Firsthand info on SEVR

I’ve killed a bull with an iron will and I lost a bull that should have and most likely died with a SEVR.

The bull I killed with an iron will was uphill from me at the shot. High lung shot. He trotted down hill to my elevation for another lung shot. He tumbled down the hill for another 35 yards where I put another lung shot in him. Took him about a minute to expire with 3 double lung shots. Elk are tough.

The bull I lost with a SEVR was a high lung shot. Arrow disappeared in him. I presume it passed through as I couldn’t see it hanging out upon his retreat, but we never located the arrow. About 1.5 minutes after the shot, we heard him fall ~250 yards from the shot. We searched for hours to never find a single drop of blood, the arrow, or the bull. There’s not a doubt in my mind that the sound we heard was him falling. We just never located him.

I’ve killed about 15 animals with SEVRs. They haven’t impressed me. Blood trails always tended to be lacking in comparison to grim reapers (largely because of the 3 blades vs. 2). SEVRs aren’t very sharp from the factory and they’re a PIA to sharpen. The bull I lost probably wouldn’t have ever bleed that well from any broadhead given how high the shot was, but I still expected to find at least some blood.

If you’ve got the energy for a 1.75” SEVR you’ve got the energy for a 1.25 or 1.5” grim reaper fatal steel. I’ve killed somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 animals with grim reapers. Maybe close to 40, they’re by and large my favorite mechanical. The slogan “watch them drop” has been my overwhelming experience from shooting them at game.

I put a second small braces rubber band over one locking tab and under the other. That takes the buzz out of almost all SEVR. I’ve done a cross cross on a few that were positive they were made to rattle
That shouldn’t be necessary. How they get let out the door that way is unforgivable. No broadhead should rattle, ever.

I’ve had good luck with SEVR. I killed my last two bulls with them, one at 70 yards and one at 25. 70 yard shot was not a pass through, but was a heart shot. He didn’t go far. The 25 yard shot was slightly quartered to, and I hit slightly high and back. Caught lungs and liver, and he went about 600 yards. Good chance the wide cutting helped me out on that one. I punched a rib on the entry, no pass through. Both SEVR 2.0, 520gr arrow at 276fps. I’m going to use the 1.75s moving forward. IMO, if you’re going to use a 1.5 two blade, you might as well run a fixed like a kudu point 1.25, as long as your bow is tuned well enough to shoot them adequately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’ve had good luck with SEVR. I killed my last two bulls with them, one at 70 yards and one at 25. 70 yard shot was not a pass through, but was a heart shot. He didn’t go far. The 25 yard shot was slightly quartered to, and I hit slightly high and back. Caught lungs and liver, and he went about 600 yards. Good chance the wide cutting helped me out on that one. I punched a rib on the entry, no pass through. Both SEVR 2.0, 520gr arrow at 276fps. I’m going to use the 1.75s moving forward. IMO, if you’re going to use a 1.5 two blade, you might as well run a fixed like a kudu point 1.25, as long as your bow is tuned well enough to shoot them adequately.

How was the blood on that 600 yarder? I'm assuming fairly decent since you were able to track for 600 yards.

I've never used them...but I have guided a few guys shooting them. Mostly good...and I think 2 blade mech heads are overall better than 3 blade...but the one guy shot and his arrow nok was making big circles to the animal- ending up in just a nick. It was crazy.

The best we could figure, one blade came loose when he removed it from the quiver causing the arrow gyrations.

How was the blood on that 600 yarder? I'm assuming fairly decent since you were able to track for 600 yards.

Not great. Most high shots don’t bleed well in my experience, especially with no exit. Maybe the blood can pool in the body cavity without exiting? Plus my arrow didn’t come out, it broke off after about 400 yards. Blood every 25-50 yards, first blood I found was over 100 yards from where I shot him. I was just impressed the shot killed him as quickly as it did, considering how marginal it was. He crossed a big timber choked ravine in front of me when I shot, and I heard him crash in the general location of where I found him dead within 30-45 seconds of the shot. Found him by tracking, not blood. Just verify it’s his tracks every so often when I found a blood spot here or there. I’ve honestly had far better luck tracking than being totally focused on blood when looking for animals. Tall grass is the killer. Unless the ground is very very soft, tall grass will leave no tracks. But if they’re bleeding at all, you can usually find where the grass has brushed blood off their brisket or side.

Last edited:
I’ve used SEVR 1.5’s for several years now and I like them. They fly great and do their job well. I recommend them to anyone.

I have considered trying Rage due to poor blood trails but I like how a SEVR pivots when it encounters a hard object like a rib.

Not great. Most high shots don’t bleed well in my experience, especially with no exit. Maybe the blood can pool in the body cavity without exiting? Plus my arrow didn’t come out, it broke off after about 400 yards. Blood every 25-50 yards, first blood I found was over 100 yards from where I shot him. I was just impressed the shot killed him as quickly as it did, considering how marginal it was. He crossed a big timber choked ravine in front of me when I shot, and I heard him crash in the general location of where I found him dead within 30-45 seconds of the shot. Found him by tracking, not blood. Just verify it’s his tracks every so often when I found a blood spot here or there. I’ve honestly had far better luck tracking than being totally focused on blood when looking for animals. Tall grass is the killer. Unless the ground is very very soft, tall grass will leave no tracks. But if they’re bleeding at all, you can usually find where the grass has brushed blood off their brisket or side.

Thanks for the details. We had to track my son's bull the same way a few years ago (6.5 CM), zero blood and had to pick out his tracks from the other 8 sets of tracks all going in different directions. Long stretches with zero tracks just instinctively going in a direction, sure would've been nice to have a drop of blood every now and then on that one.

These were all shot with Sevr 2.0 125 grain. The bow was a Bowtech reign in performance mode with 70LB limbs set at 29.5 DL shooting Easton Axis 5mm arrows. Chrono shows my speed is around 290-292.

The first mule deer was shot in his bed from about 5 feet above him. The arrow did not pass through the bottom of rib cage.

The whitetail was shot frontal at 40 yards. Complete pass though. Exited in front of hindquarter. Exit hole looked like entrance.

The second mule deer was shot at 60 yards broadside. Complete pass through. Picture is showing exit.

The third mule deer was shot at 25 yards quartering to me hard. Complete pass through. Picture shows the exit.

Those two exits are quite a bit smaller then I expected and believe the blades pivoted when they hit bone and stuck like that.

I also shot an antelope broadside at 70 yards but did not take a picture. The arrow got poor penetration and did not pass through.

I have shot a few other deer with them but blood trails were not that great. They all resulted in dead animals except for one whitetail buck. I shot him from the ground broadside at roughly 30 yards. Arrow hit offside shoulder and broke off. Had minimal blood and never found the buck.

This is just my experience with them, you may get different results with your set up. I have since gone to grim reapers but I know folks who swear by the Sevrs.

Attachments

• IMG_6904.png
    IMG_6904.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6898.png
    IMG_6898.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6900.png
    IMG_6900.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6906.jpeg
    IMG_6906.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6905.jpeg
    IMG_6905.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 18
These were all shot with Sevr 2.0 125 grain. The bow was a Bowtech reign in performance mode with 70LB limbs set at 29.5 DL shooting Easton Axis 5mm arrows. Chrono shows my speed is around 290-292.

The first mule deer was shot in his bed from about 5 feet above him. The arrow did not pass through the bottom of rib cage.

The whitetail was shot frontal at 40 yards. Complete pass though. Exited in front of hindquarter. Exit hole looked like entrance.

The second mule deer was shot at 60 yards broadside. Complete pass through. Picture is showing exit.

The third mule deer was shot at 25 yards quartering to me hard. Complete pass through. Picture shows the exit.

Those two exits are quite a bit smaller then I expected and believe the blades pivoted when they hit bone and stuck like that.

I also shot an antelope broadside at 70 yards but did not take a picture. The arrow got poor penetration and did not pass through.

I have shot a few other deer with them but blood trails were not that great. They all resulted in dead animals except for one whitetail buck. I shot him from the ground broadside at roughly 30 yards. Arrow hit offside shoulder and broke off. Had minimal blood and never found the buck.

This is just my experience with them, you may get different results with your set up. I have since gone to grim reapers but I know folks who swear by the Sevrs.
When I grow up I wanna be a slayer like you. Nice pile of animals you got there.

I would lean towards a single bevel fixed. If you get a full pass through the animal is going to expire. Mechanical leaves to much room for error. Put some weight on the arrow and shoot a fixed blade.

Mechanical leaves to much room for error.

Man I think the exact opposite: that a mechanical will bail you out of bad shot more times than not. I've recovered animals shot in the throat and the guts with mechanicals. I believe I've mortally wounded two that I never recovered, one fixed and one mechanical. I think I would have found the mechanical hit one if I had been granted private access to search.

Man I think the exact opposite: that a mechanical will bail you out of bad shot more times than not. I've recovered animals shot in the throat and the guts with mechanicals. I believe I've mortally wounded two that I never recovered, one fixed and one mechanical. I think I would have found the mechanical hit one if I had been granted private access to

Everyone has different opinions. I’ve had better luck with fixed single bevels. It’s all about what you trust. I had a bad experience with a mechanical not opening on a giant late season spot and stock white tail hunt which steered me away from mechanicals in general. I do believe mechanicals play a purpose in youth hunting or people shooting light poundage’s. If your white tail hunting out of a blind and shoot inside 30 yards I’d lean towards mechanicals. Mechanicals if they open will always give you a better blood trail then any single bevel. It’s all situational. However if you shoot to far forward that mechanical will shatter where a single bevel would more then likely shatter that front shoulder and allow for way more penetration. Plus I’ve seen way to many pictures of deer walking around with arrows in them from a mechanical head…

Back