Freestanding Arch Pole tent vs Trekking Pole tent

gostovp

WKR
Ok, this expands off my other thread about the BA Spur / Tiger Wall vs the Nemo's....

Give me some feedback on the arch pole freestanding/semi freestanding tents vs the trekking pole type shelters (like the Durston X-Mid and the TarpTent StratoSpire).

It looks like there could be some weight savings with the Trekking Pole style tents, but wondering about how they pitch, how they handle rain/wind/snow, how they handle condensation vs something like the Copper Spur.

What size tent are you looking for?

If looking at a one person, you might consider the tarptent moment dw. The double wall would help manage condensation.
I personally don't have the moment but have a tarptent bowfin 1(discontinued) that I recently acquired and have a couple of nights in. Very pleased with tarptent quality and design.

I also have an xmid2, great tent and design. Condensation control is good. If you take down camp and move a lot, I could see benefits in weight savings. However, if you set up camp and hike out from it like I do a lot, I found myself wanting my trekking poles with me.
Could I not use my trekking poles and get the ones to replace the trekking poles to use instead, of course but then you're not really saving the weight. Still a good option though.
The tent is great though and would recommend, just have to really evaluate what you're needs are and how you're going to use it.

Edit to add: personally I would go with a xmid or find a tarptent model that suits you. Dan Durston and Henry Shires have both put a lot of thought and effort into their designs. I would hands down give them my money again and again over one of the big name brands.

Last edited:
If you take down camp and move a lot, I could see benefits in weight savings. However, if you set up camp and hike out from it like I do a lot, I found myself wanting my trekking poles with me.

I've often wondered - if you wanted to leave you tent in that spot and return at the end of the day, but take your poles with you while hunting, could you leave your tent staked down and just take your poles out, essentially leaving your tent in a collapsed "pile" on the ground? Then when you get back to camp, just slide your poles back in and you're ready to rock.

I've often wondered - if you wanted to leave you tent in that spot and return at the end of the day, but take your poles with you while hunting, could you leave your tent staked down and just take your poles out, essentially leaving your tent in a collapsed "pile" on the ground? Then when you get back to camp, just slide your poles back in and you're ready to rock.
I would assume that could be done, never tried it myself or even thought about it.
I'm sure it would be fine but with the tent not taut I'd be more afraid of something happening to it in a weather episode or heavy winds. But something can happen to a standing tent too.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
some good questions. This tent would mostly be for spike camp setups a few miles in. I suppose it's possible we could hunt with camp our backs, but most likely day hunts from the spike.

I do like having a bit of room in the tent, thus the reason I'm looking at 2p tents vs 1p. I get the smaller footprint of the 1p tents, but having room to spread out and stash gear inside the tent is nice.

If you like more room, check out the the tarptent rainbow or double rainbow dw.
The rainbow might suit you and it's going to save you some weight as well over a full-blown 2p tent.
I know those are models you haven’t mentioned though but worth a look IMO.

From my experiences I wish I would have just went with the double rainbow dw from the start. It and the xmid2 weigh basically the same but xmid2 was about $100 cheaper so I went that route at the time.
For me I think that double rainbow dw checks more of my boxes.
The bowfin checks those boxes as well but now I have two tents and in it for more than I originally intended lol.

And to answer your question about rain/wind/snow with the xmid or trekking pole of the like.
I have zero experiences with snow and none in thunderstorm downpours.
Rain- light rain and misty stuff, tent did fine and being able to leave the the inner attached is nice for setup.
Wind- most I've experienced is some gust of 15-20mph and sustained about 10mph. No issues.
Condensation- not really an issue. Every tent is going to have condensation and the xmid does a good job mitigating it by being able to vent and keeps it off you by being dw.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
thanks for recommending the Double Rainbow, it looks to be a really nice tent as well. Why would you say you wished you had gone that route to begin with? What boxes did it check better for you?

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I've done that with a mountainsmith mountain shelter LT. Pull the poles and tighten the guylines all the way and it kept the whole thing tight to the ground. It worked fine for the day, I don't remember if I put my sleeping bag in a dry bag underneath or just left it loose, but obviously if the weather was questionable or there was a ton of condensation on the tent I'd put the bag away for protection. I don't know if I'd plan on doing this for an extended hunt. I've got a tarptent notch as well, and have one of the dedicated poles so I can take a trekking pole with me. I might go with two of the dedicated poles this year so I can have both trekking poles. It should still come in around 35oz for the whole package.

thanks for recommending the Double Rainbow, it looks to be a really nice tent as well. Why would you say you wished you had gone that route to begin with? What boxes did it check better for you?
You're welcome.
This is one of those buy once cry once situations for me that I cheaped out. This is not to say that the xmid is cheap or not a great tent. I just kind of wish I would have spent the extra $100 and got the double rainbow dw to begin with.

As far as boxes checked better, I'd say the semi-freestanding on the rainbow is for sure the main box. The other differences between the two are pretty negligible.

I am glad I purchased the xmid though and I might purchase the poles to go with it and take the weight penalty.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
You're welcome.
This is one of those buy once cry once situations for me that I cheaped out. This is not to say that the xmid is cheap or not a great tent. I just kind of wish I would have spent the extra $100 and got the double rainbow dw to begin with.

As far as boxes checked better, I'd say the semi-freestanding on the rainbow is for sure the main box. The other differences between the two are pretty negligible.

I am glad I purchased the xmid though and I might purchase the poles to go with it and take the weight penalty.

I can see benefit of having the semi freestanding tent for sure, and now I’m seriously considering that Double Rainbow DW…

I can see benefit of having the semi freestanding tent for sure, and now I’m seriously considering that Double Rainbow DW…
I will say to one thing that pulled me into the xmid besides the price, was it's silpoly and at the time the double rainbow dw was silnylon. Now it's updated to the silpoly fly.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
I will say to one thing that pulled me into the xmid besides the price, was it's silpoly and at the time the double rainbow dw was silnylon. Now it's updated to the silpoly fly.
Yeah i saw that as well, and it’s another reason I’m seriously looking at the DR DW now. I’ve read the X-miDs are great tents but one ‘con’ that comes up is that if the site isn’t perfect it can be a little more difficult to get a perfect pitch.

I've wondered if condensation would be a problem from the collapsed tent covering the ground instead of being up and off the ground all day long.

Yeah i saw that as well, and it’s another reason I’m seriously looking at the DR DW now. I’ve read the X-miDs are great tents but one ‘con’ that comes up is that if the site isn’t perfect it can be a little more difficult to get a perfect pitch.
Never had much of an issue other than some rookie mistakes when I first got it.
Set the trekking poles to the same height and inserted them, didn't have a good pitch. Best to adjust the pole after inserted to get a taut pitch, especially if on uneven ground.
Sometimes it's hard to visualize where your head is going to be after setup because of the inner being at an angle.

10ringer

WKR
I've wondered if condensation would be a problem from the collapsed tent covering the ground instead of being up and off the ground all day long.

I did this one time and came back to a damp sleeping bag. It was either ground condensation or the light pop-up shower that day. Have kept my tent pitched at all times with dedicated poles since. Go with hyperlite or seek outside carbon poles and keep your trekking poles handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk