Freshman Class of 2023- who is in it?

funkafied

FNG
My first year as well. Headed into the Beartooths in MT. No expectations other than an adventure and a challenge! Feeling pretty dialed on gear and doing lots of training and map work now. Looking forward to some scouting trips once the snow stops pummeling us.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well things are slowly falling into place. Figured I better cover all my bases :D

pef2sWU.jpg

Well things are slowly falling into place. Figured I better cover all my bases :D

pef2sWU.jpg

Looks like you're getting there. Some of my hunters are starting to think about buying tags too, but I believe that they're going to wait till the 2023 harvest tickets become available before doing so.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Living vicariously through this thread this year. @mtwarden how is the lead up coming along?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty good :) I think my training is going well- hiking everyday, every other day with weight and strength training twice a week. Been hitting some off-trail stuff with rock and spending some time sidehilling as well. I know the Brooks is going to be an ass kicker, just hoping a little less so w/ some training beforehand :)

I've got to spend more time at the range in the remaining couple of weeks- having family visiting now and then a buddy secured a coveted float spot on the Smith River this coming weekend, so a little more cramped that what I was hoping. But will have to do.

Gear wise I think I'm pretty good, just have to make sure I don't leave something behind :ROFLMAO:

Yes and no...yes as it a bucket list is getting closer, no as in a lot going on that is keeping my mind occupied.

Your mind will clear at some point during the hunt. They always do, unless someone is just like, way unrealistic. You'll be fine. I'm sure your outfitter has done his best to purge your mind of unnecessary clutter. Enjoy the rain!

Last edited:

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Just fully confirmed yesterday I’m in for Sept 2023 NWT
The above post was from Nov 2022 and I’m just looking for any recommendations or comments on my present situation. I started training and I was walking about 8 miles 2 or 3 times a week back in March and I figured I was on my way to my first sheep hunt. At the end of April I was hit with what I thought was a mild case of Sciatica which I had before and figured it would go away in a week and I could resume training. By the end of May it had gotten worse and couldn’t walk more than 100 yards before extreme pain in my right leg knocked me on my a$$. I sought medical care but we all know how long that can take. Started with PT and after a month I got very frustrated and told the Doc I wanted an MRI for a full diagnosis and would go as far as out patient surgery if necessary. I paid for an MRI and reading and finally got the results the end of June. Meanwhile I am freaking out because the clock is ticking and I can’t train and begin to wonder if I should cancel my trip. But at my age, 63, I knew if I canceled it would never happen since outfitters are booking 5 years out. I made a decision that I was going as long as I could walk off the plane and even if I couldn’t hunt, but that is just a plan and still may not happen. Everything was scheduled and paid for so maybe it would just turn into a site seeing trip. Anyway, the MRI results come back and I find out I have a fairly large cyst and severe Stenosis in myL5/S1 Facet which is why my right leg is almost useless. Next problem, find a Pain Managment Doc or Surgeon willing to see me on short notice to see if he can get me fixed before the trip. After 3 or 4 calls which would either not see me at all, or not until September I found one that saw me last week. Finally some hope, but am I fooling myself thinking I can make this trip with next to no physical conditioning. I’m 205lbs and 5’10; and had hoped to be down to at least 190 before the trip and have some stamina built up. Anyway, August 9th I am scheduled for outpatient surgery for the cyst and an epidural. The Doc promised me ”I will get you on your trip”. He claims I will walk out of his office with no pain and will be able to begin training immediately. But that puts me at 1 month before “Take Off”. I’m trying to stay positive and get my gear in order, thank god I got my rifle sighted in and ready last winter so I didn’t have to sight it in the summer heat. This is my first sheep hunt and it was planned over 4 years ago as a retirement gift to myself, but Covid postponed it for 2 years. My biological clock is ticking and my hunting days are numbered, at least for a trip of this type. Any thoughts on my decision here or words of advise for do’s and don’t at this point. Can I expect to make any progress for training with only a month of prep time after the surgery. Anyway, thats why I have been mostly silent on the sheep threads for the last several months, not knowing if it would really happen after 4 years of planning and dreaming.

Last edited:
When I have clients that come under unforeseen problems and problematic circumstances, such as what you're facing, I just roll their hunt reservation to a following year, or two or three. Have you spoken to your outfitter about your situation?

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
When I have clients that come under unforeseen problems and problematic circumstances, such as what you're facing, I just roll their hunt reservation to a following year, or two or three. Have you spoken to your outfitter about your situation?
I have not spoken to him since he is already in the bush and I probably wouldn’t be able to reach him. Plus I have other trips booked for next year at the same time. And lastly, he agreed to hold my price close to my original booking price even though most outfitters have risen their Covid postponements to the new current booking price. Cancellations would be rebooked at the new 2025 prices which would put it out of my price range so I thought best to not bring it up

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
By the way, I am trying to do some minor training so I don’t completely atrophy away. I am doing leg presses and leg curls because it seems I can do almost any exercise as long as I am not standing and putting weight or compression on my spine/right leg. My PT therapist gave me the go ahead on both of these as long as I’l using modest weight to build stamina