Fox Red Lab Puppy

Tahoe1305

WKR
Anyone sell or have a Breeder you’ve had a good experience with that sells fox red labs?

Not concerned with hunting pedigree. Just looking for a family dog.

Looking for a female. Preferably in vicinity of Colorado (N. CA or TN could work too for future travel plans).

Thanks!

gabenzeke

WKR
Anyone sell or have a Breeder you’ve had a good experience with that sells fox red labs?

Not concerned with hunting pedigree. Just looking for a family dog.

Looking for a female. Preferably in vicinity of Colorado (N. CA or TN could work too for future travel plans).

Thanks!
I can tell you NOT to go with wildrose in MS. We loved our dog, but he had behavior issues from the get go. And in speaking with other people it would seem the dam had thrown several previous litters with the same issues.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest putting color farther down the list of priorities if you can. Some breeders will disregard negative attributes of a dog just to achieve a particular color. Find a solid breeder with a good reputation for quality dogs and go from there.

We are looking at getting another pup from where we got our current dog 7 years ago. I believe they will still fly out the pup to you.

https://www.torgslabs.com/

Might have to contact them about getting on a list for a female however. Great dogs and great people. They are harder to get a hold of for some reason vs our last experience.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
We are looking at getting another pup from where we got our current dog 7 years ago. I believe they will still fly out the pup to you.

https://www.torgslabs.com/

Might have to contact them about getting on a list for a female however. Great dogs and great people. They are harder to get a hold of for some reason vs our last experience.
I've hunted with a couple dogs from their lines. Damn fine animals. The one that stands out in my mind was a Rooster pup. That dog was an absolute machine.

IMO color is the least important trait for a lab, to the point of being completely irrelevant. I'd much rather have one with good elbows, a strong heart, straight hips, no allergies, very biddable, etc. The places I know to find those traits are in the field trial and hunt test blood lines. Not sure if the show-breeders are really going for those traits or not.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
IMO color is the least important trait for a lab, to the point of being completely irrelevant. I'd much rather have one with good elbows, a strong heart, straight hips, no allergies, very biddable, etc. The places I know to find those traits are in the field trial and hunt test blood lines. Not sure if the show-breeders are really going for those traits or not.
Hear everyone on color. It’s silly but here’s why.

I just lost a black lab that I had for 13 years. Amazing dog. Wife won’t let us get another black lab because she doesn’t want to be reminded of her. We had a few yellows growing up that were a mess. Never had a red or chocolate so only reason we are looking there.

100% agree other priorities are more important.

the thing is, by fixating on "fox red," or worse yet "silver" labs, you're going to eliminate a bunch of breeders that are selecting for the most important traits in order to hit a specific aesthetic. It's almost like buying a goldendoodle, except it still sheds.

Are any of the top competitive dogs right now fox red labs? I fell out of the dog competition world when the pandemic started, so I genuinely don't know.

I've hunted with a couple dogs from their lines. Damn fine animals. The one that stands out in my mind was a Rooster pup. That dog was an absolute machine.
I agree. They all seem to have that switch that can go from great house dog to hunting machines instantly.

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
Yellow, chocolate, black. That's the standard for Labs. I've never actually held a genetic test in my hand, but I've read that Silver Labs have Weimaraner in them for the color. That also means you're getting Weimaraner traits. I'm assuming the same logic applies to any other color "Labrador" outside of the standard. Not saying those can't be fantastic dogs, but if you want a Labrador for its Labrador traits, go to a breeder that adheres to the standard.

Superdoo

WKR
Have you thought about just getting a different breed?
Dogs aren't cars. Picking for looks is childish. Your wife is entitled to her feelings, but she deserves to hear the truth. She's placing worthless criteria in front of a decision to add a valued member to the family. That criteria will only serve to degrade the decision and increase the odds of failure.
If she's not ready to get another dog, then she's not ready to get another dog. Simple.

If you want a family dog, go pick up something from the shelter. It's cheaper and the outcome is the same.

Yooper

WKR
She's not located in your preferred area, but our current lab came from Rainmaker Labs in N. Wisconsin. She's a yellow, and like you, we got to replace our black lab from Candlewood when she passed away. My wife didn't want black either as a reminder. Anyway, I digress, they're working dogs, no show dogs there. Our yellow has been nothing short of fantastic. Great in the house, not too high strung at all, really naturally birdy with grouse, and was really easy to train. Kim was great to work with and she's as honest as you can get. She may be worth calling if you're looking to expand your search area. She does have some fox red bloodlines that come up.

http://www.rainmakerlabs.com/

KurtR

WKR
Hear everyone on color. It’s silly but here’s why.

I just lost a black lab that I had for 13 years. Amazing dog. Wife won’t let us get another black lab because she doesn’t want to be reminded of her. We had a few yellows growing up that were a mess. Never had a red or chocolate so only reason we are looking there.

100% agree other priorities are more important.
I have stood at the line with Steve Torgerson and his dogs are nice dogs. Having the off switch comes more from the trainer teaching proper obedience. He was running two of his darker yellow ( i refuse to play the color game there are only 3 colors) labs who were both MH and i think got their hrch. Not that the titles matter but the health testing that goes with the proper breeding does. I would guess they would make a very nice pet but dont think the dog deserves that since they are bred and want to do a job. I think there are better breeds that make just pets and are happy doing it.

Google Hoobly. See if it is in your area. I used it here in Michigan for my lab 4 yrs ago. You can search different areas of your state for the type of dog you are looking for

dogguy

FNG
Breeders aren't like car manufacturers. The breeder matters much less than the breeding - who the sire and dam are and their attributes. Temperament, elbows and hips, eyes, EIC clear, biddability are generally inherited. Focus more on that than who has bred and whelped the litter. And 2nd the opinion that focusing on a color and shade is shortsighted. Many people commit to a litter before the colors of the future pups are known.

ethan

WKR
I’m in Tennessee and have a fox red from a local guy. He doesn’t breed specifically fox red colored labs, and wouldnt call him a big time breeder or anything, he just has some pups for sale every now and then. I can keep an eye out for you if you’d like.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’m in Tennessee and have a fox red from a local guy. He doesn’t breed specifically fox red colored labs, and wouldnt call him a big time breeder or anything, he just has some pups for sale every now and then. I can keep an eye out for you if you’d like.
Appreciated. We are on the list from Turkey Creek up on SD for a spring pup, based on a PM from someone off the forum. If that falls though I’d love another name. I whitetail hunt on a buddies ranch in TN this time of year so out there often enough.

Agree with the sentiments above. Yes a red lab is a yellow lab. I will pay attention to the breeding and do the best I know how to make sure the pup is healthy EI the those breeding genes and genetic disorders. The breeder guarantees those elements the best I can tell.

I like labs and have had one my entire life. Not interested in another breed right now because I’ve had those too and in general my sentiment was….they weren’t labs (the goldens were ok)! My dad hunted birds and used his for that. I don’t.

My lab I took out pheasant hunting a time or two in Hawaii and instinctively she knew what to do. I’ll do the same probably with this lab, but it won’t be her purpose simply because that isn’t my passion.

We have a few thousand acres behind the house, the dog will get her energy out.

She will get plenty of energy out with the kids. We played ball, fresbie or swam with the old pup a few hours a day. Assume we will do the same with the new.

Thanks again for help and advice.

Last edited:

TxxAgg

WKR
Have you thought about just getting a different breed?
Dogs aren't cars. Picking for looks is childish. Your wife is entitled to her feelings, but she deserves to hear the truth. She's placing worthless criteria in front of a decision to add a valued member to the family. That criteria will only serve to degrade the decision and increase the odds of failure.
If she's not ready to get another dog, then she's not ready to get another dog. Simple.

If you want a family dog, go pick up something from the shelter. It's cheaper and the outcome is the same.
Well said