, the wildlife upon it is not.

EdP

WKR
A bit mean of him, but totally his choice what he does with his property. It should be good for the rabbits. Maybe you could tell him thanks for helping out the rabbit population, they are quite tasty.

jimh406

WKR
I don't think that's harassment. Maybe consider moving to somewhere that's more tolerant of hunting, or hunt on other property.

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys, I didn’t really think it was harassment it’s his property and he’s able to do whatever he wants I just wasn’t sure how to title it. As far as the land open on three sides it’s just a good funnel that was used by the deer often, it a suburban wood lot with houses on either sides so safe to say the deer would prefer to stay safe in the woods and not waltz through yards