Ford 5.0L V8 vs EcoBoost: High mileage experience?

If you had only these two to choose from, which one would you pick?

• 5.0L V8 (2018 and newer)

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • 3.5L V6 EcoBoost (2018 and newer)

Votes: 47 50.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Anyone have experience with these engines, 2016 and newer, with 100k+ miles? Looking for reliability and maintenance experiences.

I’m looking for a new or close to new F150 and need to make an engine decision. FWIW, I own a 2016 T250 Transit with the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost. First gen of that engine I believe. No real complaints other than approximately 1.5 mpg drop since new. I’ve towed one heavy load from Chicago to Texas and felt it did great. Averaged 11 mpg (it was still pretty new at the time) driving approx 70mph. Pulled a Subaru Outback on a Uhaul trailer with about 600 lbs in the cargo bay.

I’m a KISS kinda guy, keep-it-simple-stupid, so bells and whistles, in general, don’t excite me much. But I’m no Luddite and I won’t avoid tech so long as it can be trusted and add value that interests me. The increased power and MPG of the EcoBoosts would be nice. But not at thousands in extra expense over the life of ownership. Performance wise I‘m indifferent to the V8 vs 3.5L EcoBoost, either will accomplish easily more than I’ll demand from them on a regular basis. But, I’d like to own this for the next 10-15 years so I’m focusing on reliability and long-term maintenance cost. Thanks!

wapitibob

WKR
I bought an August build 2020 3.5 and wouldn't go older. 2018/ mid19 still have phaser issues.
As for expectations, it has 68,358 miles on it, no leaks, and no issues.

Last edited:

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
My 5.0 coyote 2013 is problem after problem after problem. And every one of them apparently is a “common problem” for that engine. Hopefully the newer ones are better

I have a 2012 5.0 at 140k runs like a top, had a work truck with a 2013 5.0 at 250k still ran like a top. I like them alot. Have heard some horror stories with eco boosts.

metroplex

FNG
Anyone have experience with these engines, 2016 and newer, with 100k+ miles? Looking for reliability and maintenance experiences.

I’m looking for a new or close to new F150 and need to make an engine decision. FWIW, I own a 2016 T250 Transit with the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost. First gen of that engine I believe. No real complaints other than approximately 1.5 mpg drop since new. I’ve towed one heavy load from Chicago to Texas and felt it did great. Averaged 11 mpg (it was still pretty new at the time) driving approx 70mph. Pulled a Subaru Outback on a Uhaul trailer with about 600 lbs in the cargo bay.

I’m a KISS kinda guy, keep-it-simple-stupid, so bells and whistles, in general, don’t excite me much. But I’m no Luddite and I won’t avoid tech so long as it can be trusted and add value that interests me. The increased power and MPG of the EcoBoosts would be nice. But not at thousands in extra expense over the life of ownership. Performance wise I‘m indifferent to the V8 vs 3.5L EcoBoost, either will accomplish easily more than I’ll demand from them on a regular basis. But, I’d like to own this for the next 10-15 years so I’m focusing on reliability and long-term maintenance cost. Thanks!

If you want a KISS reliable engine from Ford? The 7.3 Godzilla or 6.2L are your only choices.

The Coyote Tick is an issue that Ford has yet to fix.

The 3.5L EcoBoost has had cam phaser issues on the trucks forever and STILL have not been fixed by Ford on the latest trucks, and it includes the Raptor's. The 3.5 runs this super long timing chain as well, so you need to keep up on your oil changes to prevent the soot from wearing down the chain rollers. 5000 mile intervals are recommended, whether it is synthetic 5W-30 or pixie dust uber handcrafted artisanal multi-level marketed oil.

Your Transit's 3.5L EcoBoost is going to be different from the 2018-up F-150 Gen 2 3.5L EcoBoost.The Gen 2 has split injection (port and direct) so the intake valves get washed. The Gen 2 for 2018-up also run the same HO turbos as the Raptor. The only differences are the turbine wheels on the Raptor HO are made of a different material to handle high temperature desert racing schedules and the HO has slightly reduced compression ratio for the same requirement. Otherwise the Gen 2 3.5's for 2018-up have the same turbo compressor maps (HO or Non-HO) so with a tune you can get the non-HO to run about the same or more power than the HO. The Raptor and non-HO engines are torque limited by Ford with the programming for the advertised ratings.

But again if you want a reliable truck engine, the 6.2 or 7.3 Godzilla are really your only choices. I know people are going to fight me on this chiming in with their 2 cents on their experience with their personal EcoBoost engines or Coyote Engines, but there are several known issues that Ford has yet to fix on these engines since their debut. Hard pass from me.

metroplex

FNG
the second gen 2.7 is their best engine but i can;t tell if you tow a lot and that's why it's out of the equation?
The funny story about the 2.7 is whether Gen 1 or Gen 2, the turbos are essentially the same. The same applies to the transverse applications (Edge Sport/ST, Fusion Sport, Continental, etc...) with the differences being the longitudinal 2.7 turbos have different packaging and the turbos spin the opposite direction. Otherwise the compressor maps are identical. Engines are identical (well, Gen 1 truck and transverse at least) with the same heads/cams/etc....

The F-150s have the benefit of a stock intercooler with twice the volume of the transverse engines so with a tune, the increased turbocharged air mass cools down more effectively resulting in even more power than with the transverse applications.

They still really haven't solved the leaky oil pans permanently on the 2.7/3.0 though, and Ford switched to a belt-driven oil pump on the 2020-up 2.7/3.0s (e.g. Bronco Raptor and Explorer ST) and these belts are like rubber cogged timing belts, but soaked in hot engine oil.

FWIW the 3.0 is the 2.7 with more displacement and bigger turbos and first debuted in the 2017 MKZ/Continental, but those still have the chain-driven oil pumps from the first 2015 2.7 engines. Bronco Raptor/Explorer ST have the belt-driven oil pumps and I believe the F-150s with the 2.7s also started getting the belts as well.

I have the 2.7 in my Fusion Sport and I always felt it was fairly anemic. Even with my tune, it is not producing as much torque as the Gen 1 transverse 3.5 EcoBoost in my 2014 SHO. There's about 100 ft-lb difference below 3000 RPM. The SHO launches like a missile at the drag strip consistently, even after 6 back to back 1/4 mile runs.

metroplex

FNG
I bought an August build 2020 3.5 and wouldn't go older. 2018/ mid19 still have phaser issues.
As for expectations, it has 68,358 miles on it, no leaks, and no issues.

2021s and 2022s still have phaser issues. Local dealer told me one owner with a 2021 Raptor came to have the phasers replaced twice already under warranty during the pandemic.

Buzzkill this thread is. I’m planning on replacing my ‘16 3.5 ecoboost soon as it currently has 130k on it. Nothing but fluid changes and brake pads/rotors since new so it’s been good to me. That 3.5 ecoboost torque is sure nice and I’ve been a fan of it since day 1.

Was tempted to go new tundra but there isn’t good news on them as far as reliability goes either so far and mileage sounds like a downgrade from ford. Might come out ahead in cost of ownership with a 19-20 f150 vs a new tundra but I do worry about why anyone would trade in a good low mile 2-3 YO pickup.

prm

WKR
I have 172k on ‘15 F150 with 3.5EB. The little coolant connectors on one turbo got replaced, have a minor leak on a valve cover, and replaced a throttle body once.
I’d get a newer F150 with 3.5 that uses different turbo cooling fittings, better injectors, the 10 speed, and an updated timing chain.

edit: according to guy at Fordtechmakuloco youtube channel, the 18 and 19 (I think that the years he stated) 5.0 is a no go. Wealth of knowledge there.

Last edited:
My 2014 F150 V8 just had the engine replaced at 163,000 miles due to EXCESSIVE oil consumption. The shop put an engine in it that has 100k miles on it but at least I have something to trade in. I have always driven Fords but am leery with all of the issues I have had plus threads like this. I have been looking at Tundras but don't know if I can stand the gas mileage with as much as I drive. Don't think I would ever go with a Ram so that leaves a Chevy which seem to have their own set of problems.

Metroplex - sounds like you are in the business. What are your thoughts?

prm

WKR
If you want a KISS reliable engine from Ford? The 7.3 Godzilla or 6.2L are your only choices.

The Coyote Tick is an issue that Ford has yet to fix.

The 3.5L EcoBoost has had cam phaser issues on the trucks forever and STILL have not been fixed by Ford on the latest trucks, and it includes the Raptor's. The 3.5 runs this super long timing chain as well, so you need to keep up on your oil changes to prevent the soot from wearing down the chain rollers. 5000 mile intervals are recommended, whether it is synthetic 5W-30 or pixie dust uber handcrafted artisanal multi-level marketed oil.

Your Transit's 3.5L EcoBoost is going to be different from the 2018-up F-150 Gen 2 3.5L EcoBoost.The Gen 2 has split injection (port and direct) so the intake valves get washed. The Gen 2 for 2018-up also run the same HO turbos as the Raptor. The only differences are the turbine wheels on the Raptor HO are made of a different material to handle high temperature desert racing schedules and the HO has slightly reduced compression ratio for the same requirement. Otherwise the Gen 2 3.5's for 2018-up have the same turbo compressor maps (HO or Non-HO) so with a tune you can get the non-HO to run about the same or more power than the HO. The Raptor and non-HO engines are torque limited by Ford with the programming for the advertised ratings.

But again if you want a reliable truck engine, the 6.2 or 7.3 Godzilla are really your only choices. I know people are going to fight me on this chiming in with their 2 cents on their experience with their personal EcoBoost engines or Coyote Engines, but there are several known issues that Ford has yet to fix on these engines since their debut. Hard pass from me.

The 7.3 was only launched in 2020. There is no way to know how they’ll do compared to the hundreds of thousands of ecoboost engines. And its not an option on the F150.

Last edited:

SouthPaw

WKR
110k on my 2016 2.7L with the 3.73 gears. It's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, not a single issue or hiccup. Lots of towing, offroad use, hauling up to max payload, etc. The 2.7L has the CGI block and is a very nice blend of power and efficiency. I drove them all and was surprised at how comparable the 2.7 was to the bigger engines for $3k+ less cost. Coming from always having V8s, I definitely prefer the on-demand torque of the turbo V6 in a working pickup.

The one issue I've heard of with the 2.7L engine was a bad batch of injectors run on the mid months of '16 year that can cause oil burning. I'd research the VIN to avoid those or ensure the suspect parts were replaced.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

TheHammer

WKR
3.5s all will do this, even the upgraded ones are known to fail. My19 started making noise at 87k, my truck is far from stock, service intervals are 5k, Failure is typically 120-135k. Service intervals matter, I’d go 5.0 on my next one.

Attachments

• 253E9B7B-A8FA-46F7-9215-12F95EAB390D.jpeg
    253E9B7B-A8FA-46F7-9215-12F95EAB390D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 141
  • F7B449F0-EE6A-4E51-A9F2-933C24039A50.jpeg
    F7B449F0-EE6A-4E51-A9F2-933C24039A50.jpeg
    736.6 KB · Views: 137

metroplex

FNG
110k on my 2016 2.7L with the 3.73 gears. It's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, not a single issue or hiccup. Lots of towing, offroad use, hauling up to max payload, etc. The 2.7L has the CGI block and is a very nice blend of power and efficiency. I drove them all and was surprised at how comparable the 2.7 was to the bigger engines for $3k+ less cost. Coming from always having V8s, I definitely prefer the on-demand torque of the turbo V6 in a working pickup.

The one issue I've heard of with the 2.7L engine was a bad batch of injectors run on the mid months of '16 year that can cause oil burning. I'd research the VIN to avoid those or ensure the suspect parts were replaced.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The 2.7/3.0 all have the CGI lower block. There were valve guide issues in the cylinder head early on from 2015 through January 2017 that resulted in excessive oil consumption.

A lot of us 2.7 owners have odd random misfire conditions, not enough to set off a pending or hard DTC but more often than a normal engine. Just pull the Mode 6 data for misfires and you can see how many are set for each cylinder. When a pending misfire DTC is present, that means you have well over 1000 misfires logged within a time frame. When a hard misfire DTC is set, then it means there's a sh*t ton of misfires. I now wait until my 2.7 is fully warm before even getting into the throttle to avoid this issue.

The 7.3 was only launched in 2020. There is no way to know how they’ll do compared to the hundreds of thousands of ecoboost engines. And its not an option on the F150.

True, but the 3.5 EcoBoost (Gen 1, Gen 2, Transverse) have been around long enough for people to know there are some serious issues that Ford neglected to address. On top of that, the 2.7/3.0 made after 2020 use belts to drive the oil pumps. So when people buy a new 2.7/3.0 thinking "it's the old reliable 2.7 from 2015 or the 3.0 from 2017" they are in for a potential surprise.
My 2014 F150 V8 just had the engine replaced at 163,000 miles due to EXCESSIVE oil consumption. The shop put an engine in it that has 100k miles on it but at least I have something to trade in. I have always driven Fords but am leery with all of the issues I have had plus threads like this. I have been looking at Tundras but don't know if I can stand the gas mileage with as much as I drive. Don't think I would ever go with a Ram so that leaves a Chevy which seem to have their own set of problems.

Metroplex - sounds like you are in the business. What are your thoughts?

I'm not in the business but cars are my other passion and it just so happens I bleed blue even with all the issues that Ford neglects to address. The Coyote tick still hasn't been addressed. The cam phaser problems on the Gen 2 3.5 EcoBoost have not been addressed. If you want a solid and reliable N/A V8, the 6.2L V8 is the first choice and followed by the Godzilla albeit the Godzilla doesn't have the same number of years in the market as the 6.2, it's a better gamble than the 5.0 or 3.5 EB IMHO.

The Chevy 10-speed is from the same joint venture as the Ford 10-speed in case you were wondering. They run a 10Lxx while Ford has 10R80 for the F-series and Ranger and 10R60 for Bronco/Explorer. The last two digits represents the torque capacity in N-m (60 = 600 N-m, 80 = 800 N-m). I believe the Allison 10L100? they have in the Chevy Hd series isn't the Ford transmission but something different. The Camaro ZL1 had a nicely tuned 10L80 as well but Ford's 10R80 still is rather buggy even with the current models. Some claim they shift fine, others find harsh shifting / grinding after awhile.

prm

WKR
I’m not aware of any major issues on the new F150 3.5EB. They updated the cam phasers in ‘19 and I thought that fixed it. Not certain though. Beyond that they are very good engines, and trucks in general.

OP
L
Buzzkill this thread is. I’m planning on replacing my ‘16 3.5 ecoboost soon as it currently has 130k on it. Nothing but fluid changes and brake pads/rotors since new so it’s been good to me. That 3.5 ecoboost torque is sure nice and I’ve been a fan of it since day 1.

Was tempted to go new tundra but there isn’t good news on them as far as reliability goes either so far and mileage sounds like a downgrade from ford. Might come out ahead in cost of ownership with a 19-20 f150 vs a new tundra but I do worry about why anyone would trade in a good low mile 2-3 YO pickup.
Putting out all that cash for a new truck that could potentially have expensive issues is scary. I don’t think there are any sure bets from any manufacturer. Lots of happy owners I’m sure. But there are enough owners with issues that you know you could end up being one of them. Extended warranty may be the best answer.

Kicking all this around, I had the same thoughts on a Tundra as you expressed.