Flat Top Mountains Elk

CBKY97

FNG
I’ll being doing a trip to the Flat Tops (unit 24) this year hopefully in 1st rifle if I get drawn in the secondary draw, or 2nd rifle OTC if I don’t get a draw tag. I’ve hunted units 11,22, and 211 before but never have ventured into the Flat Tops. I plan on going out a month or two early to scout some. It will be a 2 man hunt, backcountry camping (single man tents, no ATV or Horses) and all on foot. I know having a horse or ATV is ideal, but we will be doing it all on foot. What areas should I target for access? Any advice appreciated.

Do you want drainages or gps coordinates where the elk are?

I’m really looking for areas to access the unit. I know there are several marked campsites at trail heads but I’m sure these get claimed fairly quickly.

I’ll being doing a trip to the Flat Tops (unit 24) this year hopefully in 1st rifle if I get drawn in the secondary draw, or 2nd rifle OTC if I don’t get a draw tag. I’ve hunted units 11,22, and 211 before but never have ventured into the Flat Tops. I plan on going out a month or two early to scout some. It will be a 2 man hunt, backcountry camping (single man tents, no ATV or Horses) and all on foot. I know having a horse or ATV is ideal, but we will be doing it all on foot. What areas should I target for access? Any advice appreciated.

Has anyone here used the trailheads going east out of Stillwater? Do people run ATVs on those up to the wilderness boundry?

You said you're going to scout it, so get a map and scout the access areas you like. Then you'll know what access will work.

That’s the plan, but there’s lots of trails going in on every side of it and I was hoping to have a good idea of which area I should target being I will only have a day or two to scout.

As i mentioned to the other guy asking the EXACT same thing a few weeks ago. The Flat Tops are covered up in elk. Just find an easy to access area that looks good and head out! You probably wont have much competition due to the extremely limited tags in that area. Also, hold out for a good bull! 300+ is very common. Shouldnt have to venture to far from the trailhead either. Sit water holes if you find one. All the other hunters you will see are probably just grouse hunters.

As i mentioned to the other guy asking the EXACT same thing a few weeks ago. The Flat Tops are covered up in elk. Just find an easy to access area that looks good and head out! You probably wont have much competition due to the extremely limited tags in that area. Also, hold out for a good bull! 300+ is very common. Shouldnt have to venture to far from the trailhead either. Sit water holes if you find one. All the other hunters you will see are probably just grouse hunters.

Sorry, I’m new to the forum and haven’t quite figured out how to fully navigate it, I’ll try and look into some of the previously posted forums. Thank you for the help!

Not sure if you're a resident but either way, this is a great resource. Filter through the layers and you can find many trail heads, herd patterns, winter grounds, summer grounds, migration routes, etc. Good luck this fall! https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

If the link doesn't work just google Colorado Hunting Atlas. Also, AllTrails is good for seeing the numerous trail heads around Colorado.

I've received some significant help from the forums but had to do a TON of homework on my own. Attack it from as many angles as you can possibly come up with and then narrow down your questions for the forum. You'll get better replies. ;)

Not sure if you're a resident but either way, this is a great resource. Filter through the layers and you can find many trail heads, herd patterns, winter grounds, summer grounds, migration routes, etc. Good luck this fall! https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

If the link doesn't work just google Colorado Hunting Atlas. Also, AllTrails is good for seeing the numerous trail heads around Colorado.

I've received some significant help from the forums but had to do a TON of homework on my own. Attack it from as many angles as you can possibly come up with and then narrow down your questions for the forum. You'll get better replies. ;)

I’m a non-resident, I’ll be coming over from Kentucky (24 hour drive) so I won’t be able to do much scouting before season. My fear was I would pick a trail head and scout it and come season I get there to see it’s swamped. I’ve combed through the atlas before but not in enough depth. Thank you very much for the info!

I’m a non-resident, I’ll be coming over from Kentucky (24 hour drive) so I won’t be able to do much scouting before season. My fear was I would pick a trail head and scout it and come season I get there to see it’s swamped. I’ve combed through the atlas before but not in enough depth. Thank you very much for the info!

Best advice anyone can give you is to have Plans A-Z. Have several places selected as backups. Pick a dozen trail heads and that way if the first three are full, you have a plan in place to move on until you find something more to your liking.

Best advice anyone can give you is to have Plans A-Z. Have several places selected as backups. Pick a dozen trail heads and that way if the first three are full, you have a plan in place to move on until you find something more to your liking.

Sounds like I need to set aside more time for scouting. Thank you!

True on the adjustment. The flatops are pretty high in elevation. Some adjust quickly, some not so much. It's not all about fitness either. The OP might want to read the recent altitude thread.

Read this twice..... i hunted unit 25 in 2015 & it literally nearly killed me. Trailhead at 9k, topped out at nearly 13. Didn't see a hint of an elk when we got up there & we're honestly to exhausted to relocate after 4 days. Came home to TN far wiser than I left.

Back