Fraying buss cables

tdoublev

FNG
I’ve noticed that my buss cables are fraying pretty significantly on my Hoyt Torrex. Any ideas what would be causing this? I haven’t twisted the cables myself, but I think Lancaster did when I purchased the bow and we paper tuned before leaving. Only thing I’ve gathered from online is that the cables could be routed incorrectly but it seems to line up with Hoyt’s pictures on their website. I definitely need to replace them at this point but would like to understand the root cause.

I’ve also heard some guys suggest replacing this cable guard with a roller for this reason. Anyone done that and recommend it as well?

Attachments

• IMG_2577.jpeg
    IMG_2577.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2576.jpeg
    IMG_2576.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2575.jpeg
    IMG_2575.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
It looks like it's fraying where your cable goes through the cable slide. I'd replace the cable slide as they aren't all created equal and yours could possibly have a bur or damage from gunk and debree.

nphunter

WKR
No reason to replace them, find someone to clean them up and serve them. Those cables are still fine, all of them do that on old cable slides. It take about 15min with a serving jig to fix that issue.

Every bow I’ve ever had with cable slides I’ve served due to the same thing. A lot of bows came with serving there too and they are all served over the roller guards.

4D691FD5-600C-4C09-A582-8CCAD4AB0BEF.jpeg

OP
tdoublev

tdoublev

FNG
How old are the cables?

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
This is only a year old. Can’t say I’m flinging thousands of arrows to make this seem reasonable

OP
tdoublev

tdoublev

FNG
No reason to replace them, find someone to clean them up and serve them. Those cables are still fine, all of them do that on old cable slides. It take about 15min with a serving jig to fix that issue.

Every bow I’ve ever had with cable slides I’ve served due to the same thing. A lot of bows came with serving there too and they are all served over the roller guards.

View attachment 658575
Very glad to hear this. My bow is tuned just where I want it and I was not looking forward to redoing that. Do you ever replace your slides or have more rub issues after you serve it?

nphunter

WKR
Very glad to hear this. My bow is tuned just where I want it and I was not looking forward to redoing that. Do you ever replace your slides or have more rub issues after you serve it?

I haven't but some are showing wear, a new slide is like $10 so you could always do both. I wouldn't replace it unless there is something on it causing the wear. Most likely it's just friction from the cables, a good way to address this on a new bow is to use some old thick bohning string wax on the cables right there and wax every time after shooting.

Jethro

WKR
Maybe a new slide. Maybe some wax. Just judging by the pics, I'm not sure the condition of the cables is even an issue.

OP
tdoublev

tdoublev

FNG
I have four bows that all have cables using a cable slide like that. None of them are served, nor should be IMO. Wax them up, keep them waxed, and change out your slide if there continues to be a problem. They just look like they've never been waxed to me.
I did wax them when I first noticed it, but it oddly seemed to just scrape off and cause more white discoloration. Could be bad quality wax, I forget the brand

Marble

WKR
This is only a year old. Can’t say I’m flinging thousands of arrows to make this seem reasonable
It's normal. Especially in hot, dry weather, or if the string isn't waxed. I only do the non-served portion. Mine has looked a lot worse after a day in the woods.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I did wax them when I first noticed it, but it oddly seemed to just scrape off and cause more white discoloration. Could be bad quality wax, I forget the brand
Some tunes the wax needs to be worked in. Pinch the cable and work it back and forth. Should heat up a bit and be just fine.

OP
tdoublev

tdoublev

FNG
I went back over it with wax and didn’t baby it this time. It looks better than before, but I think the cables actually have cut strands at this point. A result of my less than diligent maintenance of the cables. It’s hard to see in pictures, but so far it seems the consensus is that this is salvageable. I’m leaning towards replacement in light of actual damage. Am I being overly cautious?

Attachments

• IMG_2600.jpeg
    IMG_2600.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2601.jpeg
    IMG_2601.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 13

packer58

WKR
Looks a little shakey to me from what i can see, I would probably at least replace the cables and have them served where they run through the slide. I'm a little surprised they didn't come that way from Hoyt.

Marble

WKR
I went back over it with wax and didn’t baby it this time. It looks better than before, but I think the cables actually have cut strands at this point. A result of my less than diligent maintenance of the cables. It’s hard to see in pictures, but so far it seems the consensus is that this is salvageable. I’m leaning towards replacement in light of actual damage. Am I being overly cautious?
If you do not have a backup string, it isn't a bad idea to replace and keep your back up string in case shit goes south. Imagine being on an out of state hunt and something happens to your string. You would be screwed. I always keep my old string for a back up. It stays on the truck. We have a press and parts kits for our boys. So unless there was a bent cam or something, then we could pretty much fix anything.

OP
tdoublev

tdoublev

FNG
If you do not have a backup string, it isn't a bad idea to replace and keep your back up string in case shit goes south. Imagine being on an out of state hunt and something happens to your string. You would be screwed. I always keep my old string for a back up. It stays on the truck. We have a press and parts kits for our boys. So unless there was a bent cam or something, then we could pretty much fix anything.

That’s a solid call. I took it into LAS today and they confirmed it was time to replace, so went ahead and ordered new string and cables. I also take my press on out of state hunts (synunm - can’t recommend enough for the price) and will add these strings to the repair kit

Marble

WKR
That’s a solid call. I took it into LAS today and they confirmed it was time to replace, so went ahead and ordered new string and cables. I also take my press on out of state hunts (synunm - can’t recommend enough for the price) and will add these strings to the repair kit
If they replace the strings, have then secure the string so you don't add or subtract length. I also keep my peep set in my spare string. Just one last thing to tie in. So basically, you'll just need to replace parts and minimize any further tuning.

OP
tdoublev

tdoublev

FNG
Great idea, but curious how you go about securing the string? Do you pin the ends to piece of cardboard or something?

nphunter

WKR
Great idea, but curious how you go about securing the string? Do you pin the ends to piece of cardboard or something?
Just put a paperclip between the two ends to keep it from untwisting and put it in a ziplock bag.

Marble

WKR
Just put a paperclip between the two ends to keep it from untwisting and put it in a ziplock bag.
Exactly. I have measurements and tools to measure. But I also paper clip them together, place them in a ziplok and label it.

Just make sure you get the paperclip on immediately. Otherwise, you'll have to start from scratch.

I haven't had to come out of the back country to do this. But I imagine I would dedicate a full day to this so I could shoot my bow a lot and have time to get the sight zeroed again and male sure everything is perfect.