FNG - MT - Beginner Backcountry Bowhunting - Recurve

Hello, this will be my first season bowhunting. Planning to hunt in the Montana units near Big Sky, doing one or two night trips. I've been prepping for an an elk hunt, but still haven't figured out what to do with all of the meat if I get one since I probably only have space for about 30 or 40 lbs, so a white-tail would probably be a better outcome.

Shooting a 60# recurve with arrows at about 510 or 525 grains, depending on which broadheads I decide to go with. I've been doing instinctive shooting but just got a sight pin and excited to see if I can really zero in my shots with it.

Planning on going alone but my friend may join, which would be nice for a few reasons, especially sharing the meat.

But this forum is a great resource so I'm happy to join, and looking for general info I've yet to consider, and any tips regarding my specific situation.

Also not sure if this is a thing people do but also willing to find a buddy or buddies to hunt with.

OP
J
Thanks. Just wondering if anyone has any input... would it be feasible to pack out an animal over 2 or 3 days in mid September ~7000+ feet if left hanging high up in a tree in the shade or are Septembers generally too warm?

OP
J
Also wondering about calling in elk. Most of the resources I've seen are all about calling in bulls but I'm trying to get a smaller cow to make the pack out, meat processing, and storage easier. How should calls and other things be changed to target a cow (especially a smaller cow) rather than a bull?

Hoodie

WKR
still haven't figured out what to do with all of the meat if I get one since I probably only have space for about 30 or 40 lbs, so a white-tail would probably be a better outcome.

Invest in a chest freezer on the off chance you're successful. You can usually find them cheap used (my old one was $50). I would not put myself in a position to be dealing with 180+ lbs of meat without a way to store it.

I also would not want to give away 150lbs of meat from my first elk and only keep 30lbs. Elk taste really good.

Wrench

WKR
September can swing from 25 to 95* on any day. If you need 3 days to get out, you might consider updating your location or making bigger loads.

Wrench

WKR
If you must leave meat. You want deep draws with water in them. Hang it overnight and bundle it together with your bags/gear for insulation during the day.....repeat as necessary. I've seen 1500 feet lower be 20* cooler at night as a norm.

OP
J
Thanks for the tips everyone.

Also I've seen some people saying they use trash bags just for the pack out to keep their packs clean, but I have gear dedicated for hunting only so I'm not so concerned if it gets dirty, but if it would have no negative impact on meat quality then maybe I would use garbage bags for the pack out just to minimize the mess?

Also some people say they wrap the meat in plastic bags and store it in a creek, sometimes for days, but I can't imagine this would be a realistic option in grizzly country?

Welcome to the forum and good luck this season. I have hunted solo in the backcountry for several years, like many of the members here. Searching the threads abit tends to yield great results.

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure that I’d leave meat in that are for three days. That is the heart of grizzly county. There was jus a women killed by a grizzly less than an hour south of there. Some of the highest grizzly densities in the state

OP
J
Certainly, this forum has been a big factor in my preparation, especially after getting through the basics, I find myself reading here more and more for diving into the nitty gritty, great community here.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

OP
J
Do you guys think a tripod is necessary for glassing with binos only? In my neck of the woods I can walk 10 minutes from my front door around sunset time and have a high chance of seeing elk a few hundred yards away. I think there are enough around that I don't need long range and long hour glassing sessions to figure out where to go, but that may just be my ignorance? On the flip side it would be nice to have a tripod for mid-day when when I plan to mostly just sit and look for bedded elk and observe/learn patterns.