Fire or no fire

sacklunch

WKR
All science starts as an opinion piece, my man. IF I smell like smoke and not people THEN prey animals may be less likely to smell me or be (as) spooked when they do.

Try and try again. See if it works. If it does and it is quantifiable, theory confirmed. And it is quantifiable that animals are less spooked about fire (unless it's the obvious, barn burner) then they are of human predators.

I'm far from saying that fire is the solution to any animal's olfactory sense. I'm saying, it's certainly a nice side effect that you're less detectable through scent. We all know nothing will beat it and that there's a huge market for scent blocking sprays, ozone generators, pucks and cover scents, but human beings have been using fire to cover their odor for literally thousands of years.

I am also definitely not trying to say that cigar smoke is the way to go. Lol. If you don't like having a fire, this conversation is never going to sway you but a quick google search and a little experience will corroborate everything I'm saying. Carbon (a known scent killer-charcoal-activated carbon-) is produced in the burning process. The said carbon traps and kills scent producing enzymes on the clothing and skin.

I posted those articles to simply show that I'm not just making this stuff up. They are by no means iron clad evidence.
Lets stay on topic here dude...we're not talking about douching yourself with smoke, or even cow piss to mask YOUR sent. Campfires was the topic and the direct smoke from one and its effect on animals.

I can make myself smell like alot of things rather than a human...what if I make myself smell like a mtn lion? I'm making my scent, but pretty sure elk may equate that to danger. Pretty safe to assume, smelling like the fire that almost ran them down say 2 years ago woukd trigger the same alert.

Our Campfire strategy is normally based on how tired we are...sometimes after a long strenuous day its a nice way to replay the events..other days we eat dinner in our sleeping bags.

When I say scent I mean thermals switching throughout the night that carries the smoke to whatever area the game your hunting is
So you think the thermals are gonna switch and blown the scent of smoke to the game..

But you don't think its gonna blow your human scent to them?
If they can smell your fire they can smell you.

Its usually daylight is usually 545 to 9 pm ish.
Which means you should be up by 445 and not in bed till 10.

When exactly are you gonna be kicking back?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm (we're if not solo) usually dog ass tired, often headlamping back to camp, BUT if possible, I want a fire :)

mMUAnSE.jpg

taskswap

WKR
Forget the smell. They can SEE it.

I never make a fire, and I've had numerous elk walk right by my camp. Not "off in the distance". I mean, <50 yards. The worst thing I think you can do when you're trying to "wake up with the elk" is push them a half mile away because they see the light of it. You do you, but I don't make one.

This was last year, look dead center. That was about 40 yards from me. That was just the one it was light enough to take a picture of. I could hear them all night, probably 7-8 walked right by my tent and in the morning there was a cow about 80yds from my camp, just chowing down. No way they would have stuck that close if they'd seen a fire.

elk.jpeg

One more point to ponder. At least 3 of the past 5 years we've had various fire restrictions. I think fires are nice but you really need to have your "plan" be survivable if you can't make a fire even if you didn't think there were animals nearby...

Dude, if quoting opinion pieces from all-about-moose and Grandviewoutdoors is your definition of science, I can't help you.

Not sure why you're mentioning smoke masking human scent, fairly positive I never disputed that fact. But if you don't think animals equate smoke to fire and thus at least the potential for danger, because "i'm giving them too much credit", while in the same breath admitting they equate other scents to potential danger, is that really a logical hypothesis? Anything other than an opinion piece on cigar smoke covering body odor to support?

Enjoy that campfire, I'll go without.
If animals equated smoke with danger there would be many areas they would be fleeing in circles from summer to winter most years due to smoke.

I glassed a bull a few years back withing 1/2 mile of an active forest fire, bugling and going about his business with his herd. It was a slow burn that the Forrest service was watching and not actively fighting. Bull and cows didn't seem to care. I've also had years where you smelled smoke all day because of fires miles and miles away pushing smoke around. Animals done freak out when they smell smoke. They are used to it. Go without if that's your preference. But let at least come to terms with animals not worrying much about the smell of smoke (as in wood smoke from a camp fire or Forrest fire).

sacklunch

WKR
If animals equated smoke with danger there would be many areas they would be fleeing in circles from summer to winter most years due to smoke.

I glassed a bull a few years back withing 1/2 mile of an active forest fire, bugling and going about his business with his herd. It was a slow burn that the Forrest service was watching and not actively fighting. Bull and cows didn't seem to care. I've also had years where you smelled smoke all day because of fires miles and miles away pushing smoke around. Animals done freak out when they smell smoke. They are used to it. Go without if that's your preference. But let at least come to terms with animals not worrying much about the smell of smoke (as in wood smoke from a camp fire or Forrest fire).
Not saying you're wrong, but that's anecdotal at best. Im still not building a campfire after a hunt, 1/2 mile from the basin I left animals in that evening. Not worth the risk, especially not in Sept. November and zero degrees, that answer probably changes. Risk vs reward.

Have a fire if you want and if there are not fire restrictions. Sometimes I have one sometimes I don't. Does it bother the game? NO, just the fact. One night step behind the tent for the call and heard something back at the fire, there was a very nice mulie buck right at the pit smelling it, could have burned his nose. Another time decided to have a fire and bang off goes the bugle hair standing type within maybe 100 yards, he did this a few more times then shut down. Next morning about 100 yards if that from camp there he was. I did not expect him to still be there. and others over the years. So don't worry about it. Enjoy the experience

GoatPackr

WKR
Many time I've seen mule deer, elk and white tail around slash piles as they burned. I've come back by the next morning and found tracks in the snow around what was left of the fire and could tell they were warming themselves that night and eating around the edges where the snow melted back and grass was exposed. My first whitetail buck was actually killed as they were setting slash pile fires all around with smoke blowing up the valley. I shot him as he was out feeding. No way am I concerned in the slightest about animals smelling or seeing my campfire. I've had elk walk through camp at night after the fire burned down but was still smoldering. Could hear them talking as they fed around only a few yards from us.
I'm sure if we had stood up or talked they would have spooked.

Kris

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Many time I've seen mule deer, elk and white tail around slash piles as they burn.

My uncle was a logging forester for over 40 years. When they burned slash during hunting season he always brought a rifle for this reason.

He always thought they were attracted by the fire.

prm

WKR
I try to always camp downwind, the best I can anyway, so fires shouldn't matter. Besides that, sitting around a fire with friends and family is part of the experience. If solo, probably no fire.