Fire or no fire

I like having fires whatever time of year it is if there’s no restrictions.

Everyone should put their fire out regardless of what time of year it is. I’ve been on escaped shed hunter fires in March to escaped fires in November from hunter warming fires. Only takes a few minutes to put it out.

TW907

FNG
Fires in all of our high country guided camps for the last 22 years. Animals don’t care about smoke unless it’s burning the forest down

sacklunch

WKR
There’s lot of science that says that the smoke actually hides your scent and that game animals aren’t reactive to the smell of smoke at all.
Hard to believe that smart animals, especially those gene pools from wildfire prone areas are not recognizing that smoke as potential danger, consciously or subconsciously moving away.

Not saying your wrong, but I'd like to see the science that says they aren't aware that "where there's smoke there's fire"

No fires for me. Long days, rather sleep right after dinner.

croben

WKR
Most nights no fire, especially since there’s usually still a fire ban for us. If we harvest something and there’s no fire ban, you can bet we’re cooking fresh meat over a fire.

jayhawk

WKR
Usually there’s a fire ban where I hunt. But I always try to go with a fire if I can. There’s something primal about a hunters campfire. More memories made there than in the field in my experience.

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to believe that smart animals, especially those gene pools from wildfire prone areas are not recognizing that smoke as potential danger, consciously or subconsciously moving away.

Not saying your wrong, but I'd like to see the science that says they aren't aware that "where there's smoke there's fire"

The carbon that is put off traps human odor. I know I’m not wrong. I think you’re giving these animals far too much critical thinking credit. Fires have been firing FAR longer than people have been peopling. Fire is not a predator. Smoke is not a predator. That is the point.

Clearly animals are going to react to a massive blaze. But they’re not going to be super freaked out about a small fire. Especially the residual smell of smoke, say the next morning after a night fire.

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider

Not very often. Too tired, hungry, and thirsty after a hard day of hustling after elk. Plus been hunting in fireban country the last few years.

My 2022 season ended with a blown stalk on a herd of about 40 elk on public land in December. The herd moved off about 400 yards with just a few minutes of shooting light left. We were too wet and cold (temps well below zero) to attempt any long range shooting and we were 3 miles from the truck so we built a bonfire to warm up. That whole herd settled down and we stood around the fire watching them graze in the twilight not 400 yards away.

If no fire ban we have fires . . . For a couple reasons. Typically we have the old man in camp not humping up and down the mountain so he has a fire built guiding us in when we come back after dark.

When we are spiked out and the old man isn't around we will have one every other night or so. It's nice and helps unwind. We too return after dark, but I typically can't sleep before 11 or 12 anyway so a fire passes some time. Also there have been plenty of times it's been cold or wet and some heat to dry things out has been welcome!

JCOREGON

FNG
When y’all are in the backcountry in September hunting, what’s yall preference fire in the evenings after a long day of hunting, or no fire to try a keep your scent hidden?
Back when there wasn’t a fire restrictions I enjoyed the fire. I don't believe fire scares animals away. Have killed several animals while sitting by a fire to stay warm.

sacklunch

WKR

Dude, if quoting opinion pieces from all-about-moose and Grandviewoutdoors is your definition of science, I can't help you.

Not sure why you're mentioning smoke masking human scent, fairly positive I never disputed that fact. But if you don't think animals equate smoke to fire and thus at least the potential for danger, because "i'm giving them too much credit", while in the same breath admitting they equate other scents to potential danger, is that really a logical hypothesis? Anything other than an opinion piece on cigar smoke covering body odor to support?

Enjoy that campfire, I'll go without.

If it's cold, the wood stove is going to be lit and burning, so I can sit back and enjoy dinner, then take a babywipes shower (so to speak) and slide into a warm bed while I am still warm, right after damping the stove so it smolders all night.

In the morning, the stove gets stoked, so I can enjoy breakfast in a warm tent before my hike in the dark. Then rinse and repeat.

Tmac

WKR
I’ve personally watched game walking back into burnt areas that were still smoking in hot spots. A couple different groups of mule deer in this case. The entire area smelled of smoke. Draw your own conclusions, but they sure were not concerned about the smoke smell.

As to why, no idea. Old home range? Going to water? Some quick sprouting food source after a fire that fast seems unlikely, but I don’t know.

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
Dude, if quoting opinion pieces from all-about-moose and Grandviewoutdoors is your definition of science, I can't help you.

Not sure why you're mentioning smoke masking human scent, fairly positive I never disputed that fact. But if you don't think animals equate smoke to fire and thus at least the potential for danger, because "i'm giving them too much credit", while in the same breath admitting they equate other scents to potential danger, is that really a logical hypothesis? Anything other than an opinion piece on cigar smoke covering body odor to support?

Enjoy that campfire, I'll go without.
All science starts as an opinion piece, my man. IF I smell like smoke and not people THEN prey animals may be less likely to smell me or be (as) spooked when they do.

Try and try again. See if it works. If it does and it is quantifiable, theory confirmed. And it is quantifiable that animals are less spooked about fire (unless it's the obvious, barn burner) then they are of human predators.

I'm far from saying that fire is the solution to any animal's olfactory sense. I'm saying, it's certainly a nice side effect that you're less detectable through scent. We all know nothing will beat it and that there's a huge market for scent blocking sprays, ozone generators, pucks and cover scents, but human beings have been using fire to cover their odor for literally thousands of years.

I am also definitely not trying to say that cigar smoke is the way to go. Lol. If you don't like having a fire, this conversation is never going to sway you but a quick google search and a little experience will corroborate everything I'm saying. Carbon (a known scent killer-charcoal-activated carbon-) is produced in the burning process. The said carbon traps and kills scent producing enzymes on the clothing and skin.

I posted those articles to simply show that I'm not just making this stuff up. They are by no means iron clad evidence.

Scorpion

WKR
We will usually do a fire in September unless too exhausted from the day. Definitely making fires in later seasons.

We have moved to hot tents/tipis even in early seasons, so it’s not uncommon to skip the campfire and just heat the stove for warmth if chilly and to dry out gear.

I don’t worry about the smell bothering game animals. We killed two bulls outside of Yellowstone where we didn’t see the sun for a week due to all of the smoke from the park. Lots of smoke scent in the air the entire time, as well.

I’m personally more concerned with making sure camp isn’t too close to hunting areas and having the associated noise humans inadvertently make scare them.