First ROK Stock Poll

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Question for those talking about the for-end affecting offhand shooting? How do you guys shoot offhand? (Serious question)

I have always wrapped my arm in the sling and pulled it taught with my hand landing practically just in front of my scope.

I've practiced thousands of offhand shots on small game. Being right handed I have my left support hand way further back on the stock than most. On my Tikkas it's all the way back under the magazine. Left elbow into chest or top of left hip, this is how you stabilize. Learn and know your sights if open sights, with scope reticle come down slowly into the target don't try to raise the reticle into the target. It's very awkward at first but once you learn how to stabilize it's quite effective. Open sight Tikka 22-250. 20" barrel, over 2,000 confirmed kills on that rifle. It doesn't look that pretty anymore and is on its second barrel.

squirrel.jpg

I killed two deer last year with offhand shots in the woods with my Tikka .260 and SWFA fixed 6. One at 50 yards and one at 30 yards. One doe ran about 10 yards, leaned up against a tree, went another 30 yards and died. Practicing on small game (preferably) or targets is what leads to these successful off hand kills. Same form/body position as open sights.

deer.jpg

Fowl Play

WKR
I've practiced thousands of offhand shots on small game. Being right handed I have my left support hand way further back on the stock than most. On my Tikkas it's all the way back under the magazine. Left elbow into chest or top of left hip, this is how you stabilize. Learn and know your sights if open sights, with scope reticle come down slowly into the target don't try to raise the reticle into the target. It's very awkward at first but once you learn how to stabilize it's quite effective. Open sight Tikka 22-250. 20" barrel, over 2,000 confirmed kills on that rifle. It doesn't look that pretty anymore and is on its second barrel.
I killed two deer last year with offhand shots in the woods with my Tikka .260 and SWFA fixed 6. One at 50 yards and one at 30 yards. One doe ran about 10 yards, leaned up against a tree, went another 30 yards and died. Practicing on small game (preferably) or targets is what leads to these successful off hand kills. Same form/body position as open sights.

Very nice, I shoot off hand very similar. But first wrap my left arm twice through my sling and then pull my left hand back at tight as I can make it. Left elbow against body, etc. Even more stable for me (but I use a sling).

I was curious how the guys were shooting, who were saying the scalloped fore end would affect their offhand shots. Only way I could see that happening is by grabbing around the very end of the fore end. Which I have seen done when shooting AR's or rifles with much shorter stocks than a typical sporting style stock. For me, I could never grab the end of my hunting rifle stock and remain stable for an offhand shot. Was wondering if some of these guys were 7ft monster men who find that position comfortable and stable, OR if I was missing out on some new fangled way I should be shooting off hand.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Very nice. I was curious how the guys were shooting, who were saying the scalloped fore end would affect their offhand shots. Only way I could see that happening is by grabbing around the very end of the fore end. Which I have seen done when shooting AR's or rifles with much shorter stocks than a typical sporting style stock. For me, I could never grab the end of my hunting rifle stock and remain stable for an offhand shot. Was wondering if some of these guys were 7ft monster men who find that position comfortable and stable, OR if I was missing out on some new fangled way I should be shooting off hand.
Reaching way out has never been effective for me even with AR's and a vertical front grip. I played with several positions practicing for years and found that this left hand position on the stock is what works for me. It's even more comfortable on my Sakos with the flush mount mags. Build a stable hand position way back on the stock, elbow tight into chest or top of hip and stabilize. This one is a brand new Tikka 7SAUM I just built and used for the cold bore challenge. I've gotten used to this stock but the vertical grip is still too fat for my taste, also my short fingers (my palms are longer than my fingers cause I'm a freak) don't help.

g1.jpg

G2.jpg

G3.jpg

Reaching way out has never been effective for me even with AR's and a vertical front grip. I played with several positions practicing for years and found that this left hand position on the stock is what works for me. It's even more comfortable on my Sakos with the flush mount mags. Build a stable hand position way back on the stock, elbow tight into chest or top of hip and stabilize. This one is a brand new Tikka 7SAUM I just built and used for the cold bore challenge. I've gotten used to this stock but the vertical grip is still too fat for my taste, also my short fingers (my palms are longer than my fingers cause I'm a freak) don't help.

View attachment 601086

View attachment 601084

View attachment 601083
This is how I learned to shoot offhand growing up, and with a sling--target style. Works great.

I have a friend that uses a bipod, and he is amazingly fast and accurate with it; so for him it works very well, but he does spend plenty of time practicing so that he is fast and proficent in multiple conditions and angles. I prefer to shoot off my pack, however, if I am going to set up in a spot in which I plan on shooting from, and waiting for an animal, I use a tripod. I practice using both the tripod and the pack, so I remain profecient at both. Both systems work well for those that take the time to be profecient. However, the location of the rail is generally different based on utilization of a bipod or a tripod. Personally, I think people will prefer one over the other. I'm not surprised with the poll results thus far.

OPTION A. I like the idea of B, but just don't see myself using this in a hunting situation. If I could only have one...Option A. But if feasible, it would be neat if both options eventually came to fruition (or one with some combination of characteristics listed as desirable by others).

My overall thoughts on the project continue to be to keep the stock SIMPLE, LIGHTWEIGHT, with good ERGONOMICS and AFFORDABLE. This is asking a lot already, but seems to keep in the spirit of the T3x itself. Anything else is just frosting.

IMHO, any company can make an expensive stock with all the bells and whistles and a long turnaround time to get it in-hand. But can any company make a stock that focuses on the 4 points above (what I think most of us want) with a short turnaround time? Apparently NOT YET, given the amount of feedback here. So I thank @Stockys for doing something which seems quite uncommon these days...LISTENING. I hope Stocky's is successful with this endeavor and that many of us here on Rokslide are happy with the new stock ;) .

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Now we just need an scope manufacture to get with Ryan and form and make us the perfect scope and we’d have a real rokslide special with a tikka action, stockys rok stock, and um tikka rings
A fixed 8x50 30mm tube mil/mil, low profile turrets, good hunting reticle, and clear enough glass for early morning and dusk hunting really shouldn’t be that hard to make. It’s my dream scope for big game hunting.

B is like the Manners pro hunter which is tits. I’d make it like there’s so you can run a Harris style bipod on it too. Also make it longer.

Sandstrom

WKR
I went with standard A.

Am I missing something, are these “other bipods” that much better than a standard Harris sling stud mount? Are they that much lighter or faster to deploy?

I am a fan of lightweight, simple, proven, and reliable.

Ryan

amassi

WKR
I went with standard A.

Am I missing something, are these “other bipods” that much better than a standard Harris sling stud mount? Are they that much lighter or faster to deploy?

Ryan

Quick detach for those of us that don’t carry a bipod to hunt

I went with standard A.

Ryan
Side to side rotation on sling swivel attachments is very prevalent. Arca or pic eliminates that. When I used to use a sling stud attachment I was always retightening.

Seeknelk

WKR
Chose A because I like the spartan "gunsmith adapters" set flush in the stock for most hunting if I have the option to use it.
But B would certainly work also. I also don't love a squared, flat bottomed fore end for carrying in one hand when tracking etc, it just works my hand way more.

atmat

WKR
Very nice, I shoot off hand very similar. But first wrap my left arm twice through my sling and then pull my left hand back at tight as I can make it. Left elbow against body, etc. Even more stable for me (but I use a sling).

I was curious how the guys were shooting, who were saying the scalloped fore end would affect their offhand shots. Only way I could see that happening is by grabbing around the very end of the fore end. Which I have seen done when shooting AR's or rifles with much shorter stocks than a typical sporting style stock. For me, I could never grab the end of my hunting rifle stock and remain stable for an offhand shot. Was wondering if some of these guys were 7ft monster men who find that position comfortable and stable, OR if I was missing out on some new fangled way I should be shooting off hand.
I believe the “offhand comments” weren’t made about the scallop itself so much as the “flat vs rounded bottom” topic that folks mentioned.