For a given caliber, which factory rifles (sub $1500) handle recoil the best in your opinion?

It seems many people say the Tikka recoils a lot for a given caliber. I've read where X-Bolts come stock with a really good recoil pad. Weatherby Vanguards seem a little heavier, which might help with recoil. Just curious which factory rifles have handled recoil the best for you? I'm interested in stepping up to 7mm or .300 win mag, or even a light recoiling .30-06.

It seems many people say the Tikka recoils a lot for a given caliber. I've read where X-Bolts come stock with a really good recoil pad. Weatherby Vanguards seem a little heavier, which might help with recoil. Just curious which factory rifles have handled recoil the best for you? I'm interested in stepping up to 7mm or .300 win mag, or even a light recoiling .30-06.
It's moreso light rifle = more felt recoil. Tikkas are lighter for an oem so more felt recoil. The aftermarket imbsaver air tech pad rly helps tikkas though. Probably would beat any pad that comes on an OEM stock. Another crutch is a brake or suppressor. If you want to shoot a lot though 30 cal/magnum isn't the best choice. I have 4 tikkas and the 7mag is by far the last one I would choose to shoot.

Macintosh

WKR
The ones that are in light-recoiling cartridges, in heavy guns, with stocks that put the recoil
Pad as close to at or above bore-line as possible, and a negative or at least flat comb.

Ime its mostly a cartridge choice combined with gun weight thing, and barring a terrible stock design that amplifies felt recoil (looking at you, weatherby camilla and similar) most of the factory stocks are similar enough to not split hairs. A sorbothane (kickeez sorbothane or decelerator, not standard rubber) pad, and a brake or suppressor, also help a lot.

hiker270

WKR
Pretty much subjective to the shooter. Some handle recoil some don't. My wife shoots my 300 mag. with no issues my son in law is not a fan. I'm not a fan of muzzle brakes but they really work. A suppressor on a short barrel rifle is a really nice setup. Don't overlook a Sims Limbsaver Airtech recoil pad.

Dave0317

WKR
1. Don’t choose too much cartridge to start with.

2. A heavy gun by the laws of physics will always soak up some of the felt recoil. So going with a heavier barrel like a CTR or Varmint profile will probably help. Mcmillan’s stock fill options can help add weight as well.
Penalty for that is heavier gun to carry.

3. A good stock design that puts the recoil in line with the shoulder will help. A straight high comb works well. A rokstock May be better, I haven’t tried one though. Weatherby’s advertise their stock as helping here, but when you talk to those that actually shoot them, and compare honestly, Weatherby stocks are actually some of the worst.

4. Muzzle devices. I don’t even consider a brake an option these days. The increased noise is just as bad as increased recoil. Suppressor is a win-win in almost every category except cost.

hunterjmj

WKR
Not sure about others but my .30-06 kicks like a mule. I put a limbsaver pad on it and it helps but it's just the way it is. I also have a 300 WM with a McMillan game scout and a Seekins brake and it kicks like my wife's 6.5 cm.

Mojave

WKR
I don't know of any light recoiling 30-06 with 180 grain bullets.

Had a 5 pound 30-06 that was like getting hit in the face with a hammer.

Thumbhole stocks drop recoil.

Big pads drop recoil.

Light weight rifles enhance recoil.

If you want a 300 Weatherby in a 5 pound rifle good luck!

I used to won a 700 Custom KS mountain rifle in 338 win. Kicked really hard. Sold it after about 80 rounds. Had a KDF muzzle brake.