Ford 5.0L V8 vs EcoBoost: High mileage experience?

If you had only these two to choose from, which one would you pick?

• 5.0L V8 (2018 and newer)

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • 3.5L V6 EcoBoost (2018 and newer)

Votes: 47 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BCsteve

WKR
I drove a 2014 and now a 2018 3.5 EB and love the engine. It’s fast and tons of torque. Nothing but oil changes and air filters on both. I now have a 2023 3.5 EB on order.

CCooper

WKR
After reading all the posts in this forum I will suggest something that hasn't been mentioned because you mentioned new or near new- meaning it would be under factory warranty. How is your local Ford dealership where you would take something for warranty repairs? I am not a brand loyal individual person when it comes to vehicles and have owned most all of the big-name pickups. Our company however will buy nothing but fords no matter what they are pumping out. After dealing with issues with most all manufactures local dealerships between the wife's car and my pickup, we now purchase based on customer service at the dealerships because they all will have their issues. One local dealership in our area is light years ahead of the rest in this department and it happens to be Ford. When we purchased her first Ford SUV it was a 19' Expedition with the 3.5L EB, and it has been great so far.

OP
L
After reading all the posts in this forum I will suggest something that hasn't been mentioned because you mentioned new or near new- meaning it would be under factory warranty. How is your local Ford dealership where you would take something for warranty repairs? I am not a brand loyal individual person when it comes to vehicles and have owned most all of the big-name pickups. Our company however will buy nothing but fords no matter what they are pumping out. After dealing with issues with most all manufactures local dealerships between the wife's car and my pickup, we now purchase based on customer service at the dealerships because they all will have their issues. One local dealership in our area is light years ahead of the rest in this department and it happens to be Ford. When we purchased her first Ford SUV it was a 19' Expedition with the 3.5L EB, and it has been great so far.
That’s pretty good advice. I’m not married to a brand. Initially I thought I was to Ford or possibly Toyota but as I’ve read this thread and researched more about trucks in general, my mind is open. I appreciate everyone’s input.

Unckebob

WKR
the second gen 2.7 is their best engine but i can;t tell if you tow a lot and that's why it's out of the equation?

I had one and it was shockingly fast. The only reason I sold it @75K miles. I needed more safety features and the new F150's were too expensive. I got a Tundra before the new, more expensive version came out.

They are generally not available in the HD towing F150 versions because they want people to sprung for the 3.5.

17 2.7L here with 158k of mix of highway/off-road miles. Lots of 4x4 use. Oil changes, filters,brakes, belt before a long trip, plugs at 100k, and a rotor just the other day is all it's seen.

I was a touch hesitant on the 2.7 before buying and there is no way I wouldn't consider one again. Very pleased thus far. Does absolutely everything I need it to and will flat out get up and go for such a small motor.

My 2014 F150 V8 just had the engine replaced at 163,000 miles due to EXCESSIVE oil consumption. The shop put an engine in it that has 100k miles on it but at least I have something to trade in. I have always driven Fords but am leery with all of the issues I have had plus threads like this. I have been looking at Tundras but don't know if I can stand the gas mileage with as much as I drive. Don't think I would ever go with a Ram so that leaves a Chevy which seem to have their own set of problems.

Metroplex - sounds like you are in the business. What are your thoughts?
If you are replacing an engine due to excessive oil consumption at 163k you would hate the 5.3l Chevy. I had a 2007 Yukon XL with the 5.3 and at 36k it started burning a quart every 1000 miles. Chevy called this normal!

Then at 96k the oil sludged because of the MDS cut off. I thought i snapped the cam. My mechanic was able to flush it and it fixed it otherwise it was an engine rebuild. Then at 115k it blew a head gasket and I traded it in on a used 2014 Ram 1500 in 2016 with 5.7l engine and it has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The oil issue is so bad with the chevy that GM didn't offer a replacement crate engine for the 2007-2009 models! It is still from what I have read is an ongoing issue.

I did a elk hunting trip from the NJ shore to Steamboat Springs Co and back and averaged 21.5 mpg with a fully loaded truck and to my surprise speed limits on Route 80 of up to 85mph! The Yukon XL never did better than 18 on the highway!

highside74

Lil-Rokslider
Buzzkill this thread is. I’m planning on replacing my ‘16 3.5 ecoboost soon as it currently has 130k on it. Nothing but fluid changes and brake pads/rotors since new so it’s been good to me. That 3.5 ecoboost torque is sure nice and I’ve been a fan of it since day 1.

Was tempted to go new tundra but there isn’t good news on them as far as reliability goes either so far and mileage sounds like a downgrade from ford. Might come out ahead in cost of ownership with a 19-20 f150 vs a new tundra but I do worry about why anyone would trade in a good low mile 2-3 YO pickup.
2023 3L Duramax should be on everyone's look list that are interested in a half ton🤯

Tmac

WKR
What I’m reading is buy a 2021 or earlier Tundra and trade gas mileage for reliability.
That’s what I did with a 2019. Were I to do it again, I’d look for a low miles 2016-2018 SR5 or above. Then I’d get the same 38 gallon tank, but have the better transmission cooler. I tow some. If you keep it stock or go no bigger than 33” tires, the mileage is OK. City stop and go stinks, it’s a heavy rig and the accelerations kill mileage. My freeway mileage is 17-18 mpg at 69-71 mph, 19-20 at 55-62 mph. Only issue they have are cam tower leaks, just check that good. If it leaks, does not harm anything but can make a mess.

Diesel prices are running $4.50 to $5.00 per gallon in the west when I drove down with my diesel F350 Coues deer hunting a few weeks ago. About 50% above gas prices, so any thoughts of a small diesel 1/2 ton are gone for me. Just not worth it now. But of course things change. Lately not for the better though.

balkodd

FNG
I had a 2013 F150 with the 5.0. Best vehicle I ever had. I ran it to 229,000 and only had to replace the water pump. I’d buy another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pikespeak

Lil-Rokslider
When it’s rattles upon cold start up. I would say 70k or less is what the dealers want to see on them prior to trade. Typical life based on valvetrain is 120k, ford reman engines on that year are 9month lead time as i just found out. Manifolds are common, turbo failure, transmissions and obviously the phasers.
Uh oh, I have a 2014 3.5 eco with 130k miles and a few weeks ago off and on it started shaking on cold startup. I was thinking it was motor mounts wearing out. Can you tell me more about this?

Pikespeak

Lil-Rokslider
i have 3.5 ecoboost and almost 200k on it. still appears to be running strong aside from the crappy manifold leak that i need to take care of. it is a pretty common problem
I think I’ve had this for the last several years, I can smell it burning off sometimes

TheHammer

WKR
Uh oh, I have a 2014 3.5 eco with 130k miles and a few weeks ago off and on it started shaking on cold startup. I was thinking it was motor mounts wearing out. Can you tell me more about this?
I would put money on it being the phasers. The tension spring is most likely broken or jumped the dowel. They wear out, as does the timing chain, chain guides wear through. Do you and your mechanic a favor put some seafoam in your engine oil a couple days before dropping it off for the chains, phasers and guides… good idea to do the water pump, belts and clean the intakes at this time as well. Or trade the truck in. It’s a time bomb at this point. You were given a warning.

low2497

FNG
I have a 2018 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I just hit the 85k mile mark and it currently has the cold start engine shutter/rattle. Dealership has confirmed that it is the cam phasers and they need to be replaced. We're working with the aftermarket powertrain warranty that I got for "free" when I purchased the truck used, hoping that they will cover the $2,500+ repair.

Supposedly, the newest iteration of cam phasers that Ford released last year have finally resolved the issues of the past. We'll see..

TheHammer

WKR
I have a 2018 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. I just hit the 85k mile mark and it currently has the cold start engine shutter/rattle. Dealership has confirmed that it is the cam phasers and they need to be replaced. We're working with the aftermarket powertrain warranty that I got for "free" when I purchased the truck used, hoping that they will cover the $2,500+ repair.

Supposedly, the newest iteration of cam phasers that Ford released last year have finally resolved the issues of the past. We'll see..
If you look at previous posts I have pics of a set of phasers posted one that was about to cause catastrophic failure and then the updated version with new chain and tensioner. The updated version is not bulletproof. Fords required “software updates” has to be done at that time aswell. Most of the time warranty puts a repair in a box and really hinders the repair from being done correctly. As for aftermarket warranties, good luck. We don’t service them as they are typically near a scam. They typically attempt to provide or only approve parts that are less then oe quality, and after so called allowed repairs are complete they tell you how much of the bill is going to be paid, this giving the customer a less than ideal “repair”, fleet companies operate similarly. Bad for the customer and can easily tarnish the shop.

Pikespeak

Lil-Rokslider
I would put money on it being the phasers. The tension spring is most likely broken or jumped the dowel. They wear out, as does the timing chain, chain guides wear through. Do you and your mechanic a favor put some seafoam in your engine oil a couple days before dropping it off for the chains, phasers and guides… good idea to do the water pump, belts and clean the intakes at this time as well. Or trade the truck in. It’s a time bomb at this point. You were given a warning.
It has since stopped doing that and I know I have a coil misfiring, does that change anything?

2013 3.5EB s-crew 265K

Phasers (rattle on cold startup), throttle body electronics (limp mode), and intercooler condensate drain fixed/installed early on.
Cracks one particular spark plug about every 70k ... CEL throws misfire code.
Water pump and back-side turbo coolant leaks repaired last Feb.
Turbos make a squirrely squeak when pushed but always have.
Tranny is now rumbling in 3 & 6 and I think the torque converter is rumbling too.

Pulls the yacht and hauls stone just fine.
Lie-O-meter says 15.2 mpg (long-term) - I'm 2000 feet above and 30 highway miles from the shop so that get driven 2x/day. Better fuel economy in town than on the highway.

Still cheaper to fix than to buy new.

Previously had a Mazda B2200 and Dodge Dakota V8 go for 350k with work before I gave up, and I have a teenage driver in the house, so I'm not going to get a new truck anytime soon.

What I’m reading is buy a 2021 or earlier Tundra and trade gas mileage for reliability.
Toyota would be at the bottom of the list if you want a truck that does truck shit. Otherwise, be like most Toyota drivers and buy a fashion accessory...A lifestyle statement. Toyota basically says that in their advertising.

I had a Toyota trucklet for 8 years of underachievement and many necessary upgrades.

I bought a 2015 F150, 3.5EB SCREW with the 6.5' bed.
Great engine, somewhat thirsty if you demand power but otherwise totally reliable.
I've had good experience with the 6sp automatic transmission, too.
Driveline and suspension is solid, upgraded to Bilstein 5100 shocks all around and Eibach front springs (I would never preload springs for leveling)
I have 139k on it now and other than basic maintenance and some sort of master cylinder recall, it has asked for nothing.
I do my own maintenance and pay attention to details, which drove me crazy with all the Toyota engineering shortcomings and lowest-cost supplier weakness.
Ford has all the little intelligent details figured out.
They spend the time to make sure a truck is properly designed.
Toyota just focuses on styling.
Back to the original question of which engine, I have thought that heat management on the twin-turbo EB would be a concern if I lived in a dry, hot environment and did a lot of towing. Living in the PNW, where cold rain is the norm, I think the 3.5EB is a solid choice. If this car was towing at 80% of it's tow capacity regularly, I might opt for the 5.0. As mentioned before, turbos rule above about 4000' elevation. The 5.0 would wheeze mightily.

Last edited:

Pikespeak

Lil-Rokslider
2013 3.5EB s-crew 265K

Phasers (rattle on cold startup), throttle body electronics (limp mode), and intercooler condensate drain fixed/installed early on.
Cracks one particular spark plug about every 70k ... CEL throws misfire code.
Water pump and back-side turbo coolant leaks repaired last Feb.
Turbos make a squirrely squeak when pushed but always have.
Tranny is now rumbling in 3 & 6 and I think the torque converter is rumbling too.

Pulls the yacht and hauls stone just fine.
Lie-O-meter says 15.2 mpg (long-term) - I'm 2000 feet above and 30 highway miles from the shop so that get driven 2x/day. Better fuel economy in town than on the highway.

Still cheaper to fix than to buy new.

Previously had a Mazda B2200 and Dodge Dakota V8 go for 350k with work before I gave up, and I have a teenage driver in the house, so I'm not going to get a new truck anytime soon.
I've replaced my throttle body 4x and ford thinks there isn't a problem. Asshats.