Fire or no fire

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
For me it all about time and effort nothing to do with smell. Fire is a natural part of the ecosystem and I don't think the scent bothers animals.

No fire, but has nothing to do with scent. When I get back to camp I cook my food and go to sleep so I can get up and go again before dawn. I'm not out there to sit around campfires and cook smores.

x2 At the end of the day I am starving and wiped.

If I'm lucky enough to kill early in a hunt some camp time relaxing with a campfire is some of the best time I'll spend all year.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
We have a fire in the wood stove every morning and evening. I haven't seen any negative effect on moose by camp and it sure doesn't deep the dang grizzlies away from camp!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Where I grew up hunting in the Sierras, most areas were either fire by permit only or zero fires at all. No that everyone always obeyed that law. Usually I would be too tired and would eat dinner and crash anyway. For larger base camps and 10+day hunts it's fun sometimes to stay up late around the fire.

Heavyjim

FNG
I love a fire but they take work and some planning and tending. Also depends who I'm with. Some friends insist on having one. I'm ok with it. If I'm alone hardly ever especially if it's not very cold

FlyGuy

WKR
I do enjoy a nice fire at camp but I rarely mess with them. Especially when solo I just don’t want the extra hassle. I get in my bag, eat and rack out. With a hunting partner it’s nice to eat together, so the fire helps to keep you warm while you catch up on the days highlights.

For the most part I’m only lighting a fire if I need to dry some stuff out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mosby

WKR
The last time I hunted in Idaho two dudes from Minnesota started a fire at the trail head to warm up and they caused a full blown forest fire, helicopters dumping water with out of state smoke jumpers running around. I am guessing the fines and legal fees were in the tens of thousands.

I wouldn't have a fire in the back country unless it is freezing cold and there was snow on the ground. It's been so dry the last several years out west, I don't even think about it.

I’ve had plenty of elk and mule deer walk through camp with a fire - so that myth is debunked.

Fire improves morale, so of course I have fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've had a campfire once in the last 17 years during Sept archery season, and that was mid morning one day. When the sun goes down late and doesn't get dark until after 8pm, then not back into camp until much later than that......just not much time for a fire. Zero dark thirty comes early the next morning. It's hard enough just trying to force any dinner down before hitting the sleeping bag.

No fire, but has nothing to do with scent. When I get back to camp I cook my food and go to sleep so I can get up and go again before dawn. I'm not out there to sit around campfires and cook smores.
Ditto at night. Arriving in camp past dark, after a long day of bow-hiking exhausted, and cooking and eating a meal, I'm dying to get to sleep because pre-dawn will be here before you know it. It's a grind! Also don't worry about smoke smell. We often will make a fire mid-day to warm up or dry-out on the hunt depending on conditions. Hardly ever at night through.

UncleBone

WKR
Randy Newberg says they dont mind fire. But I cant speak from my own experience.

dtrkyman

WKR
If the smoke from your fire is getting to game then so is the stink from your smelly arse! I like a fire but normally in Sept. I get back to camp, eat and crash!