Bug Bivy In a Floorless Shelter

rclouse79

WKR
This is exactly why I use a piece of high quality roofing underlayment under my Borah bivy, darn mats are freaking expensive and I don't want to carry a bulky foam mat, the underlayment hardly weighs anything and packs easily.
Is that different than tyvek?

OP
Y

Yomomma

FNG
Is that different than tyvek?
It’s a little bit different. It’s still a vapor barrier essentially, just thinner and quite a bit lighter. Really is a good idea to use the roofing underlayment. I bet its half the weight of tyvek. Just got done roofing my grandmas house last week and it’s tough stuff. Hard to cut with a sharp knife even. I’m going to have to try that.

JPD350

WKR
I have a material called Stinger EXO50 which I believe is very similar to a Tyvek roof underlayment. I may be wrong but I think most people use a piece of Tyvek house wrap, which is thinner and gets softer with time.

I have about 4 years of use on a piece of EXO50 and it is still in good shape with no signs of wearing out at all.

Attachments

• 20230510_084256.jpg
    20230510_084256.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 29
OP
Y

Yomomma

FNG
I have a material called Stinger EXO50 which I believe is very similar to a Tyvek roof underlayment. I may be wrong but I think most people use a piece of Tyvek house wrap, which is thinner and gets softer with time.

I have about 4 years of use on a piece of EXO50 and it is still in good shape with no signs of wearing out at all.
Very nice, that’s good to hear. the stuff I have access to is the Owens Cornering pro armor roof underlayment. I’m going to cut some off this week and compare it to house wrap tyvec

dtchhuntr

FNG
Seems like the order/PayPal cart are still active? But based on the dates listed on the website I didn't order. Sent them an email inquiring if orders are still open or if I need to hold off til the 29th, will report back what I learn when they reply
Did you ever hear back? I also saw the cart looks like you can checkout but the notice still says orders are closed until the 29th

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have a BPWD tarp with beaks at each end and net tent with bathtub floor. Works great for early season. Each piece weighs right a pound apiece. I'd be willing to sell.

Attachments

• bpwd1.jpg
    bpwd1.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 23
  • bpwd2.jpg
    bpwd2.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 22

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Did you ever hear back? I also saw the cart looks like you can checkout but the notice still says orders are closed until the 29th
Sorry I forgot to post, yes did hear back, confirmed it's on pause/cart system is disabled somehow that wasn't apparent to me (my guess is orders don't go through/get cancelled or something) so I have an alarm set for the 29th

dtchhuntr

FNG
Sorry I forgot to post, yes did hear back, confirmed it's on pause/cart system is disabled somehow that wasn't apparent to me (my guess is orders don't go through/get cancelled or something) so I have an alarm set for the 29th
Thanks. I'll do the same. I bought the nest for the Absaroka but this would be a lighter option for just me.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I'll do the same. I bought the nest for the Absaroka but this would be a lighter option for just me.
Same here. Absaroka with nest is great, but getting a bivy for when I want to use a stove (though I hear a half-nest is in the works, will likely grab one of those too), or when I want to go even lighter and use bivy with a small tarp/with nothing if weather allows