Finally ready for a “wall tent” style tent… Kodiak canvas 12x12?

After much consideration I think I’m going to go 14x16 Davis wall tent. I’ll get the full detached floor, might not be 100% bug/snake proof but neither is my house for that matter.

It’s not cheap ($2500 for everything) but it’s a long term investment, and a helluva lot cheaper than a camper/travel trailer.
I was about to post that you should go that direction(on one of your last posts you said you may regret it) - you absolutely will not regret it. I have the size down(12x14) and I can have it up solo in 20 minutes or less... I can't imagine an extra 2 feet in both directions would change that too much.

The last statement is so true. Some people are so fast to balk at spending that much on a tent, but have no problem justifying 15k-20k-30k on a camper trailer. I like being able to camp wherever I can drive to. I did the camper thing a time or two - for me the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

Ark6

FNG
After 3 years of elk hunting my hunting partner and I have decided we finally need a bomb proof truck camp setup. First year we went out with my Cimmeron and that was it… Talk about miserable (especially considering it got down to -15F!)

Next time I bought a SO 8 man, it worked, but we had four in camp, and even with some extra tents for sleeping the 8 man was tight. But the weather was fairer so it wasn’t so bad.

This past year we also had the 8 man with three. It was about perfect for backpacking in, but it was still cramped for near the truck, especially when the temps plummeted into the single digits. We tagged out on the first day and once the meat hauling began we longed for something a bit more spacious and comfortable.

Hunting wise what we are doing works, we’ve been into elk all 3 years and filled tags the past two years. We typically spike in for 2-3 days at a time on a 7 day hunt. Usually we get a hotel mid way through the week but that can cut significantly into hunting time, not to mention expense.

We’ve come to the conclusion that the lightweight tipis just aren’t that great for a base camp setup near the truck. The shape isn’t conducive to cots, the condensation issues are sort of a pain, and the titanium stoves, while awesome in the backcountry burn out fast when trying to R&R. Overall they are just too cramped outside of the backpacking/backcountry environment in inclement weather. We’re actually thinking about ditching tipis all together and going super light and running tarps when we backpack in next year, but that’s a subject of another thread.

Bottom line we want some sort of wall tent set up that can sleep 2-4 comfortably. Many years it might just be us, but occasionally a mutual friend wants to try elk hunting (usually discovering that being successful means a lot of work and a lot of suck, and it’s not just cool Instagram shots!)

I looked at the Alaknak series hard but I’ve come to the conclusion that Canvas is better for the purpose of a truck camp. I do want something floored for use with the family during warmer months.

I’m leaning heavily toward this.

https://www.kodiakcanvas.com/12x12-cabin-lodge-and-stove-bundle/

I assume a 12x12 tent will do us fine most of the time, with the awning we can expand things a bit if we add some folks to camp. Anyone use this setup? Thoughts?

We also have come to the conclusion that a trailer is necessary. Once the extra gear comes out of the 150 and 110 qt coolers and the meat goes in, the short bed Tundra gets small quick.

Interested to hear thoughts on Kodiak canvas, or if anyone else has gone through a similar evolution when it comes to what tent(s) you take on a hunt.

ETA this is for rifle season btw.

After my December hunt (in a wall tent borrowed from a buddy) I should be able to say more. I’m expecting to live in it for a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished third season in CO with a 12-12 Kodiak Lodge tent. Super impressed with it. The floor is nice and the setup is simple for one person. I'd be interested to try a real wall tent but the simplicity of the Kodiak was a clear choice for me. Keep in mind the canvas has to be dried before putting away and I found it's easy to setup at home in the backyard. Also the price and bulk is a big plus

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
I used a Cabela's Alaknak in WY during October for a few years and it did pretty good for me, surviving all kinds of WY weather & wind. It is easier to set up vs a canvas wall tent, but when it's cold and really windy, you can't stop the drafts because the Alaknak has screen vents that don't have closures on them. I now have a 12X14 Davis wall tent with a wood burning stove, and I will never consider going back to an Alaknak. A canvas wall tent is the best truck camping / base camp option in my opinion. 2 people max in a 12X14 size tent with a stove, cots, and gear. As far as a floor goes, the detachable floor is the way to go. I used to not understand this, but since I have gone to a canvas wall tent with a detachable floor, I now realize this is the way to go. Just have a good 'mouse defense system' in place, which includes glue traps and poison.
And don’t try using a floor less in Texas ( or southern states) snakes and scorpions were a huge hassle. And the spiders, I have never seen so many spiders. We had to zip clothes bags tight, stuff shoes with paper towel, shake out the sleeping bags and stomp the crap out of bugs every day, it sucked. Love having a permanent ( sealed floor) now. And it works high elevations to.

bpitcher

FNG
I have the 12x12 Kodiak Cabin with the removable awning and absolutely love it. I have had it up under snow, sleet, and high winds in Texas Panhandle with no issue.

With the wood stove cranking, it is always comfortable - even down to the mid teens (as cold as i've stayed in it). You might have to crack a window sometimes or it will burn you out.

If space is a concern, you can always use the discobed cots and configure them into bunk beds. We have slept 4 this way.

I don't often use the awning, except for longer trips or trips with more than a couple people. It makes a great place for gear, firewood, a table and your kitchen.