2024 Montana Elk Permit Strategy

cjadams25

FNG
I have been hunting in Montana now for a couple years. I am a resident and my dad is a nonresident. I was able to find success on the rifle opener this year, and my dad flew in over the Thanksgiving holidays to try and fill his general tag. With the herds being pushed down by the snow, the elk were all over private land down low and getting pushed all over the valley by hunters on foot, on utvs and in trucks. I have been able to find success in getting away from roads and going places other hunters overlook by getting into some nastier terrain on foot, but my dad doesn't get around very well anymore. He can't hump the nasty terrain and he can't get where he needs to be fast enough to beat other hunters in the rat race that takes place down in the valley when the elk are present. I will continue to hunt on a general tag, but I'm looking for a draw permit in moderate terrain for my dad. For him, elk hunting is more about quality than quantity these days. And drawing is less important than breathing room. If anyone could give me some ideas or point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I live in region 300 so anything within 3-4 hours of the Belgrade area would be ideal.

Tldr;
Looking for a Montana elk permit unit with moderate to easy terrain near the 300's for my dad who is getting old and slowing down

S.Clancy

WKR
I would suggest going with an outfitter in a gen area. Even the permit hunts in MT you are going to have to bust your ass.

Or except that elk hunting is a young, fit man's game, especially if you are looking for "quality".

OP
cjadams25

cjadams25

FNG
I would suggest going with an outfitter in a gen area. Even the permit hunts in MT you are going to have to bust your ass.

Or except that elk hunting is a young, fit man's game, especially if you are looking for "quality".
Can’t afford a guide and not looking to hunt a general area. And not all terrain is created equal. For instance I wouldn’t take my dad for a hunt in the beartooth range even though that’s where I bow hunt because I wouldn’t want to give him a heart attack on the hike in. I’m thinking about applying for the breaks bull tag or finding a permit in region 5 where the terrain is a little more open. The issue is I can’t scout every permit area in the state so I’m looking for insight from someone who might have drawn some of these permits before. After this year we agreed I’d just take him bird hunting in the years he doesn’t draw elk so it’s no rush. I’ll still get to hunt with my dad every year and fill my own general elk tag and then if he draws we can focus on his hunt. My bad for not explaining clearly enough on the initial post.

S.Clancy

WKR
He would be better off saving money over a couple of years to go with a guide than hoping someone is going to give you primo information on any draw units in the state.

Further, almost everyone that pulls a draw tag is shooting a smaller 6x6 or 5x5. A draw tag is no guarantee of even seeing a big bull. If he can't hike very far you will still be covered up in people.

My suggestion is to put in some legwork over the next several years in some different draw units. Scout in the summer, see what you can find. That is what the rest of us did to figure things out.

OP
cjadams25

cjadams25

FNG
I can't usually scout in the summertime as I'm usually training or fighting fires for the Montana National Guard. I'm usually limited to scouting during early bear season which is how I usually find my elk hunting unit for the year. As I stated before, guided isn't an option. I was just hoping to find some insight on here since that's what this forum is for to the best of my knowledge. I'll be doing some more research. I'm just looking for a place to start for now since I've got a couple months before the draw.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
The breaks can be a good spot in terms of being able to see elk, but getting to them, especially in a timely fashion, is still a PITA. I look at the breaks as just being upside down mountains. The terrain is still nasty its just hiking down and then back up vs in the mountains where you hike up then back down. There will still be a bunch of deer hunters and cow hunters pushing the elk around so you won't avoid that issue. Outside of that, I really don't know of any other area in the state that holds elk that is an easier hunt. I realize that an outfitter is out of the question... do you have any friends that own horses that may be willing to help you and your dad out? Outside of that, I don't know of any way to get an older individual further from the pressure. I would suggest finding a good funnel or feeding area that is within a mile of the road and have him sit for extended periods and have others push the elk to him. The hard truth is that if he can't handle that he may be past his time of having a decent shot at getting an elk.

OP
cjadams25

cjadams25

FNG
The breaks can be a good spot in terms of being able to see elk, but getting to them, especially in a timely fashion, is still a PITA. I look at the breaks as just being upside down mountains. The terrain is still nasty its just hiking down and then back up vs in the mountains where you hike up then back down. There will still be a bunch of deer hunters and cow hunters pushing the elk around so you won't avoid that issue. Outside of that, I really don't know of any other area in the state that holds elk that is an easier hunt. I realize that an outfitter is out of the question... do you have any friends that own horses that may be willing to help you and your dad out? Outside of that, I don't know of any way to get an older individual further from the pressure. I would suggest finding a good funnel or feeding area that is within a mile of the road and have him sit for extended periods and have others push the elk to him. The hard truth is that if he can't handle that he may be past his time of having a decent shot at getting an elk.
If we're able to see elk, I feel good about getting a shot and if push comes to shove I have a couple buddies that would be willing to help out with the pack out and would probably love to help out on a hunt in the breaks. I've always wanted to hunt the breaks its just hard to justify getting out there logistically on my own when I have elk in my backyard already. If we can get on a bull, I'll carry him if I have to. Thanks for the insight!

I can't usually scout in the summertime as I'm usually training or fighting fires for the Montana National Guard. I'm usually limited to scouting during early bear season which is how I usually find my elk hunting unit for the year. As I stated before, guided isn't an option. I was just hoping to find some insight on here since that's what this forum is for to the best of my knowledge. I'll be doing some more research. I'm just looking for a place to start for now since I've got a couple months before the draw.
I would look at previous years harvest/draw stats, use onX or similar mapping software to e-scout for your preferred terrain/topography, and lastly call the local Montana biologist and pick his/her brain on the subject (be prepared to ask good questions demonstrating that you've done your homework). You'd be surprised how much good Intel the biologist can provide you with.

OP
cjadams25

cjadams25

FNG
I would look at previous years harvest/draw stats, use onX or similar mapping software to e-scout for your preferred terrain/topography, and lastly call the local Montana biologist and pick his/her brain on the subject (be prepared to ask good questions demonstrating that you've done you honework). You'd be surprised how much good Intel the biologist can provide you with.

Much appreciated. I use OnX for most of my scouting and gohunt for draw odds/hunt filtering and then take to the forums when I need some advice. I’ll be sure to add contacting the local biologist to my tool belt. This application season is gonna look a lot different from previous years and I’ll take all the help I can get. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
It'll be 20 years or longer before he draws a general season Breaks tag. Hate to say it, but there aren't any easy to draw worthwhile rifle permits in MT for bulls. Even the central units have started to get tougher odds and those are pretty much guided only units due to private land.

Cows on the other hand, there are many great late season areas that are easy hunts, or relatively easy hunts for a cow in general units. I could have shot several cows within 1/2 mile of a road the week before Thanksgiving last year. Just didn't have a cow tag. I always think about it, and never get one. It's an easy draw where I hunt.

The best advice is given above. Find country on the maps that you think your dad can handle, and go figure those units out. Otherwise, look into private land access and start networking.

Jeremy

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve drew three limited permits since 2014 in Montana two rifle and one archery. Yes I seen bulls but nothing big and it was far from easy to fill a bull tag, due to a unlimited number of deer hunters, 600 cow elk hunters, and lots of pressure from other bull hunters. It required running and gunning to outmaneuver other hunters.
Any draw hunts in Montana are not a guarantee, but just a little better opportunity than general tags. I would look into a guided ranch hunt up by Lewistown for access of easy terrain and lots of elk. Best of luck.