First time Elk, Sawtooth Drop Camp, First Week Rifle, Pack Dilema

First off, I want to thank everyone who posts on this site! I recently found it and there is so much helpful information! So, to my question, I will give a little background. I am an east coast gun hunter (used to live in the Tetons though) headed to one of the most extreme elk hunts in October. The decisions on needed gear is a bit overwhelming between boots, packs, glass, etc. but I wanted to naill down my boots and pack now so I can start training with them! I know odds of killing an elk are not in my favor but I still need the ability to haul meat if we fill a tag. I also want to have a comfortable day pack to wear hunting every day (my lungs, feet and legs are going to hurt enough). I am looking at the MR Pintler, Badlands 2200, and Eberlestock X2. These all seem to fit the hybrid daypack/hauler description. I gather the MR is going to be the most comfortable and haul meat the best. The 2200 is the cheapest, I like the simplicity and I will probably use it more on future hunts. The Eberlestock X2 is the lightest but can be added to easily. 2019 version of the Pintler is $332, BL 2200 is $189, and the Eberlstock is $250. 2020 versions are $450, $375 and $250 respectively. I am leaning toward the Pintler or Bandlands. I know the Pintler is going to be the better meat hauler. So my questions are: is the Pintler going to be noticably more comfortable as a day pack? Any other thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!

Rob5589

WKR
Being an Exo fan, I'd look at the new 1800 or used 2000. Either will probably be more $$ than the others you mentioned, however. I have the K2 3500 and it can easily be used as a day pack. Plus it gives you the option if you plan on longer trips. Also something to consider.

syoungs

FNG
I hated the badlands 2200, haven't had any experience with the others.
I ended up buying a horn hunter full curl system, and use it with the daypack bag. it has been my go to pack for years now, and is bombproof. It fits right in line price wise with what your looking at.

This year I am upgrading packs to get a better fit, only because I want a taller frame. I'm 6'4 and wear my belt lower then most.

The MR is the only one on your list I would recommend. Take a look at stone glacier, exo and kifaru as well. I use my sg all the time in pa, its technically "overkill" but there's really no harm in that.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR
Not trying to knock Badlands here but I've had a 2200 and a 4500, had zippers bust on both of them. I also had the waist belt buckle break on my 4500. Aside from that the 4500 was pretty comfy with a load in it. Most loads were 40 to 50 pounds. With the occasional 100 pounder bringing animals and a camp out.
Get your post count up so you can access the classifieds, some damn good deals in there at times.

Of those 3 I'd go with the Pintler. My buddy has one but ran his Metcalf on day hunts.
Dont worry about running a larger pack than you need for the day. They all cinch down tight. I ran an EXO K3 4800 everyday of our hunt last season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the mystery ranch terraframe 50. Its very close in design to the pintler but is $100 cheaper and still has a load shelf for hauling meat. Ive seen them on sale at non-hunting stores which would put it closer to the other 2 options for price.

bdg848

WKR
I've seen ads online for the old (non 2020 version) mystery ranch terraframe 80 for $280. I know its not a day pack but you could sinch down the extra you don't need and if you ever do end up doing a week long trip you would be set and not have to buy anything extra.

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
First off, I want to thank everyone who posts on this site! I recently found it and there is so much helpful information! So, to my question, I will give a little background. I am an east coast gun hunter (used to live in the Tetons though) headed to one of the most extreme elk hunts in October. The decisions on needed gear is a bit overwhelming between boots, packs, glass, etc. but I wanted to naill down my boots and pack now so I can start training with them! I know odds of killing an elk are not in my favor but I still need the ability to haul meat if we fill a tag. I also want to have a comfortable day pack to wear hunting every day (my lungs, feet and legs are going to hurt enough). I am looking at the MR Pintler, Badlands 2200, and Eberlestock X2. These all seem to fit the hybrid daypack/hauler description. I gather the MR is going to be the most comfortable and haul meat the best. The 2200 is the cheapest, I like the simplicity and I will probably use it more on future hunts. The Eberlestock X2 is the lightest but can be added to easily. 2019 version of the Pintler is $332, BL 2200 is $189, and the Eberlstock is $250. 2020 versions are $450, $375 and $250 respectively. I am leaning toward the Pintler or Bandlands. I know the Pintler is going to be the better meat hauler. So my questions are: is the Pintler going to be noticably more comfortable as a day pack? Any other thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you!
my suggestion based on experience and based on what you have written above , look at the kifaru , stryker . Watch the video . That pick will fill all your needs. And keep you compfortable hiking in and out . And give you the security of knowing your gear will come in and out .

OP
S
Thank you all for the quick replies!
People either love or hate the Badlands. The price is attractive and warranty solid but don't want to have equipment fail while hunting.

Check out the mystery ranch terraframe 50. Its very close in design to the pintler but is $100 cheaper and still has a load shelf for hauling meat. Ive seen them on sale at non-hunting stores which would put it closer to the other 2 options for price.

Great, another option! Looks like a similar pack to the Pintler with more volume. I will look at the Stone Glacier packs too.

Thanks again for the input!

87TT

WKR
The only people I have seen that love the Badlands packs probably haven't tried the better ones. I love my EXO K2 3500. Cinches down small and great for day hunts but has the option for more. And as for meat hauling, can't compare. I am 67 years old and packed out last years elk by myself. Customer service is one of the best ever.

I’d vote for the MR Pintler as well. If you buy through a Rokslide Sponsor like Black Ovis for example, you can take another 10% off and the 2019 Pintler would be $299. Coupon Code is: ROKSLIDE10

Good luck!

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the quick replies!
People either love or hate the Badlands. The price is attractive and warranty solid but don't want to have equipment fail while hunting.

Great, another option! Looks like a similar pack to the Pintler with more volume. I will look at the Stone Glacier packs too.

Thanks again for the input!
I used to think warrantys were important too , and they are. BUT>>>> look at it this way , I could sell you a Ziploc baggy and warranty it for life. yes the warranty covers the piece, but, warranty wont help you 5 miles back with a broken buckle, zipper, . I was a big kuiu fan and still am. but I just got my kifaru , and WOW , what a difference . built like a tank . I have zero concerns. I got the 44 mag , but for what youre talking , I think stryker. Call and talk wit them , they have great customer service, 100 percent all American parts , down to the needles and the thread . and family business that supports our military. In fact, the military is a HUGE buyer of kifaru packs.

ridgefire

WKR
I have had Badlands and Eberlestock and the Eberle was much better built. I bought a few different packs before I bought a Kifaru and I wish I would have spent the money on the Kifaru right out of the gates. I would look for a used Timberline 2 or something similar in the classifieds if I were you.

Marble

WKR
I love my badlands packs, for day use, and not meat hauling. They are my go to packs for simple trips. All my buddies who have gotten one have loved them.

But they are not for packing meat. And the 2200 is way too small for packing Elk IMO.

Look to the higher end packs. I'm a fan of Kifaru, but that's me.

Slumberjack is a good option as well, I have the bounty 2.0 and have been thoroughly impressed with it. Have tried other higher end frames but wasn't impressed enough to make the switch. Have also tried other packs in a similar price range that were torture just with camp in them let alone loaded with meat. I take a lot of pack reviews with a grain of salt because a "heavy load" is so subjective, I've had the bounty loaded with stupid weight though and it never had any issues...I sure did but not the pack or frame lol. As mentioned I would say the badlands are probably better suited for day hunts, an eberlestock will get your meat out but you might be hurting the whole way and for a week after. Out of those 3 I would definitely go the MR route but if you haven't already I would look into the slumberjack 2.0, if you ever need more room in it for more extended trips slap a kifaru lid on it and you're set.

RG_Hunt

FNG
I’ve owned all 3 brands, the 2200 is a good day pack but is small. I hated the Eberlestock, it was the most uncomfortable pack. I run a mystery ranch metcalf now and it’s comfortable, bulletproof and light. It can hold a 5 day pack trip and zips into a day pack. I was torn between that and an exo. Exo has a way more user friendly meat shelf but for double the price the MR was worth it.

jaredg

Lil-Rokslider
I own several Badlands (inc 2200) and a MR Pintler & Cabinet. Of the two brands, MR by far the most comfortable. I've been giving the Badlands packs away

I love my Badlands packs as a daypack. We hunt elk out of a basecamp so a lot of times I run my Badlands 2200 as a daypack and keep a frame hauler at camp. It does not even compare to my Kifaru pack, but the price doesnt either.

Nickb_00

Lil-Rokslider
I have to agree with everyone on badlands! I have had the 2200 and did haul one mule deer out with it and I can tell you it was the last one! Now dont get me wrong they are great for scouting, setting trail cameras etc. Hauling meat and gear not so much! I made the switch to kifaru and wish I would have bit the bullet along time ago! Now exo and stone glacier are also great packs. My buddy ran exo for a time but he has since bought a kifaru after seeing how universal they can be. There are a bunch used packs and frames on the classifieds right now. The nice thing about exo and kifaru is they hold value well. If you find you dont like one they can be sold for pretty much what you paid for it. If your budget for a pack is around 300 I strongly recommend trying to add a little to that. Buy once cry once!