Fishnet base layers. They work, and you want them.

jd1006

WKR
My wife has a pair of the capiliene air…they are very comfortable. Don’t look very durable, though and the merino blend has a low % of merino. They are good for what she uses them for, but she doesn’t doing anything high energy in them to test how well they manage moisture.

Fredrik E

FNG
I have used nets for the last 30 years. When hunting i go with wool, when exercising crosscountry skiing or running i use nets of polypropylen.

I use brynje and aclima. No big difference in quality.

In my opinion nets perform better than plain fabric,

Cheers Fredrik

Skickat från min HD1903 via Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
I’m sold on the Brynje wool t-shirt I got in fishnet. Looks weird as hell, but functions awesome. Hiked in below zero weather yesterday with a pack on, and after about 30 min I was dry and the moisture was moving through my 2nd layer (nano air light hoody). No smell on the fishnet due to the 80% merino content. It’s tighter fitting, but for an active baselayer, it does the job as good as anything that I have.
Did yours have solid material on the shoulders? Looking at getting one. Fishnet under heavy pack straps seems sucky.
What size are you and what size did you order?
Thanks in advance.

jd1006

WKR
Yeah, it has solid fabric over the shoulders. I am 5’11 175lbs and ordered a medium and it about perfect. I have a long-sleeve from Aclima coming, that was only $50 compared to what Brynje charges for their t-shirt.

PS For everyone who's posted about their buddies laughing in the field ... I think I could handle that more than my partner laughing at me all day ... especially at the moments when I haven't had another layer on top.

All the sledging/hazing from mates would be nothing compared to her pointing to my nipples, as if I'm wearing a string bikini in public like it's 1978 ... :cry:
Just buy her some fancy underwear from Negative Underwear (nsfw) - she'll understand once she sees how comfortable it is.

Last edited:

jd1006

WKR
The aclima shirt is fantastic. It’s dialed in and I believe I paid the equivalent of about $60 for it. It will be my go-to baselayer top for anything below 50 degrees

Shraggs

WKR
Can anyone help me, I have emailed them twice to ensure I get the correct size but I haven’t heard back. Anyone have a successful email contact with them?

Dobermann

WKR
Can anyone help me, I have emailed them twice to ensure I get the correct size but I haven’t heard back. Anyone have a successful email contact with them?
If you're asking about Varusteleka, rather than Aclima (and Varusteleka are often cheaper), then this should work: [email protected]

For sizing. scroll through all of the images on the Varusteleka website - they show two guys of different builds, both in Medium shirts, and their caption points out that they should have been in Smalls.

While the baggyness of the Medium on the models is obvious, I was still a bit dubious, but went with it, ordered a Small, and it fits great ...

So assuming this sizing quirk exists across their range, you might find you want to size down. At the very least, don't size up.

Perhaps others could post sizing info compared to body stats?

Dobermann

WKR
Was thinking aclima, thank you so much tho Doberman. Any difference in quality, wool content?
My understanding is that Varusteleka sells Aclima - that's what it's branded on on their site, and on the gear ... and I think others here have said that's where they sourced theirs from too.

It might depend on where the Aclima website recognises you're based, but from what I've seen Varusteleka is a lot cheaper to buy from than sourcing from Aclima directly; don't know why.

I ordered mine from varuste.net. Shipping was very quick and they had the best price that I found. As for sizing, I'm 5'8" 170 athletic build. I went with M top and S bottoms and the fit is very good. I do wish they had thumbholes but outside of that there's not much else I'd improve. The wool is soft and comfortable against the skin too. I also have a couple pairs of Eberlestock Airbase polypro fishnets and they are lighter weight and dry quicker. They also have larger openings compared to Woolnets. The quality isn't even close to the Aclima Woolnets and the fit/feel isn't as good either. The Woolnets have a double knee/elbow as well which is nice. I'll be using both this year with the Airbase getting the nod for hotter/humid days due to quicker dry times and the Woolnets for all other days.

Dobermann

WKR
I ordered mine from varuste.net. Shipping was very quick and they had the best price that I found. As for sizing, I'm 5'8" 170 athletic build. I went with M top and S bottoms and the fit is very good.
From memory, that's a similar build to one of their models they show in a Medium, which they say would fit a Small better. I'm similar stats to you, not so "athletic" at the moment, but the Small top fits well.

That's interesting about the Small bottoms; I hadn't ordered mine yet. Hmm.

Thanks for the useful data points! :)

From memory, that's a similar build to one of their models they show in a Medium, which they say would fit a Small better. I'm similar stats to you, not so "athletic" at the moment, but the Small top fits well.

That's interesting about the Small bottoms; I hadn't ordered mine yet. Hmm.

Thanks for the useful data points! :)
Absolutely. I could definitely see a small fitting and not being an issue. Only reason I went with M is due to having a bigger chest/lats from working out. The material has some stretch so sizing down might be a good idea. I am 32" waist and the S is a bit more snug to my body than the top but not by much. Even though it's not recommended I could dry the tops on high heat to shrink them a bit too.

The Aclima layers are loooong. I'm 6'5" 205lbs, with an average (for height) wingspan. The standard L top fits great. As for the legs, I am a 34/34 in jeans and the L bottoms were perfect for me.

Dobermann

WKR
Absolutely. I could definitely see a small fitting and not being an issue. Only reason I went with M is due to having a bigger chest/lats from working out. The material has some stretch so sizing down might be a good idea. I am 32" waist and the S is a bit more snug to my body than the top but not by much. Even though it's not recommended I could dry the tops on high heat to shrink them a bit too.
Gotcha. The Smalls for a 32" waist squares with their sizing chart.

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
If you skip the first 10 minutes of this film, and then again up to 20 minutes (here every layer is detailed), you 'll see how I use fishnets. It's no different in the warmer season, I just don't have the one-piece winter layer or the overwhites. (Right around 15 minutes I detail how we protect hands here, it is perhaps a little different).

Even in this weather there is no problem with the stop-go activity hunting is.