First time Bow Elk

Crawfish

FNG
In my experience here in MT, there are a few things I would mention:

-having another person to help with calling scenarios can pull "stubborn" bulls in and really help

-trek poles have been indispensible for me. while archery hunting, I will usually have my bow in one hand and a single trek pole in the other to help with going over deadfall/slopes

-try to find a pattern of where they are moving from water to bedding during the morning and get in between this area

-practice shooting at further distances/different angles than you will shoot in normal hunting scenarios. This will make shots much easier under pressure and you will be ready for any scenario

2x for practicing shooting for pressure situations

LostArra

WKR
All of the suggestions above regarding estimating range without a rangefinder and shooting without a perfect stance and your pack on. Never set your bow down more than an arm's length away.

The word apparate pertains not only to Harry Potter but elk: "to appear magically".

Last edited:
Practice with your broadheads intermixed with field points.
Practice shooting from kneeling/awkward positions
Check wind often and don't be afraid to bail on a bull if it shifts against you
Have a friend who's good at calling ( from behind you so you can intercept)
If you can, scout lots.
I'm already out on weekends wading across rivers, clearing out game trails with a chainsaw for this season.
Be ambitious

jcarb

FNG
1) Wind checker
2) trekking poles for pack out
3) Allen wrenches

Wind checker is huge for being successful with archery elk. Trekking poles help a ton when packing out elk because of the weight. Allen wrenches always help just in case something on your bow gets loose. Trust me had it happen before.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
As someone mentioned wind and thermals is everything when trying to get within bow range. Carrying some milkweed as a windchecker really tells you what the winds doing and it will ride the wind and thermals as far as your eyes can see it.

WCB

WKR
A good attitude
Get comfortable hiding in front of cover or if behind cover get far enough back you can move and shoot. Had clients miss opportunities because they were behind a bush or tree and tucked up tight to it.

As someone mentioned wind and thermals is everything when trying to get within bow range. Carrying some milkweed as a windchecker really tells you what the winds doing and it will ride the wind and thermals as far as your eyes can see it.
100%...I carry the powder stuff AND milkweed or goose down. On a 5 day pack in trip I usually have a full sandwich zip lock full of it. Powder stuff is ok generally if it is open and just looking for a general idea. When in close, in the timber, or very light almost non existent breeze the down or milk week tells me what is going on long after the powder disappears. With binos I can watch it for 50-60 yards.

HTNFSH

FNG
Yep on the nose. Every time I even get a hint of bull scent I immediately freeze in place and check my wind checker to see which direction it's coming from.
I picked up on this my 3rd year. Last year my nose led me to at least 4 different bedding areas with no elk, but notes for next time.

Dennis

WKR
Lots of good ideas to consider. My number 1 suggestion is having a great arrow system for elk. For most guys an entire elk hunt comes down to one shot. Success will come from your shooting ability and arrow lethality.