First elk hunt. What cartridge should I use?

Which barrel?

• 6.5PRC with 110gr ER raptor

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • 30-06 with 150gr ER raptor

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • 338 Lapua with 225gr ER raptor

Votes: 14 18.7%

• Total voters

sambo3006

FNG
I'll put in another vote for any of the three. I would add that more important than the cartridge is being prepared for a follow up shot if needed. I've seen a few elk lay there without moving for 10 to 15 minutes, only to either jump up and run or try go get up when the hunter approached. My last bull was still alive 20 minutes after the shot when I finally made my way over to him and he required a second shot to kill him. The first hit was double lung with a 200 grain Partition. My bull before that took a 225 grain Accubond slightly quartering to that shattered the on side shoulder and wrecked the lungs. His front legs collapsed at the shot, then he just stood back up and slowly started walking. A second round finished the job. I've killed a lot of deer, and rarely seen one take that kind of punishment. Elk aren't bullet proof, but sometimes they don't know that they are dead right away.

BigNate

WKR
Either of the smaller two, less recoil tends to produce the best accuracy.

The bullets chosen are what does the work, so with that in mind, which one produces the wound characteristics best at the distance you plan as your max range? What do they do close in? Would a different bullet cover both situations better? This is the real decision.

The cartridge is just a delivery system.

repins05

WKR
I seem to be in the minority anymore (at least on this forum) but when it comes to a mature bull elk the bigger round the better for me. I have had to many bulls keep going even though they are dead.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
Put all three in hat, and pick one. Personally I would take 6.5 prc. But your going to get all kinds of answers and suggestions. I am sure some may even tell you to buy a barrel in a differant caliber. If you were confused before, just wait.
Often the best answer is the first, and so it is - on every count lol!

kcm2

WKR
Elk are not that hard to kill. They have a big kill zone, the size of a trash can lid. Use good bullets with the 6.5 or 30-06 and you will be fine at your ranges.

Elk are very tenacious of life. If hit poorly they will run to the next county. But hit soundly, you will not be tracking them far. Have fun.