FL wick hoodie vs Sitka?

Kelias10

FNG
Classified Approved
Where do you put your money? I’m starting from scratch to build my layering system for next years CO elk hunt.

I am a Sitka and stone glacier

I personally like stone glacier merino for base and then their synthetics over top when needed

Sitka top over layers for outter most jacket or camo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
You're probably going to get a lot of info on the benefits of synthetic over merino, which is generally true. I find the Sitka lightweight fabric uncomfortable though and prefer the Wick hoody between the two.

ljalberta

WKR
I have the wick in quarter zip and the Sitka light hoodie. Merino(wick) for longer trips where synthetics can really start to stink up. Synthetic (Sitka hoody) for shorter trips. Both are super comfortable, but I like how fast the synthetic dries and wicks moisture.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I own, use, and love both. Which one I grab depends on the season, condition, and other variables. Merino and synthetics both have pros/cons, and personal preference will also come in to play.

You can read opinions all day, but the best answer will come from personal testing and experience.

ljalberta

WKR
If you’re building your system from scratch and if budget is a concern, you can get Costco 100% merino base layers for less than $20. They’re not the best base layer, but they’re pretty good and you can’t beat them value wise.

Beckjhong

WKR
I own, use, and love both. Which one I grab depends on the season, condition, and other variables. Merino and synthetics both have pros/cons, and personal preference will also come in to play.

You can read opinions all day, but the best answer will come from personal testing and experience.
I second this. There’s the “Rokslide formula” of what you’ll read you’ll need, and what works for you. I am a sweaty human, and for that reason I prefer synthetics as my merino never dried. A hunting buddy can hike the mountain in a cotton hoody at 60 degrees and not sweat a drop. Tailor to your preferences and body.

I have the wick in quarter zip and the Sitka light hoodie. Merino(wick) for longer trips where synthetics can really start to stink up. Synthetic (Sitka hoody) for shorter trips. Both are super comfortable, but I like how fast the synthetic dries and wicks moisture.

merino wool usually stinks on day 3 or 4 for me. So, if I'm on a 7-day backpack hunt if I'm going to stink halfway through anyways I'll use the synthetic that stink after day 2 with odor control treatment as the benefits of durability, fast drying and ease of layers win out for me.

OP
K

Kelias10

FNG
Classified Approved
For mid September elk, what are the opinions on the base layer with a hood? Better to use mid layer with hood and a base layer tee?