First elk hunt

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I set out a year ago to start hunting elk. I’ve researched, bought gear, researched, applied for tags, researched, didn’t draw a tag, researched some more, then decided to do an OTC Colorado hunt. I’ve poured over OnX and google earth over the last few months picking out spots to hunt.

I leave tomorrow for Colorado and I’m staying for a week hunting the third rifle season. Not only will this be my first elk hunt, but I’ll be doing it solo. This has been on my bucket list for so long I can’t remember. The reports coming out of 2nd rifle season were definitely discouraging, but hopefully the weather from this last week will shake something loose. If anyone has any last minute tops or advice, I’m all ears. Hopefully next week this time, I’ll be processing an elk.

Don't be discouraged...I hunted second rifle in CO this year and we saw more elk this year than the past 3 years combined (public land too). The elk are there...just gotta find em!

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Remember it's a journey, not a destination. There will be joy and disappointment. Learn from both and have fun whether you get an elk or not. You will make mistakes. It's part of the process and even seasoned elk hunters make mistakes. It happens. Every lesson will help in future hunts.

You didn't say if you are camping backcountry or not. If so, make sure you have a comm plan for safety, especially since you are hunting alone.

Have fun!

OP
Blackdirt Cowboy

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Not camping backcountry. Gonna camp at the truck in a wall tent. I’m fixing to pull outta the driveway. I’ll be in the mountains in 14 hours!!!

fatlander

WKR
Elk are where you find them, not where you want them to be. If it looked good to you from your desktop it probably looked good to a whole lot of other guys. Don’t get discouraged. Burn boot leather. When you find them, stay with them. Don’t leave fish to find fish. Have fun!

bascott1

WKR
Have fun and hunt hard. Only so many days of hunting elk. Don't come back regretting not hunting as hard as you possibly could have.

Good luck! Don’t be afraid to move if not finding elk. There are lots of OTC units and no need to stay in one area if you are not finding elk.

willy

FNG
good luck. Find the tougher than heck to get into areas as long as you can hack the in and pack out from there. if you find elk go to them, don't wait on them.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a big ribeye steak cook it over a campfire. It just might be the best steak you have ever eaten.

I’ll definitely second this one.

I started this year doing this on all of my camping and hunting trips. First night is steak night. You’ll appreciate the fat and protein to stay warm overnight and on your hunt.

I’ll also add emergency comms. Just because you camp by the truck doesn’t mean you’ll have service.

Bring a snow shovel. It makes it nice for clearing camping spots or digging out from being stuck.
d44884a4f64dfe1d28da478fd43e515c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember that the elk have been pressured for 2 months now. They may be hiding pretty well, sometimes in plain sight. I watched cows in 2nd season that bedded and fed within a 300 yard area. They were secure there though

RIELLY24

FNG
How was the hunt? I did my first DIY elk hunt this year as well in Montana, struck out but I learned a lot.

OP
Blackdirt Cowboy

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Hunt was a lot of fun and frustrating at the same time. I saw a couple elk, but I couldn’t shoot them. Two cows were on private. One was way at the top of a mountain two miles away with absolutely no way to get to him. The country was way more rugged than I expected. It was really, really difficult to get away from the other hunters. The first morning, I hiked 4 1/2 miles in, and found hunters. I sure hope I draw a limited tag next year.