Cow hunt

OXN939

WKR
lol that’s what I’ve heard I don’t know if my bank acct is ready for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A common theme you may notice out of all the myriad of advice in this thread is that an elk hunt as your first western hunt is going to be a lot to process. Everything is so different- regs, terrain, access, topography, logistics if you do fill a tag- that it would be, in a best case scenario, drinking from a fire hose.

You might consider something a little more manageable at first. For example, deer or pronghorn tags are usually cheaper and easier to draw, access is more straightforward, and it's rare that someone gets into a potentially deadly packout situation on one of those.

I’ll be a bit contrarian here.

Do some research. Pick a couple states that are a closer drive. Figure out the draw odds. Next look at success %. Then make sure that high success is not due to outfitter/private land.

Pick a unit. Study the terrain on google earth or whatever mapping tool. Pay close attention to roads and access. Being your first western hunt, you’re going to want to plan plan plan!

Show up and hunt. Prepared or not, there is nothing like actually doing it. Enjoy the process, the sights and sounds of being out west, etc. be mentally prepared and embrace the challenges.

Worst case scenario it’s an awesome vacation/sightseeing adventure. Best case you kill something.

Give yourself an entire week or you will not have time to enjoy the actual hunt and take it all in, and probably will not be successful.

FWIW I am a mule deer guy. I put little to no effort into elk hunting; they are an afterthought at best. I am 2 for 2 on cow elk hunts..they are delicious but nothing compared to the challenge of hunting mule deer.

Someone above mentioned pronghorn: that would 100% be the easiest way to cut your teeth hunting out west and pretty much guarantee seeing/stalking animals. Unlike elk where you might get one chance at success.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Do your research, pick a good unit, be prepared, plan to spend a full week, and enjoy the experience. This year I spent 9 days (two trips) in the backcountry archery hunting elk with my kids. We did not send an arrow the entire trip. I am not 20 yo anymore and I don’t like sleeping on the ground under a teepee in the cold in Griz country. However, I would not have it any other way. Elk meat only lasts 1-2 years in the freezer but the memories and experience last forever. You pay for the experience, a full freezer is a bonus.

Uphills

FNG
Do your research, pick a good unit, be prepared, plan to spend a full week, and enjoy the experience. This year I spent 9 days (two trips) in the backcountry archery hunting elk with my kids. We did not send an arrow the entire trip. I am not 20 yo anymore and I don’t like sleeping on the ground under a teepee in the cold in Griz country. However, I would not have it any other way. Elk meat only lasts 1-2 years in the freezer but the memories and experience last forever. You pay for the experience, a full freezer is a bonus.
Exactly! I’m new to elk hunting and the trips I have taken so far were great experiences with my kids with or without an elk to pack out. Of course it is sweeter when you pack out a heavy pack with them on the last day.

wapitibob

WKR
Get an early season tag, the bulls will tell you right where they are, go shoot one of his cows. You’ll be done in a weekend.