First Time Western Hunter: Advice Needed.

Hello,

In the next couple years I have some western hunts planned (Wyomming Pronghorn/Mule Deer, Colorado Elk, Montana Mule, etc.

I've been a long time PA Whitetail hunter and rarely need Binos... and never have hunted out west, and don't know what I don't know.

I am already set on buying a nice spotter (Swaro ATX 85mm), but not sure on what to look for in regards to Binos.

I can get a nice deal on Sig Zulu 9 binos (11x or 15x). Which would be your primary purchase for use with a 85mm spotter

Option 1. 11x (handhold and tripod use)

Option 2. 15x (primary on a tripod, and only use the spotter for big country, or picking apart points).

I am naturally drawn to the 11x as they would be more versatile, but the 15x are tempting as my hunting partner has no interest in buying more glass (he has a decent pair of 10x)... my thought is buying the 15x and letting him glass with those, while I use the tripod.

10 to 12 power are the standard go to. Many also use them on a tripod. If you will be carrying the spotter, you do not need anything more than this combo, other than a rangefinder. If you do not already own a rangefinder, I suggest the Sig ranging binos.

I hope you are talking to Doug about your new purchases.

I’m in the same boat as you, I decided to spend more on the binos and less on the spotter as binos will be used far more. I bought swaro slc 10x42 and a used vortex razor had 65mm spotter. All in between the two I’m $1800 and I don’t feel like I’ve sacrificed much if any at all. Also consider the style hunting you’ll be doing, the 85mm spotters weight quite a bit more than the 65mm.

I am a PA hunter who was once in the same shoes as you. I would opt for the 11x binoculars as they will be a versatile investment. Spotting scopes are great too however they cannot be used everywhere due to terrain, etc. You maybe surprised how often your spotter does not come out. Granted this all depends on where and what you are hunting. Jmho.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

PHo

WKR
I would recommend you spend more money on top tier binos before thinking about dropping $4k+ on a spotter. Are you going to be judging trophy size? If you’re not then truthfully you may not even need a spotter. A really good pair of 10x42’s on a tripod is absolutely DEADLY.

Good 10’s or 12’s is what you’ll use 95% of the time. If you need to verify a legal animal if there’s point restrictions I can see using it or in a crazy limited draw unit and looking for a giant, but I’ve brought my spotter out west the last 3 years and never used it because I’m happy with any branched antler bull. Maybe redirect some of those funds and get the absolute best binos you can and get a Kowa 77 which is outstanding and can be had for 1/2 the cost of 85 atx. As stated above 10’s or 12’s on a tripod are incredible

Brooks

WKR
10x42 binos will work especially on a tripod. You will see elk a long ways away. If you’re after just any elk that’s all you need if you are wanting to really see what your looking at from a distance you will need the spotter. I carry 12x50 EL’s and when glassing for elk across a big canyon I still need my spotter to really get a good look and make a decision if he’s what I’m looking for. I also guide elk hunters and when a client is looking for a trophy only I really need a spotter. One thing I have found over the years is that high end optics like Swarovski, Leica etc. really hold their value and if you take care of them they resell for almost what you originally paid for them.

Attachments

• 156E3BC2-2784-4BC0-B8B6-ACBA71E1F4B2.jpeg
    156E3BC2-2784-4BC0-B8B6-ACBA71E1F4B2.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 4D1E9B69-CE19-4994-9A1B-F5712199928F.jpeg
    4D1E9B69-CE19-4994-9A1B-F5712199928F.jpeg
    510.7 KB · Views: 18
OP
D
Thank you everyone for the replies, sounds like 11x is the way to go.

In regards to expensive spotter vs better Binos: I was looking at a KOWA 88, but decided on the ATX 85 as I'll be using it a lot back East (long range shooting, digiscoping, and the modularity of the ATX was attractive). I rarely use Binos in PA.

I appreciate all the responses. I ended up buying the Zulu 9 11x for $816 brand new (including shipping/tax). That's 35% off the asking price...

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the replies, sounds like 11x is the way to go.

In regards to expensive spotter vs better Binos: I was looking at a KOWA 88, but decided on the ATX 85 as I'll be using it a lot back East (long range shooting, digiscoping, and the modularity of the ATX was attractive). I rarely use Binos in PA.

I appreciate all the responses. I ended up buying the Zulu 9 11x for $816 brand new (including shipping/tax). That's 35% off the asking price...
I have the 88 and it’s awesome, you can swap the eye piece between the 77&88 so it does the same as the ATX system just less objective lenses to choose from. You could get the 77&88 and eyepiece for what the atx 85 would be I think. I really like the atx 85 as well I just couldn’t get myself to spend the extra after having them side by side for a couple days. I also use the spotter on the east coast shooting, digiscoping and scouting, I hunt a lot of salt marsh islands and a good spotter makes a world of difference. Not familiar with those binos but with the ATX and Kowa I don’t think there’s better spotters on the market

LaHunter

WKR
I would recommend you spend more money on top tier binos before thinking about dropping $4k+ on a spotter. Are you going to be judging trophy size? If you’re not then truthfully you may not even need a spotter. A really good pair of 10x42’s on a tripod is absolutely DEADLY.
Good advise here. Binos before a spotter. If you are prepared to spend $4k+ on a spotter, then I am guessing you would be good with spending $1500-$2000 on alpha glass binos. You will use your binos way more than your spotter. If you are a rifle hunter, you will most likely use your binos more than any other gear you have, other than your boots and pack. 10x42 are the 'standard' for the vast majority of western hunters.