Flatlanders wanna try elk in '24, needing some experienced advice!

Ok, a buddy and I are experienced deer hunters from the midwest and we'd like to try an elk hunt this fall. Heres what I know (assume) so far, any input is appreciated.

1. We will have good boots/packs/clothing, as well as rifles that we will be competent with out to 600y from field rest positions.
2. We will need a guide as we have zero experience. I understand that will be in the 10k range? Any recommendations?
3. We are open to destination, kinda thinking NM or one of the southern states, but thats just because Ive deer huntered in MT and CO and would like to see a different part of the country.
4. Im sure we will be sucking wind at altitude, but we will come in pretty good shape for old guys....

So let 'er rip, advise away, any legitimate help is appreciated!

Weldor

WKR
NM is a draw state, I'm sure your aware. That said it could take years to draw tags. Same for AZ. NM does have LO tags, might be your best bet., but pricey. Look at Utah also.

Laramie

WKR
NM is a draw state, I'm sure your aware. That said it could take years to draw tags. Same for AZ. NM does have LO tags, might be your best bet., but pricey. Look at Utah also.
Doesn't NM still offer transferable landowner permits? No draw needed if you have enough money.

Laramie

WKR
Ok, a buddy and I are experienced deer hunters from the midwest and we'd like to try an elk hunt this fall. Heres what I know (assume) so far, any input is appreciated.

1. We will have good boots/packs/clothing, as well as rifles that we will be competent with out to 600y from field rest positions.
2. We will need a guide as we have zero experience. I understand that will be in the 10k range? Any recommendations?
3. We are open to destination, kinda thinking NM or one of the southern states, but thats just because Ive deer huntered in MT and CO and would like to see a different part of the country.
4. Im sure we will be sucking wind at altitude, but we will come in pretty good shape for old guys....

If you have the time to wait a year, I would recommend the following;

Find a guided cow elk hunt for 2024. Those run anywhere from $1500 to $2500 through most of the rocky mountains. If you can, choose one with an outfitter you would consider doing a bull hunt with in the future. The experience you gain will help with your eventual bull hunt and you will possibly have a first hand reference before spending 10K+ on a bull hunt you know nothing about. As a bonus, you will have a bunch of great meat for the winter.

If you aren't willing to wait while doing a cow hunt, dump all of your energy into researching a good hunt. If you are going with an outfitter, your clothing won't be nearly as important as selecting the right hunt. Take offered referrals with a grain of salt- you never know the motivations of someone on a random forum that you have never met. Do your own research.

Dr Evil

FNG
As a fellow "flatlander" that has been on 4 elk hunts - I would also suggest you look into "drop camp" hunts. I've done this three times in Colorado and it's much cheaper than you've posted and the intel given is pretty solid for success if you're willing to put in the work (read walking many many miles). If you are open to a cow elk hunt too, you could easily find some landowner tags in an OTC state (I know you said you'd prefer against Colorado but just saying that's an option) and likely have a slightly easier time at altitude and most certainly a higher probability of success. Land owner tags in Colorado are also cheaper than NM.

Biggest advice to you is to show up in shape. Not what you think is in shape but seriously in shape. I'm not sure how old of a guy you are, but I'm 51 and was 49 on my last elk hunt. Set yourself a goal weight then come in lighter. I don't think anyone ever wished they weighed more on a mountain. I'm a pretty avid fitness freak -being a mountain biker and a 4-5 time a week Crossfitter and I still struggled the first day (but not after). I can't stress enough that if you can't move for miles and miles, it will impact your hunt and the rest of the prep will have been for nothing. Two of the four trips I have been on the mountain, one or more of my buddies showed up out of shape and they were miserable and went home empty handed.

bisblue

WKR
I would echo chasing a cow tag for your first year. Just wrapping your head around Western hunting takes time and experience. usually the first year is just learning the lay of the land, a little.

Get fit, spend money on a personal trainer who can give you some quality info on showing up prepared.

I own these fellas, they are easy to work with handle and usually you can rent them. They will drastically change your ability to hunt farther and move if needed.
20220701_122522.jpg

Plenty of LO tags available in NM and you don’t need a guide if you put in a little work. Most are going for about $800-$1k now. You can also hunt an Indian reservation for a cow. The Jicarilla in NM is $1k but you have to have a tribal member guide you and it is a draw but it’s pretty much guaranteed.

Dr Evil

FNG
Just to go back and add a little flavor to my first post. Here is the bull I got in Colorado on a drop camp hunt. I got him on the 3rd day.

Weldor

WKR
Check out Huntin fool website and you can get a rough idea of costs. Not a endorsement ,just for info.

rootacres

WKR

Hey guys, fellow midwest flatlander here. I am by no means as experienced at western big game as I am midwest whitetail. That said, I have hunted quite a bit out west. I think I can be of some help here.

1.) I believe the 2 things that will send you home the quickest are having bad boots and/or a bad pack. If you tear your feet up, you are going to have a bad time and not hunt as hard. Splurge on some good boots (crispi, kenetrek, Lathrop etc) you will be glad you did. Break them in. Get a good pack. Buy a few and figure out which one fits best, return the rest. You don't need a 600 yd rifle to be successful. But if you can be proficient at 600, the 300 yard shot in the field feels easier.

2.) Many good outfitters could be booked for 24 already. $10k is probably a good start. It may be less, it also could be more. Keep in mind, tag cost, travel, 10%-15% tip etc. A $10k hunt turns into $13k real quick.

3.) NM is a good spot for land owner allocated tags as I imagine you all don't have points to burn. WY is also a good spot depending on your points.

4.) Depends on altitude. I have hunted in NM, AZ, and WY. Where all 3 toped out at roughly 6k ft. I felt pretty good there. But CO at 10k+ ft you feel it 100%. There are some supplements that have helped me in the past.

Just my humble 2 cents. Unless you have alot of $ to spend on a "ranch" or guided hunt my advice is work on your fitness and mental toughness. Western DYI elk hunting is no joke. I've personally witnessed on several trips "excellent fit flatland hunters" get broken down by the Mountain. If this is your first elk hunt and you anticipate doing this regularly in the future maybe do a DYI cow elk or a decently priced non-trophy guided bull hunt. This way you you can get your feet wet and learn without the heavy price tag. Do your own online research, e-scout, and don't be afraid to speak with the local biologist once you've selected the Unit. Some flatland hunters coming out for the first time to elk hunt don't fully understand how much goes into a successful elk hunt. There's alot to learn and it takes time. Whatever you decide enjoy the process, memories, and keep your expectations in check.

Just my humble 2 cents. Unless you have alot of $ to spend on a "ranch" or guided hunt my advice is work on your fitness and mental toughness. Western DYI elk hunting is no joke. I've personally witnessed on several trips "excellent fit flatland hunters" get broken down by the Mountain. If this is your first elk hunt and you anticipate doing this regularly in the future maybe do a DYI cow elk or a decently priced non-trophy guided bull hunt. This way you you can get your feet wet and learn without the heavy price tag. Do your own online research, e-scout, and don't be afraid to speak with the local biologist once you've selected the Unit. Some flatland hunters coming out for the first time to elk hunt don't fully understand how much goes into a successful elk hunt. There's alot to learn and it takes time. Whatever you decide enjoy the process, memories, and keep your expectations in check.
All excellent advice!

If you really REALLY want to prepare for a hunt go the extra mile and make a summer trip to your area. Yes, it’ll cost a few bucks and take some of your time, but it could be the best investment you make. Setting foot in and laying eyes on your area in person prior to a hunt could literally double your chances of success.

Learning just the simple things is valuable. When you show up for your hunt you’ll know right where you wanna throw your tent exactly where you want to be at first light and where any obstacles are that you might need to hike around.

So many people scouting these days. But if you went out for a week in the summer you would have a really good time and accomplish what E scouting or forum chat will never accomplish.

“We need a guide” No, you don’t. With a budget of 10k plus license and travel PER MAN you can easily buy a wall tent and gear, fly out and rent a vehicle in July or August, and drive back out to hunt. That would be a better investment in your future than handing a guy 20 grand to hunt for 5 days. Remember on a diy hunt you can hunt twice as long with no extra cost.

But if you really want to spend 20k give me a call and I’ll put a bull in your crosshairs! Good luck!