Forget your rangefinder?

Decker9

WKR
I forgot my range finder once, it was the one and only time i could have used it. Turned an opening morning ram into a day 7 ram, which looking back im glad I forgot it, but at the time I was sure pissed lol.

TaperPin

WKR
400 yards is easy.
Zero at 300, aim on back - bang bang

Lol

As to how to judge range without a rangefinder, ask an old guy. We were the rangefinder. . . . or ask a golfer - golfers get good at judging range.

Freelance

FNG
Also ….back when nobody had rangefinders except the military… we used the reticle in our SFP scopes..... Doesn’t work with FFP scopes because the reticle stays the same size regardless of zoom setting.
We know you meant the other way around...
I've started practicing this with my FFP scopes and binos with a MIL reticle. My problems are lack of recall and terrible arithmetic skills, and the answer for both is to carry cheat sheets. Common object sizes and ranging formulas on one side, and a grid on the other. The grid's Y axis is in half MIL increments, the X axis is target size in feet and yards. Thinking of making these in plastic with space to do more precise calculations with a grease pencil or dry erase marker.

The thumb estimation is pretty cool though! Thanks for posting.