Finally rifle time

atmat

WKR
As far as scopes I'm well aware of SWFA. But looking at alternatives I prefer to stay in the 500-600 dollar range with 700 as a max. SFP is preferred but willing to use FFP. Also I prefer to dial but I'm willing to compromise on that as well. Sightron S-tac and the Optika5 are on my radar.
The SWFA are a steal and more than sufficient. I paid <$200 for a new 6x, which is adequate out to further than I can shoot.

You can always upgrade later. But <$200 and you can be shooting now, which is what really matters.

I love my .223, but I’d get a 6mm or bigger if there’s any chance you'll hunt elk in any of the states that require a 6mm minimum — particularly if your budget limits you to one rifle.

The Tikka 6.5creed is great and you can probably pick one up used for dirt cheap.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
The SWFA are a steal and more than sufficient. I paid <$200 for a new 6x, which is adequate out to further than I can shoot.

You can always upgrade later. But <$200 and you can be shooting now, which is what really matters.

I love my .223, but I’d get a 6mm or bigger if there’s any chance you'll hunt elk in any of the states that require a 6mm minimum — particularly if your budget limits you to one rifle.

The Tikka 6.5creed is great and you can probably pick one up used for dirt cheap.
The 6.5 Creed is my choice in a T3X lite. I'll keep my eye out for the 6x swfa just need to snatch it up when it becomes available.

Stalker69

WKR
I had a 270 years ago. I sold it due to falling on hard times so after today I had the balls to ask for a rifle.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Sounds like your wife has your “ balls” in her purse. Lol

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
Yea I'm 90 percent certain on the Creedmoor. Any particular bullet style I should be looking at as I absolutely will not shoot game long range so bc doesn't matter to me.

What game are you going to pursue with this rifle? Do you handload, or primarily factory ammo?

Deer and smaller game, the 6.5 CM is a great choice. If you’re adding elk, the 6.5 PRC is a great choice. If you don’t mind recoil, the 7mm RM is another great all-around cartridge. If you hand load, the 280 AI is another great one-cartridge choice. Actually, your former cartridge, the .270 Win is a great cartridge too.

As far as scopes, your budget is on the lower end. But you can get a lot of good scopes in that range. I would call the scope guys at CameraLand in NY, and ask their opinion. They sometimes have some great deals, and you might be able to get a $1000-1200 scope for your budget. They wont steer you wrong. Another option is a couple of direct sale companies like Maven and Athlon. You can get good scopes direct from the manufacturer and save a couple hundred or so.

atmat

WKR
Deer and smaller game, the 6.5 CM is a great choice. If you’re adding elk, the…
The 6.5cm is great for elk, too. There are plenty of folks here taking elk and even moose with a .223.

Recommend you read these threads:

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
What game are you going to pursue with this rifle? Do you handload, or primarily factory ammo?

Deer and smaller game, the 6.5 CM is a great choice. If you’re adding elk, the 6.5 PRC is a great choice. If you don’t mind recoil, the 7mm RM is another great all-around cartridge. If you hand load, the 280 AI is another great one-cartridge choice. Actually, your former cartridge, the .270 Win is a great cartridge too.

As far as scopes, your budget is on the lower end. But you can get a lot of good scopes in that range. I would call the scope guys at CameraLand in NY, and ask their opinion. They sometimes have some great deals, and you might be able to get a $1000-1200 scope for your budget. They wont steer you wrong. Another option is a couple of direct sale companies like Maven and Athlon. You can get good scopes direct from the manufacturer and save a couple hundred or so.
This will be primarily white tale and mulies 400 and in and I think I can squeeze in a trijicon credo hx

Bomberodevil

Lil-Rokslider
This will be primarily white tale and mulies 400 and in and I think I can squeeze in a trijicon credo hx

If it’s deer at 400 yards and in, I’d be looking at 6.5 CM, or maybe a lighter 7mm, such as .280 or 7mm-08.

Antares

WKR
I don't mean to sound rude, but if you're struggling to afford the rifle, make sure you can afford to feed it. Go with the .223.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
I don't mean to sound rude, but if you're struggling to afford the rifle, make sure you can afford to feed it. Go with the .223.
Oh no i can definitely afford now i'm making triple what i was making then just don't know what i really want though tikka has always been real high on my list