Bow Tuning Questions

FreeRange

WKR
I recently decided to take bow tuning into my own hands after the two closest shops to me closed down and I wanted to be able to instill confidence that my setup was actually set up correctly. A big learning curve but so far I've really enjoyed it.

I've got a 2012 Hoyt Carbon Element 60-70# with RKT #2 cams, E module (longest DL for this cam)

So I started with 3 year old strings, peak draw was 58.5 lbs, ATA was 31 1/6" (spec says 32) and top cam was slow by 1/4" gap on the drawboard.

I replaced strings and cables with off the shelf strings from 60X, confident I got the right strings the specs on their site matched the specs on the bow's sticker plate as far as lengths go.

Without adjusting limb bolts peak weight went up to 63.0, ATA got 1/8" shorter and top cam now leading by 3/16" gap with the new strings/cables.

I decided what I wanted to do was crank in the limb bolts to check max weight against spec as I'd seen online this is a good thing to check. With limb bolts tight peak weight was 73.5#, ATA went back to 31 1/16".

I let out two twists of the buss cable, added 1/2 twist to the string and brought peak weight down to 73.0#. I feel like to get peak weight down to 70# it's going to take a lot more twisting/untwisting that I don't necessarily want to do.

I intend to shoot the bow around 65#. My questions are
1) Do I actually need to worry that peak weight is over spec by 4%?
2) Do I actually need to worry that ATA is short by 15/16"?
3) If I want to get the peak weight down is it safe to say I can do that all via twisting up the string? The buss cable is already starting to look not very twisted and I can imagine it will be straight with zero twists if I use that adjustment to bring down draw weight while at full tight on the limb bolts.

I know a lot of this can be answered by how it shoots, I'm currently waiting a few weeks for a new rest back from rip cord as the first thing I noticed on the draw board was that my rest was dropping incredibly slow and they're warrantying it. In the meantime I'd like to do what I can to get the bow set up correctly. I'm 50/50 on just shooting it with a whisker biscuit for the foreseeable future as I'm not sure what was going with the rest when I shot my last deer 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for any input you can offer, I know everyone has different opinions on these types of things but I'm open to hear all opinions and the reasoning behind them. Thanks.

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
So as far as the poundage goes that’s fine. It’s typical for Hoyts to peak 3-5 over their stated weights.
Second the A2A for that Bow with a #2 cam is 31.25”. Hoyt has a tolerance of +\- .25” so where you’re at is fine.

jmez

WKR
I'd recommend you leave the string alone for anything other than small draw length adjustments or peep adjustment. You should be able to do everything needed with the buss and control cables.

OR Archer

WKR
I'd recommend you leave the string alone for anything other than small draw length adjustments or peep adjustment. You should be able to do everything needed with the buss and control cables.

Agreed. I rarely do anything to the main string except straightening a peep out.

OP
FreeRange

FreeRange

WKR
Awesome thanks guys. Not sure where I got 32” but now i’m feeling a lot better about things.