First Western Rifle

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
Well I'm sure this isn't the first "help a noob pick his caliber" thread, but here goes.

I've started looking at setting up a "do it all" western rifle. Elk, Muleys, antelope etc.
I can't picture myself ever shooting further than 500 yards.
I'd like to stay under $2000 on the base rifle.

Edit after some feedback:
6.5 PRC, 7 REM MAG, & 300 WSM are the main 3 I'm looking at so far.

Last edited:
Those cartridges will absolutely get the job done. However, inside 500 there are many options that kill just as effectively for all the species you mentioned with a fraction of the recoil. This translates to a shorter learning curve for learning how to shoot longer range, and increased hit probability. Below are several options you may want to consider.

If you're not a reloader:

6 Creed
.25-06
6.5 Creed
7mm-08
6.5 PRC
.280AI

If you are a reloader:

.223 w/heavy bullets
25 creed
25-284

To make the most informed decision, especially as it relates to smaller cartridges and their killing potential, please take the time to review these threads.
I recently did a little research and put some recoil numbers together for the 7 PRC on a different thread, and here is a link if you care to review.

Last edited:

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at the same thing, but the cartridges I am looking at are 6.5 PRC, 7 PRC, and 280ai. Less recoil and all will take anything out to 500 no problem. I really like the 280ai, but the selection of rifles has taken a back seat to 7mm PRC. I think 6.5 PRC would do everything I need, but I don't think you can beat 7mm PRC on a possible marginal shot at distance.

The .284 is probably the most universally accepted "do it all" western caliber.

This forum will steer you towards the .22 and .243.
"Universally accepted" shouldn't be the standard by which a guy looking to buy his first big game rifle should subscribe. If that's the case he wouldn't have come on here and asked for recommendations, he coulda just bought whatever the gun counter guy suggested at his local store.

.223 and .243 are good, but not the only options.

Matt5266

WKR
Based on what your stating and wanting to spend around $ 2000 on a rifle , not including scope. I'd recommend what I recently purchased for basically the same reasons you are looking for.

Seekins Havak Ph2 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Accurate, cheap to shoot, find ammo anywhere, lower recoil, and can easier take anything where I live (Idaho)

180ls1

WKR
"Universally accepted" shouldn't be the standard by which a guy looking to buy his first big game rifle should subscribe.

Sure, but its a factor.

If that's the case he wouldn't have come on here and asked for recommendations,

You don't know that.

he coulda just bought whatever the gun counter guy suggested at his local store.

Yes, he could have but he wanted more input. Obviously.

.223 and .243 are good, but not the only options.

You think? He literally mentioned other options in his post lol.

TaperPin

WKR
In the days before the internet or laser rangefinders, teenage me would often hunt, shoot and reload with an older family friend. I had a 270, and he killed everything in Wyoming with a 7 mag. Watching the reaction of animals and the distance he was hitting, it didn’t take long before I was borrowing his rifle. One day he cut me off - he said it’s time to get my own. That original 7 mag was modified over time to be what I think is the ultimate mountain rifle - Rem 700, match grade #2 profile 26” barrel, 6x scope, light weight stock, aftermarket trigger.

My first wife shot a 243 well out past 400 yards, and she could tell a 7 mag works better than a 243 when we’re hunting side by side, so she asked for her own 7 mag after that first year and never looked back.

160 gr Partitions have been replaced with 160 gr Accubonds, but this combination simply works. I’ve never felt the need to autopsy anything, and between my hunting partners we rarely had caliber discussions, because it has such a long history of working every time everywhere. It’s like a reliable pickup truck - you don’t have to over think or question it - it always works well for anything it’s used for.

I have a dozen calibers, larger and smaller, but when it comes to the most effective killing package, the 7 mag gets the nod. I tried to convince myself the 6.5 PRC was just as good, but nah - went back to the 7 mag. I’m going to get a fast twist 7 STW and fast twist 264 win mag, but a decade from now you’ll meet me on a ridge in western Wyoming with an old 7mag - my happy place.A6784E70-14A1-43AF-A447-D96DDAFD1398.jpeg

Okie_Poke

FNG
Well I'm sure this isn't the first "help a noob pick his caliber" thread, but here goes.

I've started looking at setting up a "do it all" western rifle. Elk, Muleys, antelope etc.
I can't picture myself ever shooting further than 500 yards.
I'd like to stay under $2000 on the base rifle.

300 WM, 300WSM, 7MM RM, 7MM PRC are the main 4 I'm looking at so far.

Of those you list, assuming you don't handload, I'd pick the 7mm Rem Mag because (i) it has the least amount of recoil of these options, and (ii) it has better factory ammo availability than everything on this list save the 300 Win Mag. If you do handload, substitute 7 PRC. All will work, and all are going to hit plenty hard on both ends of the rifle.

For what you're planning to do with it, though, I'd be looking at something a little lighter as others have mentioned. If I were going to add to my collection right now for this niche, it would be a 280 AI. But I handload. 7mm-08, 270 Win, 6.8 Western, 6.5 PRC would all be good choices too, depending on what trade-offs you want to make. The list goes on and on. The cartridge doesn't really matter---the bullet is what does the killing.

My current western rifle is a Tikka in 30-06, which isn't exactly ideal for anything but works pretty well for most things at the ranges we're talking. But if you go that route, be prepared: every 30-06 rifle sold after 2006 comes with an Elmer Fudd costume you have to wear or the gun won't shoot. It's weird.

OP
W

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the input and feedback. I think I've got it mostly narrowed to the 6.5 PRC, 7 Rem Mag, & 300 WSM now.

2-Stix

WKR
I run a Tikka Wideland in 7rm with a factory break, UM rings and a NF NXS 3-15. Its a bullet proof set up. I also have a Tikka SS 6.5CM I had cut and threaded with a break UM rings and NF NXS 2-10 for my 11 year old son. Both will get it done. My 7rm is a tack driver. These are both with breaks so the recoil is mild.

Factory box ammo was important to me. And those calibures are typically available. 6.5cm is really the new 308 in a way.

Tikka with a SWFA, Maven or NightForce scope, with UM rings and your really ahead of the game. You will thank us all in about 5 years for this info. It took me 2 seasons of issues and loads of $$$ and frustration leading to research here to settle with Tikka, UM and NF as a solid platform.

Last edited:

The only issue that I see with that list is that the decent hunting scopes from SWFA are all out of stock and have been for a couple of years with no indication on when they will com back in stock.

There are still some good optics options that will keep you sub $2000 with the Tikka and Sportsmatch rings.

The only issue that I see with that list is that the decent hunting scopes from SWFA are all out of stock and have been for a couple of years with no indication on when they will com back in stock.

There are still some good optics options that will keep you sub $2000 with the Tikka and Sportsmatch rings.
The fixed 10x is in stock in both MIL and MOA, and many guys on here give it rave reviews as an extremely functional hunting scope. It's a SWFA, so you know it holds its zero and tracks as good as any scope out there for hunting. There are some better options from Maven and NF, but as a budget-conscious guy myself, function is the top priority for me.

I like all .284s, but the range OP will be wanting to kill, dictates which caliber would be best. A 140 gr bullet with a MV of 3000 fps from a 7mm-08 will be moving 56 fps faster at 300 yards, than the same bullet fired from a 7mm Rem Mag w a MV of 3300 would be moving at 500 yards. And at 400 yards, the 7mm-08 fired bullet would be going 53 fps faster than the 7mm mag at 600 yards. So if the 7mm mag is considered acceptable at 600 yards, but the OP has no intention of shooting past 400, then a 7mm-08 would do the trick, with less recoil, less weight, and a shorter barrel.

I would go 6 CM, 6.5 CM, or 308. All of these are capable of taking big bull elk way past 500 yards.

I own all three plus a 6.5 PRC and 280 AI. I was big into magnums and owned 300 rum, 325wsm, 300 wsm, 300 wby, a few 7mm RMs etc. i will never own another magnum cartridge. They just aren’t necessary. You will be much better off shooting a cartridge with less recoil.