Ford Raptor Daily Drivers

SDHNTR

WKR
Own a 2011,bought new, just bought the third set of tires, ko2s, got 70k or so miles per set. Second battery. Is on its third set of front brakes and rotors,second on the rear. Had a transfer case actuator motor, air conditioning line and drivers rear door window regulator and motor, window switch on drivers door are only repairs at 144k miles. Had 100k maintenance done at 110k, transmission fluid change, power steering and brake flush, rear end and plugs as well as shock rebuild.I do the oil changes, syn since birth. No warranty claims, had an ecm reflash as a recall. Is my long distance highway cruiser, easy 1000-1200 mile interstate days at 13mpg. Been on ranch and blm roads but never abused. Keep thinking about selling for a new one but this keeps motoring along. Service manager at my small town dealer told me its his favorite truck of all time, said keep it, fix it as needed and keep driving. Tollroad around Austin has a speed limit of 85, I10 west of Junction 80, this truck likes to cruise at 85-90, german cars have nothing on it. Bought a F250 with the 7.3 gas, ten spd and 4.30 gears with 35” tires, acceleration, fuel economy is about the same but look out for high speed handling differences. Bought new in 2020, no repairs or warranty claims. Bought to tow in the event of a hurricane.
Never mind the truck! Bad ass Freeman!

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I daily drive a gen 3 "regular" Raptor.

No issues.

The technology and practicality of they way Ford has this truck set up exceeds expectations.

Check out Trail Turn Assist and Trail Control on youtube if you are deep into the raptor research. Amazing stuff.

For "regular" driving, the twin turbos on the ecoboost engine provide power at all speeds. The suspension allows you to drive fast on bad roads. Power doesn't provide any benefit at slow speeds off road. Speed is attained with great suspension. That said, I can drive this truck with one finger on the asphalt at 105-112mph due to power and suspension.

The raptor is basically a desert racing machine. The Baja 1000 Raptors don't have as many modifications as you would expect, but they do use the 37 which has its own frame, bigger tires and a supercharger.

If you buy a new one you get invited to Ford Performace Racing School in Utah and that is a great day. Inclines forward and back, rock crawling, desert racing, etc. I won't ruin the surprise at the end. Go if you can.

I'll order a Gen 4 the day they get released but until then Gen 3 is the best pick up truck on the market. I might get a 37 instead of a "regular" truck next time. I see no purpose for the R at least for me. My wife and I got to drive 37's at Ford Racing School. I ordered a "regular" because I'm short (5'6") but we had no issues getting in and out of the 37 at school so I'll probably go that route next time.

I'm at the range right now eating lunch. See photos.

Target is 825 yards, 6.5 Creedmoor 147gr ELD factory load. The truck is nearly perfect, but my shooting has a long way to go.

Attachments

• IMG_6406.jpg
    IMG_6406.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6407.jpg
    IMG_6407.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 59

Norcal18

FNG
Can’t speak for the Raptor as I haven’t driven one, thought about getting one and then Tremor caught my eye. Looked in to them more and bought a fully loaded ‘22 with 34k in May. The truck rides great (even the wife likes it). It’s a little more suited for hunting and trails vs the Raptor ( more towing capacity and narrower). Definitely look did one with the Torsen front differential if you do. Just something else to consider.
bbd1abc5107f6744901bb3c3aec162f5.jpg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a 2018 Raptor last year and it's my favorite truck that I've ever driven. I don't think I'll ever not have a Raptor now.

I drive it to work everyday and for shooting matches all over the country and of course on hunting trips. Decked drawers and the RSI Smartcap make it the perfect setup for all my needs.

It's just ridiculously comfortable and fun to drive.

Just recently had the scratches fixed and a ceramic coating applied. My guy did an amazing job.

20240415_164759.jpg

IMG_6908.jpg

1000003114.jpg

Last edited:

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
The Raptor is not an F150 package. It's a Ford Performance racing machine built on its own frame on its own line.

The Tremor may be a satisfactory f150 package but its not more suited to trail riding than a Raptor.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I bought a 2018 Raptor last year and it's my favorite truck that I've ever driven. I don't think I'll ever not have a Raptor now.

I drive it to work everyday and for shooting matches all over the country and of course on hunting trips. Decked drawers and the RSI Smartcap make it the perfect setup for all my needs.

It's just ridiculously comfortable and fun to drive.

Just recently had the scratches fixed and a ceramic coating applied. My guy did an amazing job.

View attachment 740170

View attachment 740171

View attachment 740172
That thing is way too pretty to take off road! That guy worked magic on those scratches.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Here’s my bride in a stock gen 3 37 with a roll bar, brush guard and some off-road lights added.

You need the lights to see your competitors thru the dust to avoid collisions.

IMG_5821.jpeg

Braaap

WKR
The Raptor is not an F150 package. It's a Ford Performance racing machine built on its own frame on its own line.

The Tremor may be a satisfactory f150 package but its not more suited to trail riding than a Raptor.
I agree. I’ve had 3rd and 5th gen 4runners, a ‘99 taco, 1st gen tundra, and ‘21 F150 and used them all hunting and the raptor is so much better than the others it’s nuts. Gotta drive one off road, especially at high speed to get it.

IDShane

WKR
I picked up my second raptor in June its a Code Orange gen 3. I had a 2013 6.2 Raptor for a brief period and really liked it bought a new superduty and just got sick of getting around in it and went back to the raptor I love it so far...

Attachments

• Raptor #!.jpg
    Raptor #!.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Raptor pic.jpg
    Raptor pic.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 31

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I picked up my second raptor in June its a Code Orange gen 3. I had a 2013 6.2 Raptor for a brief period and really liked it bought a new superduty and just got sick of getting around in it and went back to the raptor I love it so far...

Code Orange makes your truck the ultimate hunting rig...no one will shoot your Raptor.

TSAMP

WKR
I've been tire kicking for months and everytime I rule out a raptor this thread comes alive and I start eyeballing them again.

Is the general consensus that 19 and newer have resolved the cam phaser issue?

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
103K miles on my 2018. 2 sets of cam phasors, around 60K and 100K. Rebuilt shocks at 90K (Probably didn't need it). 3rd set of tires currently, Brakes/rotors at 90K miles. Engine uses 0 oil and it is changed around every 6K miles with synthetic.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I've been tire kicking for months and everytime I rule out a raptor this thread comes alive and I start eyeballing them again.

Is the general consensus that 19 and newer have resolved the cam phaser issue?
Cam phasers absolutely continues to be an issue with f150s. Seems like every one I buy needs them. At this point I think the shop just assume it and starts tearing them apart. 🤦🏻‍♂️

gbflyer

WKR
Gen 1 with 220K miles. Put new Fox 3.0’s on the front the other day and took off the sway bar. Love that truck, just gonna keep fixing it.

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Cam phasers absolutely continues to be an issue with f150s. Seems like every one I buy needs them. At this point I think the shop just assume it and starts tearing them apart. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I just had my 2018 F150 XLT come back from the dealership for cam phaser. Second time it’s been in for full repair, a couple times more for diagnosis. Thankfully all under warranty. First time, they removed the old and replaced with the same design but new parts. Second time, they fixed with the new designed phaser which supposedly fixes the problem. At least it fixed the problem in my case (so far). There’s a YouTube video listing the part number for the updated phaser design. Apparently, the new phaser is standard on ‘21 and newer Ecoboost engines 🤷‍♂️