Fire or no fire

Krcooke92

FNG
When y’all are in the backcountry in September hunting, what’s yall preference fire in the evenings after a long day of hunting, or no fire to try an keep your scent hidden?

When y’all are in the backcountry in September hunting, what’s yall preference fire in the evenings after a long day of hunting, or no fire to try a keep your scent hidden?
Smoke is a great scent hider and a natural smell in the woods.

Best to hunt the wind as I have never found anything to work better than that.

OP
Krcooke92

Krcooke92

FNG
No fire, but has nothing to do with scent. When I get back to camp I cook my food and go to sleep so I can get up and go again before dawn. I'm not out there to sit around campfires and cook smores.
When I say scent I mean thermals switching throughout the night that carries the smoke to whatever area the game your hunting is

Poser

WKR
In September in CO, it’s usually not very cold at all. For the most part, a fire would be aesthetic.

It’s time consuming and the days are long.

More years than not, there is a fire ban in place in SW CO.

I’d consider one if I were wet enough and cold enough.

No fire. A lot of times there are still fire restrictions in September. I don't want the hassle of worrying about my last nights fire being out.

Ratbeetle

WKR
If there aren't fire restrictions in place and I have water close, always. A nice little fire in the evening doesn't take but a minute to get going and tend to.

rayporter

WKR
i have smelled smoke way up the valley when other camps had a fire.

also killed elk when i could smell smoke. sometimes i have a fire. i quit worrying about the game smelling the smoke.

EdP

WKR
For me backcountry hunting is in Nov, not Sept. With temps in the 20s and 30s (F) in the evening, I want a fire to warm up. It's the first thing I do when I get back to camp cold and tired. It only takes a few minutes, provides light, warmth, and comfort, and after being out all day my body needs a break from having to keep itself warm. Downed hardwood branches (squaw wood) are easily gathered here. I can gather enough for 2 evenings in an hour. If there is a fire ban here like in 2017, I don't hunt the backcountry.