First Encounter

Slim77

FNG
Hello all,
FNG here, I'm basically a virgin of the Idaho wilderness. I live in KY, where nothing in the wild can rip you apart, sure we have coyotes, and the occasional meth head, but that's about the extent of "danger" we encounter around here. I'm currently in the process of e-scouting, and training my body for a hunt in Idaho. What limited experience I have in Idaho, is in a Yellowstone Border-ish unit, and Mr Grizz seems to be thriving there, and rightfully so I guess. My question is, did you guys have that oh sh** moment when you saw the first animal that could kill you? Wolf, Bear, Lion, I can't help but think once I see a big predator while hunting, it will be hard to focus on glassing, or putting a stalk on that Muley, rather than going into threat mode, lol.. I still have alot of research to do, but some advice or experiences of your own would be greatly appreciated..

FNG

Hello all,
FNG here, I'm basically a virgin of the Idaho wilderness. I live in KY, where nothing in the wild can rip you apart, sure we have coyotes, and the occasional meth head, but that's about the extent of "danger" we encounter around here. I'm currently in the process of e-scouting, and training my body for a hunt in Idaho. What limited experience I have in Idaho, is in a Yellowstone Border-ish unit, and Mr Grizz seems to be thriving there, and rightfully so I guess. My question is, did you guys have that oh sh** moment when you saw the first animal that could kill you? Wolf, Bear, Lion, I can't help but think once I see a big predator while hunting, it will be hard to focus on glassing, or putting a stalk on that Muley, rather than going into threat mode, lol.. I still have alot of research to do, but some advice or experiences of your own would be greatly appreciated..

FNG
I just ran into 3 grizz up bear hunting. Have a partner or 2 with you. If going through thick stuff make noise. Have weapon or spray quickly accessible, maybe even in hand when going through thick stuff. Making noise in the thick stuff saved me one day.1000008753.jpg

TaperPin

WKR
The biggest worry you will have is yourself. Be bear aware, keep a clean camp, don’t camp on a bear trail, and do what you need to in order to get a good nights sleep.

I sleep much better with a tiny am radio and ear buds for background noise for those nights when the wind gets calm and you can hear footsteps in the leaves all night. Otherwise a light sleeper will be quite sleep deprived quickly. :)

OP
Slim77

Slim77

FNG
I just ran into 3 grizz up bear hunting. Have a partner or 2 with you. If going through thick stuff make noise. Have weapon or spray quickly accessible, maybe even in hand when going through thick stuff. Making noise in the thick stuff saved me one day.View attachment 721408
Thank You,
I will have to train myself to make noise intentionally, and I will definitely have Bear spray and a weapon for a worst case scenario.

That realization moment felt a lot better for me knowing I had a way to defend myself, being with other people helped too. Night time is the worst, every noise sets you on alert. Best thing I ever did is start wearing earplugs to bed. I’d rather die quickly if that’s the case than knowing it’s coming the last 20 seconds.

OP
Slim77

Slim77

FNG
That realization moment felt a lot better for me knowing I had a way to defend myself, being with other people helped too. Night time is the worst, every noise sets you on alert. Best thing I ever did is start wearing earplugs to bed. I’d rather die quickly if that’s the case than knowing it’s coming the last 20 seconds.
I hadn't even considered the night time noises, and not being able to sleep. You are the 2nd person that suggested ear plugs/buds, I will have to seriously consider that. Thank You for the advice!

Hello all,

FNG

I hadn't even considered the night time noises, and not being able to sleep. You are the 2nd person that suggested ear plugs/buds, I will have to seriously consider that. Thank You for the advice!
What will you be sleeping in?

We will be in a 2p tent, as far away from other people as I can get. Just my teenage son and myself
I have also heard of people playing a little radio outside the tent that plays some music not too loud but enough to keep bears away.

OP
Slim77

Slim77

FNG
I have also heard of people playing a little radio outside the tent that plays some music not too loud but enough to keep bears away.
I will definitely do that... I will be the guy that lays there and listens to the woods all night, and feel horrible from lack of sleep. Ear plugs, Radio, and just surrender to the mountain... Now if I can actually pull up my panties and do that, we will be good, lol.

I live in grizzly country, and while the risk is always there, statistically speaking you’re more likely to get hurt driving across the country to start your hunt.

Making noise in the thick and carrying your weapon in hand, clean camp off game trails, etc. is sound advice.

I’ve done the ear plugs thing, but that’s how you get shaken awake by your wife terrified that something is rubbing against your tent. In this story it ending up being a porcupine, but it was not fun nonetheless. Depending on how on edge you are, you could look into a portable bear fence.

Short of not going, there is no sure way to avoid interaction. You’re simply mitigating risks based on your tolerance. You’re going to have to find your own way of getting comfortable around grizzly bears. If you get spooked you can always truck camp and day hunt from there. I’d be prepared for that scenario when you’re packing. You’ll still learn something!

Tbh, I’d be waaaay more worried about the snakes in KY than bears!

OP
Slim77

Slim77

FNG
I live in grizzly country, and while the risk is always there, statistically speaking you’re more likely to get hurt driving across the country to start your hunt.

Making noise in the thick and carrying your weapon in hand, clean camp off game trails, etc. is sound advice.

I’ve done the ear plugs thing, but that’s how you get shaken awake by your wife terrified that something is rubbing against your tent. In this story it ending up being a porcupine, but it was not fun nonetheless. Depending on how on edge you are, you could look into a portable bear fence.

Short of not going, there is no sure way to avoid interaction. You’re simply mitigating risks based on your tolerance. You’re going to have to find your own way of getting comfortable around grizzly bears. If you get spooked you can always truck camp and day hunt from there. I’d be prepared for that scenario when you’re packing. You’ll still learn something!

Tbh, I’d be waaaay more worried about the snakes in KY than bears!
Thank You.
The snakes are definitely thick around here.