School me on the Iron Will Snyder Core and Micro arrows

Luked

WKR
I am behind the times on arrows as most of my hunting is here at home in the Midwest Whitetail woods.
All I have shot arrow wise for years is a Gold Tip Hunter XT. Have had great luck with them over the years but now with venturing out west more some of my thoughts on my arrow setup have changed a bit.
After this season I want to go to something compleatly different on my arrow setup.
BH wise I want to go with Iron Will S series heads.
I also want to shoot a micro diam shaft as well.
Here is where I get a little lost.
I know Iron Will has the Snyder Core system which the principal seems really solid

Here is where my question lies.
I plan to shoot a Gold Tip Pierce Platinum so a .166 ID (Possibly, havent settled on a shaft yet)
Snyder Core S series Iron Will.
I will also need the Iron WIll Impact Collar?
And If I want to add weight I can get the Iron Will HIT inserts for whatever weight I want and it will jsut screw on to the Snyder Core Head set up...Correct?

Bump79

WKR
Honestly, the IW .166 system shines in western windy scenarios. For whitetail a .204, .224 or .233 is a great shaft. If I was to do it - I'd just the Synder core head and just use a standard deep six insert. Top with either IW or Ethics collar.

Last edited:

Bump79

WKR
I listened to Iron Will Bill on Days in the Wild podcast and he said that the .166 has a 6% advantage over a .204. He opts for the .204.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Ok so for a .204 ID what arrow would be best?

The Synder Core system also revolves around the concept of taking your broadhead and insert and gluing them in as an assembly instead of gluing in the insert only

If you really think you need a smaller shaft, I'd go .204.

In a year you can use different heads without being stuck to one system, or outserts.

I think about everyone is making a good arrow now, decide on a target weight and find something that works for that. Generally the lighter, the less durable.

WCB

WKR
I live in the midwest and deer hunt obviously but hunt out west with a bow and can tell you coming from the Pierce Platinum to the GT Hunter Pros I won't go back. I also shot VAPS for a few years and Easton FMJ 5mm. I see zero difference in penetration on game and honestly I'm sure guys shoot in wind and have tested the difference but imo if it is windy enough for it to matter I probably can't hold my bow steady enough to be shooting anyways. In college (2006-10) and a little after I shot the CE Maxima (not red) which is not a micro and hunted out west with those shooting animals fairly long range no issues.

I shoot/practice in all conditions and out to 90yards I can 100% say with confidence changing arrows has had really zero effect on my accuracy in "wind" or not. I also can not stand having to take extra steps when building arrows and now trying to keep 3 or 4 different pieces aligned/squared.

I will say however the Pierces imo were the best arrow out of the 3 micros I shot. Less random breaking arrows was a big plus.

I will also need the Iron WIll Impact Collar?
The collar is optional. A lot of guys choose to add a collar, but you can use Snyder Core broadheads without a collar.

And If I want to add weight I can get the Iron Will HIT inserts for whatever weight I want and it will jsut screw on to the Snyder Core Head set up...Correct?
Correct. Any micro diameter (4mm/.166") HIT will work with a Snyder Core broadhead. Doesn't have to be an Iron Will HIT...an Easton or Ethics HIT would also work.

I'd go with black eagle arrows. Either the rampage or deep impacts. My favorite and best bang for the buck. I've had arrows setup for the renegades, rampage, carnivore and deep impacts. I've setup arrows for several friends and they're all believers now. They're arrow systems have outserts, collars or whatever you need, all on one website.

big44a4

WKR
Ok so for a .204 ID what arrow would be best?

Victory RIP TKO or SS with a HIT insert (brass or aluminum pending desired weight) and a TI collar. That’s the most durable setup I’ve seen recently. I have some laying around send me a PM if interested.

Man, guys make such a big deal out of this, it's ridiculous. Just get a solid .204 (Easton Axis/Black eagle Renegade or Rampage), glue in the Easton HIT inserts, slap a sharp head on the end and tune your bow. We aren't hunting frickin rhinos here.

If it's windy enough that a .204 isn't good enough, you need to get closer. The fletching will cause more wind drift than the shaft diameter anyways.

MattB

WKR
You don’t need a different arrow to head “out west”. You can spend a bunch of money and then come out here to find out most guys shoot arrows very similar to the ones you moved away from.

Zac

WKR
Iron Will wide on a micro is probably the worst combination you could come up with. Micros take longer to stabilize than standard diameter shafts so you want the least amount of oscillation possible when shooting a huge wing on the front. Same principle goes for the back of the shaft so smaller profile vanes are preferable over your Blazer style. If you going to play the micro game you need, small profile head, and small profile vanes. The Snyder Core system is nothing more than a Deep 6 insert that's already attached to the head. Nothing revolutionary just makes it a little more convenient is all.

CMF

WKR
I listened to Iron Will Bill on Days in the Wild podcast and he said that the .166 has a 6% advantage over a .204. He opts for the .204.
Does anyone have an idea where the "6% advantage" number comes from?
Not disagreeing, Just curious....

Bump79

WKR
Does anyone have an idea where the "6% advantage" number comes from?
Not disagreeing, Just curious....
It's the reduction in surface area that gives the reduction. While the actual reduction in area is greater than 6% from 5mm to 4mm you don't get the full benefit.

He explains it where essentially the wind vector applies slightly diagonally as it is reflective of the velocity of the arrow (straight) and wind (say perpendicular). It's a combined vector and that's why it is only up to 6%.

I like the Syndercore and glue in designs. Evolution just came out with one as well. If you do the Syndercore I'm almost positive you can use a normal steel deep six HIT and a collar. That makes the cost a little less as you can find those around pretty cheap.

dtrkyman

WKR
The wind is going to effect your ability to hold more than your arrow, I think the .166 arrows are not worth the hassle and they can be more finicky to tune, Tim Gillingham talks about it a bit.

I have some CX Maxima SD in their .203, they have a ss half out and I added my own footer from aluminum arrow shafts cut down, I didn't plan on footers but had a couple of those half outs blow out the side on hard impacts.

Reactions: Zac

CMF

WKR
It's the reduction in surface area that gives the reduction. While the actual reduction in area is greater than 6% from 5mm to 4mm you don't get the full benefit.

He explains it where essentially the wind vector applies slightly diagonally as it is reflective of the velocity of the arrow (straight) and wind (say perpendicular). It's a combined vector and that's why it is only up to 6%.

I like the Syndercore and glue in designs. Evolution just came out with one as well. If you do the Syndercore I'm almost positive you can use a normal steel deep six HIT and a collar. That makes the cost a little less as you can find those around pretty cheap.
Thanks for the explanation.

What are you doing for field tips and small game points when you use the Snydercore system?

Zac

WKR
Thanks for the explanation.

What are you doing for field tips and small game points when you use the Snydercore system?
Pot of boiling water, rip out the front, then hot melt some old Deep 6 thing in there. See how easy that system is?

I shoot the IW with hit inserts and a collar glued in with hot melt. Easton axis long range 4mm. Excellent system. Have blown through both shoulders on a mature buck. I feel confident shooting a whitetail basically anywhere on its body and penetrating vitals. Deboned pic in entrance side scapula on the “Y”, hanging pic is the far side shoulder. Blew through the bone and stopped in the hide. Im sold.

2f94f7473620bac555b8bb52c321b7f8.jpg

2564b3c49c07b45c318eb8916a4bf953.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk