First Bull/Iron Will performance

Howdy all,

Got out and connected with a smallish bull this week... first bull so I was still stoked :)

Just wanted to report my iron will bh performance - this is my second elk using an iron will head - last years cow the arrow passed through and hit a rock behind her so it wasn't the best example of what it looks like.

Bow - Matthews DXT @ 70 lbs
Arrow - Gold Tip hunter pro
Iron Will Vented 125 with a 20 grain insert weight - overall arrow weight is right about 450 grains
Been a while since I shot over a chrono but mide 260s to mid 270s if memory serves

The shot was at 72 yards - broadside/perhaps slighty quartering away.

Shot went in right behind the crease, double lunged, and then exited out the shoulder blade. The bull went MAYBE 50 yards, crashed down, and was completely dead in 5 mins.

When I got up to him, the shaft at broadhead were laying next to him, and the fletching and maybe 4 inches were underneath him (offside of shot)... so I figure he had maybe all but the fletching pass through him and when he toppled, he broke off the rest of the arrow and the fletching popped out then as all of the arrow was outside of him on the off side.

Performance was awesome IMO... the blades are literally still shaving sharp and totally re-usable... only issue is that the farrel bent slightly... so I may contact IW and see if that's a warranty replaceable item.

But for 72 yards, near complete passthrough, including punching completely through the off shoulder, I was impressed :)

seleOb3h.jpg

LT7f5Djh.jpg

0Q7zmWgh.jpg

UVjcDVvh.jpg

tsz6mgmh.jpg

tBTfPGkh.jpg

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Really cool, Riley. Well done. That second picture up from the bottom—where you can see the main blade and bleeder cuts really well—is a great one. Enjoy the results!

wysongdog

WKR
Good work. Great shooting and set up for elk. Love it when a plan comes together :). My son had the same sort of performance with IW’s on his bull a little closer. Complete pass thru. These heads don’t like rocks tho lol. He needs a new main blade tip is bent from hitting rocks behind his bull. Lol. I think about 60yd tracking job 35 yd shot

JBH

FNG
Really cool, Riley. Well done. That second picture up from the bottom—where you can see the main blade and bleeder cuts really well—is a great one. Enjoy the results!

I agree. Seeing the extra cutting of the bleeders there is great.

JES

FNG
Nice shot and congrats on your bull. This year I shot my first elk as well, with an Iron Will 125 grain head, 43 yard broadside shot with a complete passthrough, never found the arrow. I'm sold on these heads.

OP
rileybassman
Nice shot and congrats on your bull. This year I shot my first elk as well, with an Iron Will 125 grain head, 43 yard broadside shot with a complete passthrough, never found the arrow. I'm sold on these heads.
Congrats! Yea they work great

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
rileybassman
I really wanna shot IW next yr. But I'm worried about the surface rusting in the quiver they talk about.
Idk if you have a carbon or tool steel knife, but just treat it the same as you would a knife. Mineral oil or other food safe oils with a light coating if you are worried.

Last edited:
OP
rileybassman
Sounds like he made a great shot too! Big targets that rarely jump at the shot.
Thanks! Yea it was perfect scenario... Generally I limit my shots to 60, but I've practiced those 70 yard shots... Perfect broadside, no wind, no idea I was there. Felt confident with the shot and the gear did the rest :)

Last edited:

Whisky

WKR
Have you contacted IW about the warranty? Please report back what you learn.
thanks

OP
rileybassman
Have you contacted IW about the warranty? Please report back what you learn.
thanks
Not yet ... I have been out of town with work and running back to antelope hunt .. hopefully next week I'll start that process - I'll report back their warranty service

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats!! Great to hear your success.

To the broadhead, Ironwill will replace it. I have broke two broadheads (my fault) and they reached out to me on Facebook, before I could ever call them, and offered to replace it. I personally never sent it back because I purposely was doing torture test and wanted to keep them for my collection but they are a great company to deal with.

KHNC

WKR
Most likely a guy who does not hunt the west, nor practices past 40 yards on a regular basis. 72 yards on a broadside bull is not very hard shot at all. Very large vital area as you know, and they usually just stand there and wait for the arrow to hit them.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Congrats on the bull! The broadhead looks really good in the photos and I've never seen a ferrule bend from hitting an animal, but we will replace anything broken or bent.