First Black bear... An unplanned day of chaos in SE Alaska.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I learned a couple of things that day that I would do differently.

One, I try to avoid solo hunting especially in my area but I’ve been so damn determined to succeed on my own it gets the best of me sometimes, and I just walk out my door and go for it.

Two, be mindful of where I quarter out a deer. I was close to a brush line in a small dip in the terrain and didn’t have a good line of sight around me.

Lastly, I got complacent. I’ve had very few bear encounters up until that day. I’ve only run in to black bears while fishing, or running off the young bear that likes to get into my dumpster. I didn’t expect to see one that time of year, but it’s been a warmer fall and they’ve had plenty of forage due to lack of freezing temps leading up to that day. I also left my handgun at home that day and usually religiously carry that for closer encounters, especially in brown bear territory.
Not to try and start something here, just airing my opinion.

I find enjoyment in both hunting solo and together with good friends. They are two different experiences. Hunting together with somebody else, you get to share the pain, excitement, joy etc. Which is nice.

Hunting solo puts more pressure on yourself not to screw up since you will be in a pickle. The fulfillment however of a successful hunt is way more gratifying for me personally. Since I did it based on my knowledge/skill and it was all up to me.

With that said, I think you can hunt solo and it will not necessarily increase danger as long as you are smart about it.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
Andrewdk

Andrewdk

FNG
Not to try and start something here, just airing my opinion.

I find enjoyment in both hunting solo and together with good friends. They are two different experiences. Hunting together with somebody else, you get to share the pain, excitement, joy etc. Which is nice.

Hunting solo puts more pressure on yourself not to screw up since you will be in a pickle. The fulfillment however of a successful hunt is way more gratifying for me personally. Since I did it based on my knowledge/skill and it was all up to me.

With that said, I think you can hunt solo and it will not necessarily increase danger as long as you are smart about it.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree with your thoughts as well. I’ve learned some much in a short time doing this on my own.. and there’s times I like to hunt with a close friend but I also enjoy going at my own pace. I think I worry more about staying within my limitations, especially in Alaska where shit can go sideways quick and help is far away.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with your thoughts as well. I’ve learned some much in a short time doing this on my own.. and there’s times I like to hunt with a close friend but I also enjoy going at my own pace. I think I worry more about staying within my limitations, especially in Alaska where shit can go sideways quick and help is far away.
Yeah I agree. But that is Parr of the fun. Haha. It spices things and puts some excitement in life. I have lived off and on I SE AK for the past 15 years, planning on moving there full time soon with some luck.

Had my closest near death experience 12 years ago or so which involved me going for a swim from a skiff 45 min ride away from the house.

Went to fairly remote island 2 years ago with my brother in law for blacktail. At first I was wanting to go solo. My father in law strongly recommended not to do so. Once we got there I understood why.

cmeyer733

FNG
Thats awesome, great story, congratulations! I lived in Ketchikan for a few years, sure miss that place. Headed back to POW next spring and cant wait!!

Great story. Reminds me of deer hunting on Kodiak when I was a teenager. The friend sneaking up and growling is awesome. You two will laugh over that story for decades to come. Well done, and glad to hear you made it out relatively unscathed, instead of tumbling into a patch of devil's club like I did!

Sounds like a fun day! Lots of good meat in a short time. I honestly don’t feel that it’s more dangerous hunting solo, I think the lack of support hunting solo is made up for in added focus to the task and your surroundings

OP
Andrewdk

Andrewdk

FNG
Great story. Reminds me of deer hunting on Kodiak when I was a teenager. The friend sneaking up and growling is awesome. You two will laugh over that story for decades to come. Well done, and glad to hear you made it out relatively unscathed, instead of tumbling into a patch of devil's club like I did!
I didn't make it out completely devils club free... I was picking thorns out of my hand for almost 2 weeks.

OP
Andrewdk

Andrewdk

FNG
Good, that makes me feel better, and makes the story that much cooler! Did you get a chance to measure that hide?

I haven’t yet. I probably won’t have measurements until I get it to the taxidermist. ADFG scored the skull but not the hide.

Thegman

WKR
That body language said "shoot", good call. I had a 6'4" boar come in and do that while I was filling a bait barrel I'd just spooked him off of riding in.

The gal I was with asked "What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to kill him." The 350 Lengend worked well.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I always get a black bear tag in SEAK even though I have no real intention to hunt them, just in case of this exact scenario.