Help packing into CO Unit 24 for my dad

Hi guys. I could use some help finding a horse or mule to help my dad pack in at Colorado Unit 24 for 1st Rifle this year.

My brother and I have taken my dad on DIY elk hunting trips for years. He's been able to pack in and keep up with us, but he's just getting to the age where it's difficult to pack in the weight. We hunt in Unit 24 - Flat Tops Wilderness. This is a non-motorized unit, and we love it because of that.

Does anyone know of someone who provides a service to just pack in equipment? We don't need a drop camp or guides. Just a mule or horse to help pack the items up the mountain.

It's been difficult to search for this, as everyone seems to advertise drop camps or guided hunts.

Really appreciate the help.

Call the outfitters in the area ur hunting, that’s who’s permitted to do it. Many outfitters don’t offer gear packing anymore, it’s just a huge hassle typically or have strict rules on who they pack in and where to. Coloradooutfitters.org will get you quote a few of outfitters names in unit 24, or you can call the USFS or CPW tell them where you are hunting or want to go, like drainage not u it 24 and they can tel you who is permitted in that drainage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
hunterandprey
Call the outfitters in the area ur hunting, that’s who’s permitted to do it. Many outfitters don’t offer gear packing anymore, it’s just a huge hassle typically or have strict rules on who they pack in and where to. Coloradooutfitters.org will get you quote a few of outfitters names in unit 24, or you can call the USFS or CPW tell them where you are hunting or want to go, like drainage not u it 24 and they can tel you who is permitted in that drainage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice! I'll get to work on these and see what options we can dig up. Appreciate it!

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Hi guys. I could use some help finding a horse or mule to help my dad pack in at Colorado Unit 24 for 1st Rifle this year.

My brother and I have taken my dad on DIY elk hunting trips for years. He's been able to pack in and keep up with us, but he's just getting to the age where it's difficult to pack in the weight. We hunt in Unit 24 - Flat Tops Wilderness. This is a non-motorized unit, and we love it because of that.

Does anyone know of someone who provides a service to just pack in equipment? We don't need a drop camp or guides. Just a mule or horse to help pack the items up the mountain.

It's been difficult to search for this, as everyone seems to advertise drop camps or guided hunts.

Really appreciate the help.
There's an outfit in Meeker that's really good, Sable Mountain. Backstory, Gene Scritchfield, the husband of this family business was a Bronze Star winner, died in a tractor rollover accident, quite a while back, his widow has been running it ever since as far as I know.

They've packed me and friends a few times, highly recommend.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
hunterandprey
There's an outfit in Meeker that's really good, Sable Mountain. Backstory, Gene Scritchfield, the husband of this family business was a Bronze Star winner, died in a tractor rollover accident, quite a while back, his widow has been running it ever since as far as I know.

They've packed me and friends a few times, highly recommend.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Thanks a ton. Will call them tomorrow.

Jmoore

FNG
There’s quite a few in Meeker but I can vouch for Tel Gates and Rivers Bend Outfitting. He’s a stand up guy and his crew is 2nd to none.

MHalas

FNG
We used Sombrero to rent a horse.

I know the guy on the SW side of unit 24 absolutely won't help anyone.

custis

FNG
Sombrero ranch rented us a pack horse to retrieve an elk 2nd rifle north of Meeker and did a great job. Good people.