First Suppressor - recommendations

OP
P
OCL Hydrogen s or DD Enticer sti are solid choices. I would sign up for in stock alerts for a few different ones in that tier and buy whichever comes into stock first. The sorta standard advice is to get a .30 cal for your first, but if you are never going to shoot .30 cal, or are OK with buying a new can if you do, you will get better sound reduction from 6.5 can, though there is debate on how noticeable that is in the real world.

Add a good rimfire can to your first order as well. Mine get used the most.

I have an OCL Hydrogen L .30 cal and a Hydrogen S 6.5 that is being sent to my dealer now, along with a couple others. The hydrogen sounds great on my rar 556 and the build quality is solid.

Personally, I would stay away from the all in one cans as your first. Get something that is the best match for your hunting use case and the expand from there, because it is hard to just buy
OCL Hydrogen s or DD Enticer sti are solid choices. I would sign up for in stock alerts for a few different ones in that tier and buy whichever comes into stock first. The sorta standard advice is to get a .30 cal for your first, but if you are never going to shoot .30 cal, or are OK with buying a new can if you do, you will get better sound reduction from 6.5 can, though there is debate on how noticeable that is in the real world.

Add a good rimfire can to your first order as well. Mine get used the most.

I have an OCL Hydrogen L .30 cal and a Hydrogen S 6.5 that is being sent to my dealer now, along with a couple others. The hydrogen sounds great on my rar 556 and the build quality is solid.

Personally, I would stay away from the all in one cans as your first. Get something that is the best match for your hunting use case and the expand from there, because it is hard to just buy one.
good insight. I’m very tempted to add one for sure. I think I plan to go with something directly for the application. As much as it would be nice to flex, I want to max out the can for what it is.

RMM

WKR
I'm on the fence between ScytheTi and the Omega 36m, really want the lighter one but guy at the shop said the Ti ones aren't recommended for rapid fire and I really want one I can throw on the AR to dump mags once in a while...
The guy I bought mine from said he was invited to the release for the scythe out in UT. They told him as long as you keep the can under 900 degress, you wont have any problems.

Bigwilly556

Lil-Rokslider
You can never go wrong with a TBAC. I have an ultra 5, silencerco 36M and just had two Scythe ti approved today. I haven't had a chance to shoot the Scythe yet. If you can find a good deal on them I believe they're a great value. I purchased the 36M for a specific reason (350 legend) but I've shot it on a 308 bolt and 223 gas guns and it's quite impressive for an all around can. If versatility is your goal it's an excellent option but fairly heavy and I've only run it in the short configuration. Check out the Scythe thread several reviews and I'll be posting a review when I have an opportunity.

OP
P
You can never go wrong with a TBAC. I have an ultra 5, silencerco 36M and just had two Scythe ti approved today. I haven't had a chance to shoot the Scythe yet. If you can find a good deal on them I believe they're a great value. I purchased the 36M for a specific reason (350 legend) but I've shot it on a 308 bolt and 223 gas guns and it's quite impressive for an all around can. If versatility is your goal it's an excellent option but fairly heavy and I've only run it in the short configuration. Check out the Scythe thread several reviews and I'll be posting a review when I have an opportunity.
I’m very tempted to go the TBAC Ultra 9 QD, but am concerned about the length on the 24” barrel. Also hearing that QD can be less accurate makes me slightly nervous.

Any experience with that length? Being that I’ve never pitched a can before, idk how often they come back in stock. Just about everything is sold out outside of the 9” QD and Banish series.

Bigwilly556

Lil-Rokslider
I’m very tempted to go the TBAC Ultra 9 QD, but am concerned about the length on the 24” barrel. Also hearing that QD can be less accurate makes me slightly nervous.

Any experience with that length? Being that I’ve never pitched a can before, idk how often they come back in stock. Just about everything is sold out outside of the 9” QD and Banish series.
I personally like short barrels and short cans. I also dont care to have the quietest can. I want to take the edge off and not knock my fillings out with a break.Tbac makes some of if not the best suppressors on the market for precision rifles IMO. I run the area 419 suppressor mount system "QD" if you will. They have a tapper mount with the adapters being $40 each you can have one on every rifle and move the can around. I have no POI taking them on and off but mileage may vary.

The ultra 9 is a great can that's 9 inches +- long. I personally wouldn't want to lug that around even though it's lightweight. My 36M is over 7 inches (long configuration) and no matter what weight it is I wouldn't want that length added to my 16.5" 350 legend. I looked hard at the new Tbac magnus K RR but didn't want to wait. I haven't shot my two Scythe's yet but I'm hearing they compare to an ultra 7 which was avaliable and I almost purchased. I believe the Scythe is going to be hard to beat if you can get one for a good price like I did. Tape a paper towel tube to the end of your barrel and ask yourself if you can deal with that much length. I would personally steer clear of banish, order/backorder (tranfer if need be) what you really want and unfortunately the wait begins. Again these are my opinions and the needs and wants of others may be different.

OP
P
I personally like short barrels and short cans. I also dont care to have the quietest can. I want to take the edge off and not knock my fillings out with a break.Tbac makes some of if not the best suppressors on the market for precision rifles IMO. I run the area 419 suppressor mount system "QD" if you will. They have a tapper mount with the adapters being $40 each you can have one on every rifle and move the can around. I have no POI taking them on and off but mileage may vary.

The ultra 9 is a great can that's 9 inches +- long. I personally wouldn't want to lug that around even though it's lightweight. My 36M is over 7 inches (long configuration) and no matter what weight it is I wouldn't want that length added to my 16.5" 350 legend. I looked hard at the new Tbac magnus K RR but didn't want to wait. I haven't shot my two Scythe's yet but I'm hearing they compare to an ultra 7 which was avaliable and I almost purchased. I believe the Scythe is going to be hard to beat if you can get one for a good price like I did. Tape a paper towel tube to the end of your barrel and ask yourself if you can deal with that much length. I would personally steer clear of banish, order/backorder (tranfer if need be) what you really want and unfortunately the wait begins. Again these are my opinions and the needs and wants of others may be different.
That’s good insight. I will probably need to take a tube on and tote it around to see if it’s manageable. Impatience is part of it, but for this level of purchase I should probably control my impulse ha. I toyed with the idea of getting the barrel cut down but that presents its own set of challenges. 33” barrel with the can just seems like such a daunting length, but I guess I won’t know until I see it.

That’s good insight. I will probably need to take a tube on and tote it around to see if it’s manageable. Impatience is part of it, but for this level of purchase I should probably control my impulse ha. I toyed with the idea of getting the barrel cut down but that presents its own set of challenges. 33” barrel with the can just seems like such a daunting length, but I guess I won’t know until I see it.

You said carbon barrel, probably not going to want to cut that down.

I was looking pretty hard at the TBAC Ultra 7 myself. Then I saw the Scythe and decided to go with it. I haven't had the chance to shoot the Ultra 7 anywhere, but the Scythe is great. its my 5th or 6th and for your purposes I would say it would work great. I bought a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 to pair it with. Cut the Hunter down to 16' barrel. Removed barrel weighs 5.3 oz. The can with Hansohn bros cap and OCL mount weighs 8.3 oz. Total length of the rifle with can is slightly shorter than factory. Total weight of the Kimber with a Swaro Z3 3.5-10 is 6# 9 oz.

I am really happy with the balance of the rifle as it is now. Can makes the rifles much more pleasant to shoot. Report from the shooters position is totally acceptable without muffs. Even to the side when others shot it, it wasn't too bad. Like a hammer moderately hitting steel plate.

Side by side with another kimber hunter in 6.5, the rifle with the Scythe was much more mild mannered in recoil. The non-suppressed rifle had a lot of movement, the suppressed rifle stayed much more steady. It was a bit much recoil still for a small framed 12 year old that shot it, but he was standing without any support and the stock was too long for him. So not great conditions for him, but he did kill what he was aiming at.

OP
P
I was looking pretty hard at the TBAC Ultra 7 myself. Then I saw the Scythe and decided to go with it. I haven't had the chance to shoot the Ultra 7 anywhere, but the Scythe is great. its my 5th or 6th and for your purposes I would say it would work great. I bought a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 to pair it with. Cut the Hunter down to 16' barrel. Removed barrel weighs 5.3 oz. The can with Hansohn bros cap and OCL mount weighs 8.3 oz. Total length of the rifle with can is slightly shorter than factory. Total weight of the Kimber with a Swaro Z3 3.5-10 is 6# 9 oz.

I am really happy with the balance of the rifle as it is now. Can makes the rifles much more pleasant to shoot. Report from the shooters position is totally acceptable without muffs. Even to the side when others shot it, it wasn't too bad. Like a hammer moderately hitting steel plate.

Side by side with another kimber hunter in 6.5, the rifle with the Scythe was much more mild mannered in recoil. The non-suppressed rifle had a lot of movement, the suppressed rifle stayed much more steady. It was a bit much recoil still for a small framed 12 year old that shot it, but he was standing without any support and the stock was too long for him. So not great conditions for him, but he did kill what he was aiming at.
I really wish the Scythe wasn’t sold out everywhere. Seems like a great can, but man is it hard to find. Most are tbh, so I guess that’s common.

Ralphie

WKR
I’m not much of a tree stand hunter, I have a few times, but I’m not really understanding why the length is a big deal. Especially if there’s a rest of some kind to shoot off of.

I’m also in the camp of getting a suppressor for max suppression.

I really wish the Scythe wasn’t sold out everywhere. Seems like a great can, but man is it hard to find. Most are tbh, so I guess that’s common.
I ordered mine on backorder from SilencerShop and it was at the dealer in about a week and a half.

OP
P
I ordered mine on backorder from SilencerShop and it was at the dealer in about a week and a half.
Oh interesting! I haven’t been able to get a real idea of potential lead times from anyone. I get it, can’t predict the future, but if I knew it wasn’t going to be 8 months, I’d feel better ha

Timjohnson11

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered the Scythe for my first can after a lot of research on here. The two others I considered were the Raptor 8 and Enticer S-Ti. All seemed to offer a good balance of weight, performance and length.

Had Capitol Armory had the Enticer S-Ti in stock, I probably would have gone that route given the lower price relative to the Scythe and Raptor. It seems like the perfect first can with the lower price point and competitive performance. I ultimately convinced myself the extra $250 wasn’t a deal breaker and ordered the Scythe as it was actually in stock at Capitol Armory.

OP
P
I’m not much of a tree stand hunter, I have a few times, but I’m not really understanding why the length is a big deal. Especially if there’s a rest of some kind to shoot off of.

I’m also in the camp of getting a suppressor for max suppression.
Not the end of the world, but just like the flexibility to be able for it to be maneuverable. I also don’t have a rest in my stand, so that does play a factor. Have to get creative with a bipod.
I ordered the Scythe for my first can after a lot of research on here. The two others I considered were the Raptor 8 and Enticer S-Ti. All seemed to offer a good balance of weight, performance and length.

Had Capitol Armory had the Enticer S-Ti in stock, I probably would have gone that route given the lower price relative to the Scythe and Raptor. It seems like the perfect first can with the lower price point and competitive performance. I ultimately convinced myself the extra $250 wasn’t a deal breaker and ordered the Scythe as it was actually in stock at Capitol Armory.
This is the exact thought process I've gone through.

It doesn’t get talked about nearly as much as many others, the the Enticers grade well, and sound awesome in video. People who have purchased also seem to rave about them. With the 24” barrel, I’m a little iffy about the L, but the S is probably top of my list.

The scythe is so popular and seems awesome. The numbers say the enticers are a little better, but not a world of difference. Also interested in the Q full and half Nelson. I don’t see them mentioned much, but testing looks awesome.

All of which to say, every single one is out of stock everywhere I’ve looked lol.

TheHammer

WKR
Oh goody, another can thread! My local shop has a couple scythes sitting there. Plus the 2 in the back with my name on them. You need to figure out what you want out of a can. I just keep buying them because I hadn’t found the perfect one. The scythe so far is it. The mounting system is crucial in a length conscious purchase. My omega 300 with flush mount caps is under 12oz, performs very very well, due to the mounting system it adds 5.5” to OAL. Some can lengths are advertised as one thing, but utilize an outboard mount, like my tbac ultra 5 and the back country. The back country is only 1/4” shorter than my omega when measuring OAL. And it does a poor job on recoil management in comparison, along with minimal sound reduction in comparison. My quietest can is a griffin sportsman’s 300 ultralight, but it is also over 8” long. I would recommend an omega 300 for anyones first can.

I’m just a dude, and the only one talking about Liberty Precision it seems (not being paid or associated with them). But I’ve been shooting the Mach S a ton the last few weeks and it’s great. It’s worth a look. It’s titanium, a bit under 10oz, and around 7” long with the direct thread). Comparable spec wise to the other great cans (DD, CGS, etc) and Pew Science rates them really well.

Last edited: