First Elk Hunt - New Setup Problems

Frogfan

FNG
Gentlemen,

I recently booked my first archery elk trip for September of this year and back in January posted in the "Elk" forum regarding my existing setup and its effectiveness for elk. Based on the advice received I planned to use my existing setup, but switch from a mechanical head to fixed blade. However, what seems logical at home can completely change in the proshop. I ended up shooting a Hoyt Nitrum Turbo and was surprised how well I like the bow considering I have never been a short brace height/speed bow guy. I ended up with the below new setup:

Hoyt Nitrum Turbo – LH, 70lbs, 29”
QAD HDX
Spot Hogg Fast Eddie – 3 Pin
Easton Axis 340’s with 50gr. brass inserts – 460gr. total arrow weight

I am happy with the equipment; however, setup is where my problems began. After making three separate trips to the proshop for different issues I still lack confidence in the setup. I had to contact Spot Hogg to obtain a spacer as my sight was maxed out “right” and still shooting 3-4” right. The proshop also adjusted my arrows with the cockfeather slightly left of the string (roughly 80-85 degrees) when nocked because they claim this is the only way to avoid contact with the rest and the Hoyt flex cable guard. In light of these issues and after searching online I decided to send the bow to Shane at OnTarget7 to have the bow tuned. Shane received the bow on Monday and thus far his communication has been great.

I am just curious if I have avoided these problems over the years by shooting longer brace height/slower bows or if this is a common problem for Hoyt in general? I am not knocking Hoyt this is just my first one so I did not know if they are a little harder to tune? I have been shooting since 1995 but have only owned PSE, Mathews and Bowtech until now.

Would also appreciate hearing any feedback regarding help Shane was able to provide. I feel like my proshop is marginally competent but using Shane or someone like him may be part of my standard process when I get a new bow from now on.

Thanks,

CK

Pramo

WKR
I shoot basically the same setup Hoyt CST 2014 29.5 draw at 64 pounds and needed axis 300 to tune well, I feel 340 is weak for a fixed head. I did try 340's with no luck before going to the 300's and this is now the best shooting bow I ever had and I've had more than I'd ever admit to my wife.

I set my center shot at 13/16 then yoke tune the top cam with a bowmaster press

Arrow length is 28.5 with 50 brass insert and 100 grain heads

As far as Shane I don't know him but I've read and learned lots from his reviews on AT. Seems like he will do an awesome job

Blackcow

WKR
Sounds like it's your points shop that needs tuning. Set tell center shot at 13/16. You don't even need a press to yoke tune, just do a search on here for you tuning w/o a press and watch Coops video. I bet you get rid of the spacer on the sight.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Lil-Rokslider
That shop should have never sold you those 340 axis arrows, especially with a 50gr insert at your draw weight and length. They might have been ok with a regular Nitrum, but not the turbo.

I shoot a very similar setup. My turbo is RH, 29.5" draw and 70lbs. I'm using 300spine arrows with 50gr inserts and while it required some minor yoke tuning, it shoots great, including fixed blade BH.

You should find yourself a better shop. But Shane will most certainly get you bow setup properly. If there's anyone who knows how to tune a Hoyt, it's him.

MattB

WKR
As stated, you likely have too much weight upfront on the arrows and are suffering from a spine issue.

OP
F

Frogfan

FNG
Everyone hit the nail on the head about dropping down to 300's. Sent the bow to Shane (OnTarget7), where he tried his best to get a good tune out of the Axis 340's to no avail. Shane is great about communicating any problems and sending photos of what is going on. I decided to stick with Easton Axis in the 300's and had Shane build me a dozen arrows while the bow was with him. Bow is in the mail along with new arrows and Shane said it tuned perfectly with the 300's.

I have not even shot the bow, but I cannot say enough about how great Shane is to work with. He is a wealth of knowledge and extremely easy to deal with. Any new bows going forward will be sent to Shane directly for tuning/setup. I think I am done wasting my time with local archery pro shops.

CK