Food plot tractors

Hey guys. I have been looking to purchase a tractor for putting in food plots. I don't know much about the used tractor market right now but am assuming the prices are high, similar to used vehicles at the moment - anyone have any insight on this? I am thinking I want something at least 35 horse with 4 wheel drive due to the slope on some of the property. If anyone wants to share what their setup is, that would be great too. I have been borrowing a tractor and tiller for my work the last few years and it is not a bad route - it would be nice to have one of my own at some point so that I always have access when I need it. 20210814_073058.jpg

I have a 60hp 4wd with a 7’ tiller and old cultipacker. Sometimes a 12’ disc for bigger plots. Broadcast seed by hand, atv spreader, or 3pt spreader depending upon plot size.

OP
180splitg3
I have a 60hp 4wd with a 7’ tiller and old cultipacker. Sometimes a 12’ disc for bigger plots. Broadcast seed by hand, atv spreader, or 3pt spreader depending upon plot size.
What model tractor? Is the tractor market high right now like everything else?

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
My dad has a Kubota L3700 37 hp and a buddy has a similar size New Holland both 4wd. Too rocky to till where we are. We use 3pt spreader or ATV spreader as well depending on plot size. And a UTV sprayer to kill the grass and weeds.

I'd be looking for something straight geared. While nice to drive, especially for those not familiar with tractors, I'm not a fan of the hydrostatic.

Not certain where prices are for the smaller tractors, likely high as inventory is low everywhere.

The john deere compact is basically a yanmar. I like the old new holland boomers, but really don't know much about any of the sub 75 horse tractors.

LostArra

WKR
Is the tractor market high right now like everything else?
The new and used tractor market around here is almost non-existent. I was looking to replace my old Massey 35 and stopped at the Kubota dealer just to look around. The sales guy pointed to three tractors (new and smaller than what I wanted) and said "that's it". Things may be better now.

Most of the used market for 25-45hp is HIGH hours.

I lucked out and found one with only 50 hours. I bought it on the day it was listed. It was bigger than I had planned but no tractor owner ever said they wish they had less horsepower.

Used and new tractors are hard to come by down here. I have a kubota L4630GST 48hp ( glide shift) 4wd with FEL 6’ 16 disc harrow for farm and plots. North Star 10’ sprayer and pto 300# spreader. Great set up. I’ve done 1-5ac plots with no issues. Glide shift is a great set up if you can find one. Anything under 50hp is sold by word of mouth down here

Highly recommend something with a front end loader. I have a TN65 New Holland that came with the farm, and wish I had a front end loader. Would be very useful for pushing things around/cleaning up, as well as fixing roads.

How many acres are you working with? Also, what state are you in? Depending on how hot it gets where you are and how often you plan to use it throughout the year, you might also consider something with a cab. I do alot of bush hogging in the spring and summer, and between the heat, sun, bugs, dust/pollen in your eyes and lungs, yellow jacket/wasp nests, tree limbs slapping you in the face, etc, it can definitely be a full contact sport. Next tractor I get will absolutely have a cab and a front end loader.

JGTWI

WKR
We have a Deere 4066r and use a 8’ disk for tillling.

I agree with the above statement- a front end loader is a must for projects around the property and an enclosed cab is very nice as well.

I wouldn’t want to go with a much smaller tractor for serious food plot work. If you are utilizing ground that has not been worked up in some time (if ever) it can be quite the project even with good equipment.

I use an atv for spraying & dragging (don’t have a cultipacker) and spread all of my seed with a solo hand spreader.

OP
180splitg3
Thanks for the replies so far. I have been strongly considering a cab with heat and AC. I'm in SE MN and we get a broad spectrum of weather. I'm torn between going cheap (which usually means old and probably needing regular repairs) and spending quite a bit more and getting exactly what I want with plans to keep it for a long time. I currently put in about 4 acres of plots per year. One place I hunt is about 70 miles away so I'm trying to stay with something I can tow with my F-150. I'm thinking nothing heavier than 4,500-5000 lbs. I am planning to buy more land in the future but it's hard to say when that might happen...

I really don't much worry about heat, unless it's cloudy. Those cabs are like a solar oven.

For the same reason a properly functioning ac is a must, they still struggle to cool them down.

I'm tempted to be a cool kid and tint my cabs...

Open station with a canopy is pretty nice in the summer. Unless you take company, then not so great.

IMG_20210820_134402307.jpg

I have a Kubota MX5400hstc. I have a 6’ brush hog, 6’ tiller, 2 row no-till corn planter, 10’ disks, and a 6’ York rake. I also plow my snow with it and have a 8’ full angle plow as well.

2b1b86fbb5be3b75b2c62605ebf8ca45.jpg

I shopped around the used market and ended up buying new for less than I could find used for. I bought mine early in the spring of 2020 so things might have changed by now.

The Kubota MX series is really a great model of tractor. Has all the things you need, and nothing you don’t.

Four things that I would say are a must have are the cab, hydrostatic transmission, front end loader, and R1/ag tires. Too many guys end up with the R4 tires and they just don’t work well for food plotting and ground engaging tasks.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure your situation but Kubota usually has 0% on new stuff if that floats your boat. I run a 4 year old Kubota L4701 HST with a loader. Did 30 acres (28 plots) this year. Cut 4 weeks ago. Sprayed 3 weeks ago. And planted 2 weeks ago with an RTP 5' no till drill (I rented the drill from a dealer for $300 a weekend, way to expensive to buy). If you're in SE MN, I'm probably just over the river in Wisconsin in the hills and love my machine.

bwlacy

WKR
New Holland TC35A. 35 hp, 12 speed shuttle shift, independent PTO, 4x4, loader. I have a 6 foot tiller, 5 foot bruch hog, 6 foot cultipacker. I will probably be getting a PTO cone spreader next spring. I bought it used with 1200 hours on it. Does everything that I need so far. My first tractor so I'm pretty new to using them. I'm currently doing about 4 acres of plots and other chores around the property and house. I can trailer it with a 1/2 gas truck no problem.

gelton

WKR
One thing that you might consider is that the larger gear driven tractors are often less expensive than a decked out compact.

I will be picking up a 3046R John Deere after the first of the year which comes with all the bells and whistles but you can pickup a 5055E and get a much larger tractor capable for larger acreage with more horsepower for less money.

What are you planting in plots this size?

Biggest plot I’ve planted are about 100’x50’ of something sweet for them. Beats or turnips. Something that is like Candy for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
What are you planting in plots this size?

Biggest plot I’ve planted are about 100’x50’ of something sweet for them. Beats or turnips. Something that is like Candy for them.

Same thing you are, usually some kind of bulb with green tops. Did try a couple of round up ready alfalfa plots this fall, hoping they come up nice in the spring.

Same thing you are, usually some kind of bulb with green tops. Did try a couple of round up ready alfalfa plots this fall, hoping they come up nice in the spring.

Got ya. I figured I need something a little more enticing since the farmers plant corn, beans and alfalfa.

Where do you get that quantity of seed? Regular feed store?

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Got ya. I figured I need something a little more enticing since the farmers plant corn, beans and alfalfa.

Where do you get that quantity of seed? Regular feed store?

Friend knows a guy from one of the "deer seed" companies and gets it in bulk. It's his deal so I just show up with some basic planting knowledge and the equipment (in exchange for some sweet hunting rights :)). Not sure what they worked out.