First Western Rifle

TaperPin

WKR
The fixed 10x is in stock in both MIL and MOA, and many guys on here give it rave reviews as an extremely functional hunting scope. It's a SWFA, so you know it holds its zero and tracks as good as any scope out there for hunting. There are some better options from Maven and NF, but as a budget-conscious guy myself, function is the top priority for me.
That’s a very functional magnification - good suggestion. I had a hunting buddy that couldn’t get excited by a fixed scope, but he left a well used 3x9 turned to 9x for years at a time. I’m pretty happy with 8x as a general purpose big game scope, and have always liked 12x for coyotes - a 10x covers an awful lot of hunting situations outside of short range timber.

The loaner 243 that gets a lot of use in our family has always been just fine for antelope/deer with a 6x, but a little hard to see smaller varmints with it, so it might get a 10x this year.

MtnW

WKR
The hype with the 6.5 CM is finally fading. The 7MAG, any of the 300 MAG’s are top choices when elk are being hunted. If you are recoil sensitive the 7MM/08 or .270 WIN are okay choices.

MtnW

WKR
Its actually not. Thats why the vast majority of rifles in production right now are still being chambered in 6.5 creedmoor.
Actually the decline in 6.5CM sales started 18 months ago. Just now catching up with the uninformed. Much better elk cartridges available . The old school 300 Mags, old school 7 Mags, or if you have to have new 7 & 300 PRC.

MtnW

WKR
Browning and Weatherby rep said decline in 6.5 CM sales compared to other rounds in last 18 months

Macintosh

WKR
I personally would not want a fixed 10x as an all-purpose rifle even for "the west". It's not that I think I need a variable, it's that I think 10x is enough magnification to be a liability in situations that I think are pretty normal, even in the west...ie heavily timbered hunting in plenty of places across the rockies. The photo Taperpin posted above is flipping gorgeous...but much of the mountains in colorado, washington, oregon, idaho, montana, etc arent nearly that open. On a budget and with a self-imposed limit of 350 or 400 yards, I'd choose a basic 3-9x scope with capped turrets long before I would choose a fixed 10x--there are a handful of good options in 3-9x or similar that are around or well under $500 (the Trijicon huron 3-9 being one option I am familiar with). If you end up leaving it on 6x or 8x a bunch of the time, who cares...because the next unit you draw might have you creeping through dark timber and looking at shot opportunities at 30 yards or less. Yes, a 10x will do that, but a 3x will do it better.

I personally would not want a fixed 10x as an all-purpose rifle even for "the west". It's not that I think I need a variable, it's that I think 10x is enough magnification to be a liability in situations that I think are pretty normal, even in the west...ie heavily timbered hunting in plenty of places across the rockies. The photo Taperpin posted above is flipping gorgeous...but much of the mountains in colorado, washington, oregon, idaho, montana, etc arent nearly that open. On a budget and with a self-imposed limit of 350 or 400 yards, I'd choose a basic 3-9x scope with capped turrets long before I would choose a fixed 10x--there are a handful of good options in 3-9x or similar that are around or well under $500 (the Trijicon huron 3-9 being one option I am familiar with). If you end up leaving it on 6x or 8x a bunch of the time, who cares...because the next unit you draw might have you creeping through dark timber and looking at shot opportunities at 30 yards or less. Yes, a 10x will do that, but a 3x will do it better.
The conversations around the fixed 10x and why its a good choice for Western hunting stem from the fact the eye box on a fixed 10x is much larger than a variable cranked to 10x. The eyebox and restricted FOV in a fixed 10x are what concerned me, but from what Form and others have said, the fixed 10x works well in most hunting situations.

Macintosh

WKR
Could be, I wouldnt know. Regardless, to me even 4 or 6x is more than I want a lot of the time, so I personally dont think even a 10x with a wider than normal fov is going to be acceptable to me. It may have something to do with where and how you hunt, how well the rifle/rings are set up, etc, but even given this would not be on my short list for a “only rifle” thats expected to be at home anywhere.

WPFY543

FNG
As far as the rifle selection goes, I will share my experience. As you will see on this forum, the Tikka T3X is a favorite. They all shoot out of the box, the trigger is good, and they are fairly lightweight. They are also popular because of the amount of customization that you can do to them with third party products. I started with a T3X but caught the bug to customize with a new stock, threaded barrel, bottom metal, etc. By the time you start making all of these changes, the costs really add up and you will be well beyond your $2k budget. If you want to put a nice scope on it and shoot it how it sits, it is tough to beat a Tikka. I still have mine and enjoy shooting it (and also want to rebarrel it!).

I eventually realized that I was spending more time tinkering with the rifle to make all the components work together and shoot as accurately as it did out of the box. It is easy and fun to do, but it was taking time away from actually shooting. I now have 2 Seekins PH2s and find them to be the best bang for the buck for a rifle off the shelf. Most guys think they look cool, they have great barrels, and Seekins customer support is second to none if you need it. I have only had one issue with a trigger that fell apart and it was as simple as an email, a prepaid label that they sent me, and it was back to my door in a week with an upgraded trigger. For me it has been nice to outsource my tinkering to an expert and spend more time shooting. I have way less money into both of my PH2s and they are my most accurate rifles without getting into full custom territory. Can't go wrong with either option.

MtnW

WKR
The conversations around the fixed 10x and why its a good choice for Western hunting stem from the fact the eye box on a fixed 10x is much larger than a variable cranked to 10x. The eyebox and restricted FOV in a fixed 10x are what concerned me, but from what Form and others have said, the fixed 10x works well in most hunting situations.
I go by my past experiences . Not by telling someone your experiences through what others tell you. Half of the bull elk I have killed have been from 10-100 yds the other half 300-500 yds. , many close to legal shooting time with low light. Sure didn’t want a fixed 10X at those short distances or 10X at low light at longer distances . My elk rifles have 1.7-10X42MM, 1.5-6X42MM, 3-10X50, 3-10X40 or 3-9X36. The last thing I want is a bugling bull elk running in on me at less than 10-15 yards with a fixed 10x scope. To each their own,

I go by my past experiences . Not by telling someone your experiences through what others tell you. Half of the bull elk I have killed have been from 10-100 yds the other half 300-500 yds. , many close to legal shooting time with low light. Sure didn’t want a fixed 10X at those short distances or 10X at low light at longer distances . My elk rifles have 1.7-10X42MM, 1.5-6X42MM, 3-10X50, 3-10X40 or 3-9X36. The last thing I want is a bugling bull elk running in on me at less than 10-15 yards with a fixed 10x scope. To each their own,
I've killed a pile of deer and one elk with riflescopes. I don't recall any of them being at lowest or highest magnification, rather somewhere in the middle.

I recommended the SWFA because it is affordable, reliable, and available. I have a 6x and a 3-15 and both are great for my needs, but unavailable right now. A SWFA 10x is a worthy compromise, especially if the OP doesn't have a lot of time before his hunt.

@Formidilosus does all of the Rokslide scope reviews, and knows more about most things Western hunting, shooting, and optics related than me and the vast majority of dudes on the site. If he says the 10x, while not ideal, will work in most hunting situations, than I'd say go for it. If the OP has the time and funds to get a variable Maven or NF, even better.

Based on what your stating and wanting to spend around $ 2000 on a rifle , not including scope. I'd recommend what I recently purchased for basically the same reasons you are looking for.

Seekins Havak Ph2 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Accurate, cheap to shoot, find ammo anywhere, lower recoil, and can easier take anything where I live (Idaho)
Concur, but I went heavy. 300wm. Still shoots great, with very tolerable felt recoil. Great production rifle, and shoots good too!

ph2-rth.jpg

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Have you read the 223 thread?

Follow the process and don’t be in a hurry to make a bad decision.

Bullets matter. Hit rates matter. Delivery systems matter. Becoming a competent rifleman matters.

Do your due diligence, enjoy the journey and realize the simplicity of a complete system.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Well I'm sure this isn't the first "help a noob pick his caliber" thread, but here goes.

I've started looking at setting up a "do it all" western rifle. Elk, Muleys, antelope etc.
I can't picture myself ever shooting further than 500 yards.
I'd like to stay under $2000 on the base rifle.

Edit after some feedback:
6.5 PRC, 7 REM MAG, & 300 WSM are the main 3 I'm looking at so far.

If all you want to do is check your zero every year by shooting 3 or 4 rounds then it doesn’t matter which one you go with they all will do the job. If you are wanting to shoot more and develop
your skills then I would go with the 6.5PRC it’s a great cartridge and you can shoot it a lot more than the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnW

WKR
I've killed a pile of deer and one elk with riflescopes. I don't recall any of them being at lowest or highest magnification, rather somewhere in the middle.

I recommended the SWFA because it is affordable, reliable, and available. I have a 6x and a 3-15 and both are great for my needs, but unavailable right now. A SWFA 10x is a worthy compromise, especially if the OP doesn't have a lot of time before his hunt.

@Formidilosus does all of the Rokslide scope reviews, and knows more about most things Western hunting, shooting, and optics related than me and the vast majority of dudes on the site. If he says the 10x, while not ideal, will work in most hunting situations, than I'd say go for it. If the OP has the time and funds to get a variable Maven or NF, even better.

JJelkNewbie
Don’t know if I would be giving advice on a elk hunting rifle scope if I had only killed ONE elk. Even your name is “ elkNewbie”. Just sayin.
MtnW

eric1115

WKR
The hype with the 6.5 CM is finally fading. The 7MAG, any of the 300 MAG’s are top choices when elk are being hunted. If you are recoil sensitive the 7MM/08 or .270 WIN are okay choices.

Can you expand on this statement? Have you seen 6.5CM's used (correctly) and deliver unsatisfactory results?

I'm using 108 ELDM and 77 TMK for deer, elk, and would happily shoot a goat or moose with them as well. They do heaps of damage, reliably penetrate through the vitals, and kill at least as effectively as any bonded/mono/tough bullet out of a 7mm-08 or .270 or .308 or 7mm RM (and I've used a bunch of these and seen a lot more).