Flex-Fletch SK-2

My SK-2 fletching arrived yesterday and yes I knew they were 2” vanes but damn they are smaller than expected.

I shot 2.1” Q2i in 3 fletch last setup. I was planning on using these SK-2 in 3 fletch as well. My question, without having a chance to test them is these 2” SK-2 to small for 3 fletch configuration? I will be using mechanicals only.

big44a4

WKR
My SK-2 fletching arrived yesterday and yes I knew they were 2” vanes but damn they are smaller than expected.

I shot 2.1” Q2i in 3 fletch last setup. I was planning on using these SK-2 in 3 fletch as well. My question, without having a chance to test them is these 2” SK-2 to small for 3 fletch configuration? I will be using mechanicals only.

Plenty big for mechanicals. High profile. For me they are loud so I would never hunt with them personally but know many that do without issue.

OP
F
The SK300 is quieter, the 200's should be called BB200's for Bumble Bees. They do steer well tho, stick easy, and are durable.
Damn, that sucks. I’ll have to do some testing I chose them for quietness. Do you think it would be worth going to The 3 inch or sticking with my 2.1 Q2ii’s?

Damn, that sucks. I’ll have to do some testing I chose them for quietness. Do you think it would be worth going to The 3 inch or sticking with my 2.1 Q2ii’s?

What are your overall goals?

To have a lightweight, quiet, hunting vane, I have been using Bohning Heat. I can get fixed heads to fly with them, but I don't trust it in hunting conditions. So I carry a few AAE Max Stealth fletched arrows on my larger fixed heads.

I like having as quiet a hunting arrow as I can get for whitetail, not so concerned with it for elk, mule deer, or bear.

I think the Q2i's are a good vane. They are easy to glue, reasonably durable, but heavy. I don't think the 3" is as quiet as the the sk300. I don't think I have compared them in 2", never personally used a q2i besides the 3".

I think you will be served fine by either really. Get to looking at the differences and it's miniscule. Anymore I tend to pick a vane off of it being easiest to work with. I don't like a bunch of steps to get a vane to stick. FF, Q2i, Bohning all meet that.

big44a4

WKR

To have a lightweight, quiet, hunting vane, I have been using Bohning Heat. I can get fixed heads to fly with them, but I don't trust it in hunting conditions. So I carry a few AAE Max Stealth fletched arrows on my larger fixed heads.

I like having as quiet a hunting arrow as I can get for whitetail, not so concerned with it for elk, mule deer, or bear.

I think the Q2i's are a good vane. They are easy to glue, reasonably durable, but heavy. I don't think the 3" is as quiet as the the sk300. I don't think I have compared them in 2", never personally used a q2i besides the 3".

I think you will be served fine by either really. Get to looking at the differences and it's miniscule. Anymore I tend to pick a vane off of it being easiest to work with. I don't like a bunch of steps to get a vane to stick. FF, Q2i, Bohning all meet that.

Agreed the sk300 is better choice for hunting. Still louder than a max stealth and the Q2i griff X 3”. Nothing scientific just my ears and others. As you mention only issue is Q2i are heavy but no prep needed to get them to stick. So I use the griff X for all my arrows.

OP
F

Yeah this is for hunting mule deer hunting. Spot and stalk. Using 4MM Easton axis. My good is quiet and good long range performance. I’m either gonna exhange for SK-3 or stick with q2i 2.1 vanes. I do this 3 degree right helical.

Have you considered using the smaller vane, but going to 4 vanes? I shoot that configuration and love them set up that way.. I don't use mechanicals, but they steer everything I have shot very well..

Yeah this is for hunting mule deer hunting. Spot and stalk. Using 4MM Easton axis. My good is quiet and good long range performance. I’m either gonna exhange for SK-3 or stick with q2i 2.1 vanes. I do this 3 degree right helical.

The shorter vane is going to be quieter at 3 degrees more than likely. Might be a little difficult to get the sk300's on a 4mm shaft with 3 degrees, just depends on your jig.

I shoot the short vanes (4 vanes) on 4mm Easton Injexions with 2 or 2.5 degree and they work great.. I did order a 3-D printed fletch holder that clamps into a straight clamp for the Biz from a fellow on Rokslide.. Works better than anything I've tried.. This jig gives 100% contact at 2 or 2.5.. I second the shorter will probably be quieter, but 4 vanes give you roughly the same surface area as 3 longer for steering, but less flutter/noise.. Also, the weight of 4 short vanes is almost the same a 3 longer ones.. Overall a great tradeoff..

dcopher

Lil-Rokslider
The SK-200's in a 3 fletch should be more than adequate for mechanicals. Like others have pointed out, the Silent Knight vanes are anything but silent. No scientific testing, but my ears and 4 others have the SK's as the loudest vane out of the 5 I tested last year. They were picked out as the loudest on every single random trial. Just something to think about, I would put them at the very bottom of my list for hunting vanes.

OP
F
The SK-200's in a 3 fletch should be more than adequate for mechanicals. Like others have pointed out, the Silent Knight vanes are anything but silent. No scientific testing, but my ears and 4 others have the SK's as the loudest vane out of the 5 I tested last year. They were picked out as the loudest on every single random trial. Just something to think about, I would put them at the very bottom of my list for hunting vanes.
Seems to be a consistent theme here. What’s vanes were the quietest in your testing?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The SK300 is quieter, the 200's should be called BB200's for Bumble Bees.
I tried both the 2" and 3" in a 3 degree helical, and both were and have been the only vanes I've ever heard while shooting them. IMO the 3" were louder, but both were very noticeable.

I shot the bull in my avatar with a mechanical head and three Q2i Fusion Xii 2.1" vanes. Those worked fine with mechanicals, and were OK with fixed blade heads too......but just a little less consistent with fixed blades. With them in a four fletch fixed blade heads shoot well.

I tried both the 2" and 3" in a 3 degree helical, and both were and have been the only vanes I've ever heard while shooting them. IMO the 3" were louder, but both were very noticeable.

I had less offset. I generally use less with a longer vane. My SK300's weren't very loud at all.

I don't think I'd use a 3" vane @ 3 degrees, I just find you don't need it. Short vane more helical.

Edit: I'll clarify that I don't need a long vane at a heavy helical for my shooting. If you are using a great big fixed head or bunch of FOC you might definitely want it.

Last edited:

dcopher

Lil-Rokslider
Seems to be a consistent theme here. What’s vanes were the quietest in your testing?
The two quietest in my testing were the Q2i Fusion 2.5" and the TAC Driver 2.25". AAE Max Stealth 2.6 were also right there. I ended up going with (4) TAC Driver's on my arrows and was perfectly happy. TAC vanes can be tougher to deal with than others, but I had no issues with mine.