First Solo Idaho Hunt

Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum but Im trying to plan out my general rifle OTC deer hunt this year and although I've only been looking at this forum for a couple days this forum looks to have tons of awesome people and experience so I'm excited to hear thoughts.

As the title says this will be my first solo hunt as my father is getting old and I moved away from where we used to hunt (plus I want to explore new territory)

I want some advice on some areas to try. I picked these out because of the seclusion and the IDFG info and the fact its antlered and antlerless (I just really want to take home some meat, not really trying to seek out the big bucks... yet)

The areas are 12, 15, 16, 16A, 17, 19, and 20 I'm an on foot hunter and not afraid of steep and hard hunting.

Let me know your general thoughts or ideas of these areas or any recommendations for someone who wants to hunt some meat.

Thank you!

On an OTC unit you probably wont get much help since the people that have the info you are looking for probably have it because they hunt it often and worked hard to find it and when you put in several years and miles its hard to share with someone you dont know. Personally if youre just after any deer Id hunt further south where the deer numbers are better. That said any info you receive regarding OTC units may not necessarily be true or given with good intentions, reader beware.

On an OTC unit you probably wont get much help since the people that have the info you are looking for probably have it because they hunt it often and worked hard to find it and when you put in several years and miles its hard to share with someone you dont know. Personally if youre just after any deer Id hunt further south where the deer numbers are better. That said any info you receive regarding OTC units may not necessarily be true or given with good intentions, reader beware.

Good points. Also consider the Frank Church. Tons of deer and not popular at all.

OP
F
Yea I kind of figured as much hahaha I've only hunted like 2 areas in my life (still a young hunter) let alone by myself so I just need some pointers and direction, thanks for the responses! They are helping a lot!

Where are you from? Get more involved in the site, share a post after you’ve spent more time researching, and youll get more traction.

OP
F
I used to hunt the very western side of Idaho a couple hours northwest of Boise. Now I moved over to the Idaho Falls side. Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely get more active in my search and share what I find.

I used to hunt the very western side of Idaho a couple hours northwest of Boise. Now I moved over to the Idaho Falls side. Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely get more active in my search and share what I find.

Youre in a good place to start. Find an area close by and scout it a bunch. The closer it is the more you’ll go and the faster you’ll learn it. No need to go up north and see less animals.

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome! Idaho's fish and game site is a great resource. Don't hesitate to give the area wildlife managers a call. They are very helpful from my experience.

Consider yourself lucky that you’re an Idaho resident! You’ve chosen wisely. There’s likely great hunting within an hour or two of where you live. In my experience I’ve learned ten times more info by checking out a random area, as opposed to asking for tips from strangers. You will soon find your own favorite hunting spot and then understand who no one will give up theirs! You’re on the right track bud, just get out there.

Spoonbill

WKR
Why not hunt the units closer to Idaho Falls? There are a ton of OTC units near there. Not trying to be snarky, but I don’t follow your logic of driving past deer hunting areas to go deer hunting.

Welcome! Idaho's fish and game site is a great resource. Don't hesitate to give the area wildlife managers a call. They are very helpful from my experience.

D91EBE1C-6871-4395-B3E5-52B762CC0B7C.jpeg
This is from Idaho Fish and Game and they have many reports like it. Its a harvest report so it shows two things in my opinion where deer are and where people go. The darkest units probably have a lot of deer and a lot of people. The lightest units no deer, no people. Id use this and go to the website and do some more digging to find the diamond in the rough where the harvest is good but not because a lot of people go there.

OP
F
Why not hunt the units closer to Idaho Falls? There are a ton of OTC units near there. Not trying to be snarky, but I don’t follow your logic of driving past deer hunting areas to go deer hunting.

I totally get it. That's crossed my mind many times that's why I started this thread to get this advice and I really appreciate it! I guess I'm just super excited to get out as far as I can go where maybe it's the best idea to start close? All these responses are great and I'm taking loads of notes from them! I'll take another gander at the fish and game website, I thought I was using it well but it looks like I missed out on a lot of tools. Thanks guys!

View attachment 181304
This is from Idaho Fish and Game and they have many reports like it. Its a harvest report so it shows two things in my opinion where deer are and where people go. The darkest units probably have a lot of deer and a lot of people. The lightest units no deer, no people. Id use this and go to the website and do some more digging to find the diamond in the rough where the harvest is good but not because a lot of people go there.

If you're relying on 2017 data, it's a pretty bad year for future reference. This will be heavily influenced by the one-year effects of the 2016-2017 winter. Highly recommended to do your own research--as I'm sure you do Resesarcher--that looks are 3+ years and, for Idaho, considers before and after Snowmagedeon.

If you're relying on 2017 data, it's a pretty bad year for future reference. This will be heavily influenced by the one-year effects of the 2016-2017 winter. Highly recommended to do your own research--as I'm sure you do Resesarcher--that looks are 3+ years and, for Idaho, considers before and after Snowmagedeon.

Yup old data. Just an example of what Idaho puts out and what you can find and some ways on how to use it. I had that picture saved on my phone And it was easy to get.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I would highly recommend starting close and doing weekend scouting trips. Starting in october can be very discouraging because bucks tend to be more nocturnal and have small home ranges with most of their time spent bedded or in timber during daylight hours. If you are able to get out in august and find somewhere with a decent concentration of deer or better yet find a few target animals, you'll have much better resolve when hunting the area in October. Late october can be much different if the weather comes early, find places deer use as migration routes, being there at the right time can be magical!

TripleAAA

FNG
Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum but Im trying to plan out my general rifle OTC deer hunt this year and although I've only been looking at this forum for a couple days this forum looks to have tons of awesome people and experience so I'm excited to hear thoughts.

As the title says this will be my first solo hunt as my father is getting old and I moved away from where we used to hunt (plus I want to explore new territory)

I want some advice on some areas to try. I picked these out because of the seclusion and the IDFG info and the fact its antlered and antlerless (I just really want to take home some meat, not really trying to seek out the big bucks... yet)

The areas are 12, 15, 16, 16A, 17, 19, and 20 I'm an on foot hunter and not afraid of steep and hard hunting.

Let me know your general thoughts or ideas of these areas or any recommendations for someone who wants to hunt some meat.

Thank you!
I moved to Idaho three years ago from Texas and the hunting is quit different. I have hunted Slate Creek up between Riggins and Grangeville. Very steep country but see a ton of whitetail. I am not sure of the zone number. Very steep country.