Floorless shelter for solo and two person use - $500 to spend and lots of questions

Mike7

WKR
I think TiGoat makes a high quality shelter from my observations, but the useable space and ventilation with a Pyramid compared to a Tipi is a lot greater which adds to the Pyramid's versatility I think. I would think that 3 people, gear, and a small stove would fit in a Luna 5 without any problem...because the stove could be set slightly off center (it will be interesting to see what Rucker thinks). With the stove in the center there is plenty of room in my Luna 4 for 2 guys, hunting gear, firewood, and the stove. 3 would fit easily in the Luna 4, but not so well with a stove I think.

With the Pyramids, part of the livable room is dependent upon how high you pitch up off of the ground. This ability to pitch it up off of the ground over logs and huckleberry bushes, etc. is great, but probably my favorite thing is that without changing any stakes or the center pole, a person can walk around the mid in under a minute if a storm is coming, and loosen the leeward guylines, while tightening down to the ground the windward guylines. Then the shelter does not beccome a sail as Luke mentions, but still maintains vetilation.

Mike7

WKR
The Luna 4 with stove jack is a bit much for going solo in my opinion, but I use it solo sometimes, and use it with 2-3 people with hunting gear but no stove a lot. I could certainly get away with a Luna 3 size if mostly going solo, or going with one other guy, but without a stove.

tttoadman

WKR
The lack of door is the only reason I passed on the jimmy tarp. I was primarily looking for a spike shelter and went with the gatewood cape. I added 24" guy lines so I can pitch higher and/or hook rocks. If he makes a closed up unit, I may look a little harder.

When he comes out with an annex I'll buy one and a DT that day. That shelter looks REALLY good, in a weirdo about not having a door option.

not fully enclosed is why i never bought one. something like this fully enclosed would be sweet to run and gun sorta speak.

Lil-Rokslider
Rucker61, your Luna looks pretty nice and I think one will suite my needs just fine. I will have to give Bear Paw a call before to long to order one so I can give it a few test run before hunting season. Thanks for everybody's help and pics.

If you want to give it a try on a budget, check out Jimmy's Tarps on facebook or ebay. Has quite a few different Silnylon tarps/shelters to choose from and they are priced very well.

From my own experience, I did not like the small Tipi design. I had a Duomid, and always having to maneuver around the pole in the middle of that small shelter made it seem like the usable space was cut in half. The DT shelter I got from Jimmy's Tarps has an offset pole at one end of the shelter so its well out of the way of most things you need to do and positioned well so you can sit up at that end of the pitch. Weight is right at 10oz.

I talked to him the other day, and he is also making an annex/door for the DT shelter that will have a stove jack for 4 season use.

https://www.facebook.com/JimmyTarps

I like the look of this tarp and even more so the price. I've been getting the itch to try a floorless tarp for weight reduction. Have you had any experience with this model with any kind of a snow load?

Rucker61

WKR
Rucker61,
Would you feel there is enough room in your luna5 for 3 adults with a stove + gear? That's the setup I've been looking at, but I know there may be a time where may want 3 people total in there.

Tough to call. I've only had me in the tent and without a stove. I would think it would be doable but you may need to stack the gear.

mmw194287

WKR
The Cimarron looks really intriguing. I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you.

charvey9

WKR
When he comes out with an annex I'll buy one and a DT that day. That shelter looks REALLY good, in a weirdo about not having a door option.

He is testing one out for Spring bear this season, so expect they'll be available shortly after that. I was able to rig one up using a 6x9 tarp.

charvey9

WKR
I like the look of this tarp and even more so the price. I've been getting the itch to try a floorless tarp for weight reduction. Have you had any experience with this model with any kind of a snow load?

No experience with snow yet, although I have endured some good snow in a tipi. I suspect the side with the steeper pitch would do really well, but longer side may accumulate and sag a bit.

I have zero experiance with what your asking but I wonder if you could run a tarptent stratospire2 without the inner and put a stove In it. Dual entry and you have the option of sans stove and a double wall if you want.

I too like the SS2 but find the ladies prefer a nest to keep the creepy crawlers and slitherers away. Why pack a stove if you already share the tent with a hottie? :)

Clarktar

WKR
I went with jimmy tarp DT with a tarp annex. Have not used in the field yet. But the weight and price was to good to ignore. The DT will serve as my base camp and I can detach the tarp annex and throw it in my pack if I am thinking of spiking out. My intended use is May - September hunts. If I'm still hunting in oct- nov. I am hoping to be with a partner and use a sawtooth. Jim seems like a stand up guy and I happy to support him ( still need to test the tent though)

Clarktar

WKR
I should add going with the DT setup you save a good amount of that 500 and can put it to use in other ways. Also, I was able to find some used ruta locura carbon fiber tent poles. I did not want to have to use trekking poles as I take those with me when hunting and did not want to break tent down each morning. A stick would work but once your above timberline it becomes a pain in the ass to carry one around or even find one.

Ironman8

WKR
I went with jimmy tarp DT with a tarp annex. Have not used in the field yet. But the weight and price was to good to ignore. The DT will serve as my base camp and I can detach the tarp annex and throw it in my pack if I am thinking of spiking out. My intended use is May - September hunts. If I'm still hunting in oct- nov. I am hoping to be with a partner and use a sawtooth. Jim seems like a stand up guy and I happy to support him ( still need to test the tent though)

Is the "annex" the 6x9 tarp that he makes or something different? Does it actually attatch or do you just lay it over the opening of the DT?

Also, I believe one or more of the bottom edges of the DT are designed to be raised off the ground. How much of a gap is there between the ground and tarp? Can it be pitched to the ground if you want to block out wind?

Clarktar

WKR
I will setup the DT and annex this evening and send the pictures. The annex is a tarp and on the DT there is a connection point that he adds for this type of use.

I really like the fact that the "annex" is just a tarp, that can be taken with me during the day, in the chance that I want to bivy out. I enjoy the flexibility.

Clarktar

WKR
wasn't able to get to this, had a last minute fire to take care of. But I will get it up this weekend and snap some pics.

charvey9

WKR
Is the "annex" the 6x9 tarp that he makes or something different? Does it actually attatch or do you just lay it over the opening of the DT?

Also, I believe one or more of the bottom edges of the DT are designed to be raised off the ground. How much of a gap is there between the ground and tarp? Can it be pitched to the ground if you want to block out wind?

The 6x9 tarp is a separate item. According to Jimmy, he is testing a door/annex designed to fit the DT that has a zipper door and stove jack. I will pick one up when they are available. I just improvised a door out of the 6x9 tarp, because that is all I had. I expect the door he designs will work out well, and be lighter than the tarp.

The steep side does pitch about 8" off the ground when at full height. I haven't tried to snug it up to the ground yet, but should be possible. I took it out for the first time last weekend and found it to be about perfect for access to my wood pile outside the tent. It got down in the low 30's that night with some rain. Worked great, and look forward to trying out the door. If he ever makes one out of cuben fiber i'll check that out too.

reaper

WKR
In my opinion if you think you'll use a stove and money is no problem go with the seekoutside 4 man tipi,good for 2 peoples+stove and dog,if you go with a smaller shelter i think youll regret it,in solo this is perfect you can even use a camp cot and a stove and still have room for gear.

dogtipi.jpg
tipicot.jpg
tipinest.jpg

Jimss

WKR
I haven't waded through all the posts but you may want to take a look at the Hilleberg Anjan GT. It has a separate giant floorless vestibule attached to the mesh/floor tent compartment. The 3 season Anjan is lessor price than the Nallo GT's which are 4 season. If you want even more space without floor it's possible to use just the fly without the inner tent. I do this all the time during early season scouting/hunting and add painters plastic to keep my gear/bag clean and dry. If you want an incredible amount of space with a super light/compact tent I would advise taking a look at this option! It's pretty hard to beat Hillebergs!